- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat
- BattleTech: Urban Warfare Confirmed For June 4th Release
- Let’s Talk About MechWarrior: Dark Age
- The ‘Mechs That Time Forgot: Quad ‘Mechs
- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Constantin Assembly Plant M27A-E,|
Auxiliary Production Site 4
|Cost|| 2,780,940 C-bills |
|Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Bergan XIV Endo Steel|
|Armor||Forging ZK11 Standard|
|Engine||180 Firebox XL|
|Communications System||K9 Communications System|
|Targeting Tracking System||Able-Seven Sensor Suite|
The Piranha was developed by Clan Diamond Shark shortly before the Battle of Tukayyid to combat Inner Sphere conventional infantry and light vehicles. The sheer speed that the BattleMech is capable of has also made it something of a scout, though it lacks sophisticated electronic equipment. The Piranha is protected mostly by its speed, though it does mount four tons of armor. Relatively rare in the Inner Sphere following Tukayyid, by the late 3060s the Diamond Sharks maintained production of the Piranha primarily as a filler to pad out other sales to the various Clans. The design had also begun to appear in sizable numbers in the Flurry Clusters of Clan Ice Hellion who successfully bid for and won the rights to produce the design in 3066. Ideally suited to their "pack" tactics, the Hellions created new variants on the Piranha, though they maintain the original design philosophy.
Weapons and Equipment
The Piranha's main threat is its twelve Series XII Rotary Machine Guns. These are a serious threat to any foe on such a speedy 'Mech, especially if a Star of Piranhas operate in a pack, and such a large array allows the 'Mech to chew through an opponent's rear armor almost instantly. They are most deadly, however, to unarmored infantry, capable of wiping out an entire company in seconds. For work against hardened targets, the Piranha mounts a pair of Mk. 3 ER Medium Lasers and a single Series 1 ER Small Laser. Since the design only uses ten single heat sinks, the MechWarrior must still manage heat levels. The ammunition dependency of the Machine Guns ensure that Piranhas must stay close to supply lines, so most have been relegated to solahma or garrison roles.
- Piranha 3
- This version is more properly adapted to a scouting role by the addition of a Light Active Probe. It also uses upgraded heat sinks to allow for an all-energy configuration. Eight ER Micro Lasers and two Micro Pulse Lasers replace the pair of ER Medium Lasers. A Targeting Computer improves the accuracy of all the weapons. BV (1.0) = 992, BV (2.0) = 1,142
From MechWarrior Online:
- The first Piranha Games developed variant, the Piranha A is a support unit mounting two Anti-Missile Systems beside two machine guns in each side torso, supported by an ER Micro Laser in each arm and a center torso mounted ER Small Laser. Carrying a ton each of machine gun and AMS ammo, the Piranha A retains the standard Piranha Endo Steel frame and XL engine but is fitted with ten double heat sinks and clad in three and half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor.
- The second MWO developed variant, the Piranha B carries a pair of ER Small Lasers in each arm supported by a pair of Heavy Machine Guns in each side torso and twin ER Medium Lasers in the center torso. Built on the same body as the Piranha A, the B variant carries a single ton of heavy machine gun reloads.
- PIR-CT Cipher
- The Piranha Hero 'Mech, the Cipher carries three Machine Guns and three ER Micro Lasers in each side torso supported by a single Heavy Medium Laser in each arm and a center torso ER Small Laser. Carrying two tons of machine gun ammunition and ten double heat sinks, the Cipher is built on an 180 XL engine, an Endo Steel frame and is covered by just three tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor.
MechWarrior Online art of the Piranha
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 160-161, "Piranha"
- MUL online date for Piranha
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 94
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 134
- Invading Clans, p. 142
- Technical Readout: 3058, pp. 156-157, "Piranha"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 135
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 95
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 136
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 96
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 191
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 135
- MechWarrior Online "Piranha Sale Page"
- Invading Clans
- Master Unit List
- MechWarrior Online Piranha Sale Page
- Record Sheets: 3055/3058
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3085