|Manufacturer||Constantin Assembly Plant M27A-E,|
Auxiliary Production Site 4
|Cost|| 2,780,940 C-bills |
|Chassis||Bergan XIV Endo Steel|
|Armor||Forging ZK11 Standard|
|Engine||180 Firebox XL|
|Communications System||K9 Communications System|
|Targeting Tracking System||Able-Seven Sensor Suite|
The Piranha was developed by Clan Diamond Shark shortly before the Battle of Tukayyid to combat Inner Sphere conventional infantry and light vehicles. The sheer speed that the BattleMech is capable of has also made it something of a scout, though it lacks sophisticated electronic equipment. The Piranha is protected mostly by its speed, though it does mount four tons of armor. In the late 3060s, Clan Ice Hellion bid for and won the right to produce the 'Mech themselves. The Hellions have created new variants on the Piranha, though they maintain the original design philosophy.
 Weapons and Equipment
The Piranha's main threat is its twelve Series XII Rotary Machine Guns. These are a serious threat on such a speedy 'Mech to any foe, especially if a Star of Piranhas operate in a pack, and such a large array allows a Piranha to chew through an opponent's rear armor almost instantly. They are most deadly, however, to unarmored infantry, capable of wiping out an entire company in seconds. For work against hardened targets, the Piranha mounts a pair of Mk. 3 ER Medium Lasers and a single Series 1 ER Small Laser. Since the design only uses ten single heat sinks, the MechWarrior must still manage heat levels. The ammunition dependency of the Machine Guns ensure that Piranhas must stay close to supply lines, so most have been relegated to solahma or garrison roles.
- Piranha 3
- This version is more properly adapted to a scouting role by the addition of a Light Active Probe. It also uses upgraded heat sinks to allow for an all-energy configuration. Eight ER Micro Lasers and two Micro Pulse Lasers replace the pair of ER Medium Lasers. A Targeting Computer improves the accuracy of all the weapons. BV (1.0) = 992, BV (2.0) = 1,142
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 160-161, "Piranha"
- ↑ MUL online date for Piranha
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 94
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 134
- ↑ Invading Clans, p. 142
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Technical Readout: 3058, pp. 156-157, "Piranha"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 135
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 95
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 136
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 96
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3085, p. 191
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 135