|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Power Plant||Shinobi 240 engine|
|Fuel||400 - 5 tons|
|Communications System||Neil 4000|
|Tracking & Targeting System||Chichester ASR-26|
The Sai was created for the Draconis Combine as a new light Aerospace Fighter to replace the aging and ill-reputed Sholagar light fighter. Originally developed by the defunct Mangon Aeronautics in the early 3030s, the Sai design was discovered by Wakazashi Enterprises after the company takeover in 3045. The project was pushed into limited production, producing 30 fighters for field tests. However, the Schuyler plant begun retooling in 3048, to utilize newly recovered Star League technology. The Draconis Combine High Command put the prototypes to use, deploying them against House Davion in raids. On these raids, the Sai got to test its mettle against House Davion's Sparrowhawk and House Steiner's Seydlitz designs.
After refitting the plant, production began for a Star League tech-enhanced version of the S-3, called the S-4X. The fighter is noted for being the first in the 31st century to mount an Extra-Light Fusion engine. Shortly after production began, the Clan Invasion took place and the Sai plant on Schuyler fell into the hands of Clan Smoke Jaguar.
Clans Era and Beyond
The Smoke Jaguars discovered the blueprints for the Sai and upgraded it with Clan technology, designating the new design the S-4C and deploying it to several second line Clusters. It wasn't until 3059, when Operation Bulldog reclaimed the planet, that the Combine reclaimed the means to produce the Sai again. However, unable to continue production of the Clan-tech enhanced fighter, their engineers redesigned it into the S-4.
Weapons and Equipment
The original S-3 was armed with a nose-mounted Diverse Optics Type 30 Large Laser. For secondary armaments the craft has a pair of Diverse Optics Type 20 Medium Lasers mounted in each wing. The Shinobi 240 Fusion Engine allows the craft to reach a maximum thrust rate of 12, with 5 tons of fuel. The fighter is protected by 7.5 tons of standard armor.
- Based on the S-4C after recapture of the planet from Jaguars. The S-4 is a virtual copy of the Clan tech based version. Main weapon is a nose-mounted Inner Sphere version of the Extended Range PPC. However, the wing weapons are now single SRM 4 enhanced with the Artemis IV Fire Control System, with 50 rounds of ammo for them. The Double Heat sink count is retained at 14. BV (1.0)= 1,075; BV (2.0) = 1,005
- Created by Clan Smoke Jaguar after the capture of the plant during the Clan Invasion. The Sai features a Clan ER PPC as its main weapon. In the place of the lasers, four Streak 4-tubed SRMs launcher are split between each wings with 50 rounds. The fighter is also given 14 double heat sinks to cope with the heat. BV (1.0) = 1,762, BV (2.0) = 1,778
- The original Star League tech enhancement of the Sai, this design included an Extended Range Large Laser, with a single Medium Pulse Laser mounted in each wing. The craft is protected by 8 tons of ferro-aluminum armor. The fighter features 21 single heatsinks and Extra-Light Engine version of the 240 Shinobi Fusion engine. BV (1.0) = 842, BV (2.0) = 830
- During the 3060s, the Wakazashi created the S-7 variant. Taking advantage of the development of new weapons. The S-7 became known as an escort and is used on border worlds of the Combine. The nose-mounted ER PPC is swapped for a pair of Extended Range Medium Lasers and the wing weapons are changed out for MRM 10 Launchers with 48 rounds of ammunition. The Fuel for the variant was increased up to 6 tons. BV (1.0) = 1,016; BV (2.0) = 834
- MUL online date for the Sai
- Record Sheets: 3039, 247
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 245
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 236 S-3 Sai - Battlevalue 2.
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 391
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 236 S-3 Sai - History and update.
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 236 S-3 Sai - Background information from TRO:3039 on Sai.
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 236 S-3 Sai - Stats.
- Combat Operations, p. 126
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 66
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 392
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 249
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 67
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 393
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 394
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 68
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 395
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 252, "S-8 Sai includes BV".
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 396