Star Lord (JumpShip class)
|Star Lord Class JumpShip|
|Manufacturer||SelaSys Inc., Universal Air, Stellar Trek|
|Sail Diameter||1140 meters|
|Fuel||100 tons (250)|
|Top Thrust||0.1 Gs|
|KF Drive Integrity||6|
|Grav Decks||1 x 110 meters diameter|
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||6 Escape Pods|
|Heat Sinks||0 + 130|
The sheer expense of acquiring and maintaining a Star Lord class JumpShip, combined with the scarcity of spare parts, has ensured a decline in numbers throughout the Inner Sphere for this class. The Draconis Combine produces one and the Free Worlds League two of these increasingly rare ships annually. They serve almost exclusively as military vessels.
The six Docking collars on a Star Lord are equipped with grapples that guide approaching DropShips and can even reel in DropShips of up to 10,000 tons in mass. This makes the Star Lord useful for rescue operations of damaged craft, and most Successor States maintain several Star Lords solely for recovery operations.
The crew quarters on a Star Lord are notable for luxury not seen on any other starship. All 30 crew members have well furnished single occupancy rooms with private washrooms and automated food-preparation systems. The passenger quarters are not as luxurious, but still superior to most DropShip bunks.
Star Lords are known for problems with Jump Sail deployment. They also have rather small fusion engines which means quick-charging their jump drive takes at least 48 hours.
Star Lords are unarmed and rarely even carry fighters in their small craft hangars. For defense, they have to rely on their DropShips.
The standard Star Lord has hangars for four Small Craft and can carry 661 tons of cargo in six large cargo bays which are situated next to the DropShip docking collars. In addition, 50 staterooms are reserved for visitors or passengers.
Although no major variants are known, there are small differences among the various sources describing the Star Lord class which may constitute different variants:
- In DropShips and JumpShips, the drive integrity is given as 5 and provides incomplete stats with 13,740 tons of mass unaccounted for; the six 500-ton cargo bays and bunks for 50 passengers are mentioned in the text but not on the in the stats.
- The Technical Readout: 3057 does mention the six cargo bays with their 500 ton capacity, but the stats printed give only 60 tons of cargo space overall which may be in error.
- The Technical Readout: 3057 Revised keeps the same six cargo bays but the cargo capacity for each is 100 tons and the printed stats list 661 tons which is most likely correct given AeroTech 2 calculations.
- The Mercenary's Handbook 3055 gives the small craft capacity as six, not four.
Star Lord Ship Gallery
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 275
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, pp. 104-105