Magellan (Support Vehicle)
- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Has Arrived - Here's What You Can Expect
- The 'Mech That Looks Most Like A Turkey
- Community Outreach - How Michael Todd Met Robert N. Charrette
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- Read more →
- This article is about the vehicle. For other uses, see Magellan (disambiguation).
|Magellan Series Four|
|Manufacturer|| Miter Interstellar Research |
|Use|| Exploration |
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Chassis Type (Size)||Tracked (Medium)|
|Cruise Speed||20 km/h|
|Flank Speed||30 km/h|
|Power Plant||Fuel Cell (Electrical)|
|Fire Control System||Basic Fire Control|
|Armament||2x Machine Guns|
|Fitted Equipment|| 4x Mounted Searchlights |
2x Manipulator Arms
|Barrier Armor Rating (BAR)||BAR 5|
|Crew||3 (2 enlisted/non-rated, 1 gunner)|
The Magellan Series Four is a Tracked Support Vehicle which is used for deep space expeditions on unknown or hazardous worlds. The large vehicle was created by a partnership of Donovan Limited and Miter Interstellar Research, when the former company was on an Explorer Corps contract mission discovered an ancient Cortez Series N explorer vehicle in an uninhabited system named CJW-7228 outside of the Free Worlds League in the 3040s. Unable to completely replicate the original vehicle, the Magellan is a "modern" take on the ancient high-tech wonder from the Star League era.
Equipment and Capabilities
Designed to use the best civilian technology available, the Magellan Series Four is built on a Tech D Chassis, which has been fitted with Amphibious and Environmental Sealing. It gives this vehicle all-environment capacities needed for wide spread of hazardous conditions on a unexplored world. The vehicle is powered by a Fuel Cell engine, giving its electrical system enough power to motor through its surroundings at careful 32 kph. Its hull is protected by BAR 5 rated commercial armor, which is able to handle mild hazardous terrains its crew may encounter.
For self-defense purposes the vehicle is armed with a pair of military grade Machine Guns mounted in the vehicle's turret. The weapon is not accurate, only having a Basic Fire Control system, however it comes with 100 rounds ammunition to allow the two guns to number of encounters until it returns to its base.
For its primary mission, the vehicle is equipped with a pair of manipulating arms mounted in front of the vehicle, giving the pilot the ability to handle delicate items with dexterity. The vehicle's Cargo Bay can hold up to nearly 10 tons of cargo, with an access door to the rear with a 3-ton lifthoist to load and unload. The Series Four has a 5-ton Infantry Bay designed for additional personnel accompanying the crew on an expedition.
- Cortez (original) - Cortez series original prototype was introduced in 2116, which spurred the development and production of the series.
- Cortez Series N - A larger and more capable ground-based exploration vehicle that Magellan series was based on.
- Shackleton AESV - A modular successor to the Magellan series, which was more spiritual successor to the Cortez.
As of this writing, there is no published record sheet for this vehicle.
The vehicle's prototype and earlier versions of the Cortez have not been detailed published details on them including record sheets or entries on the Master Unit List.
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex, p. 44, "Donovan-Miter Magellan"
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex Revised, p. 40, "Magellan Series Four"
- online date for the Magellan (Support Vehicle)