- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
|Packrat Long Range Patrol Vehicle (PKR-T5)|
|Manufacturer||Bowie Industries, Gienah Combat Vehicles, Robertson Technologies|
|Engine||Doorman 120 Fusion Reactor|
|Speed||Cruise 75kph/Flank 118kph (7/11) km/h|
|Communications System||O/P COMTES|
|Targeting Tracking System||O/P 2000JSA|
The Packrat is a speedy eight-wheeled vehicle that is designed for deep infiltration and sabotage. First produced by Robertson Technologies, the vehicle is meant to operate on its own deep behind enemy lines for extended periods of time. While excelling in this role, the Packrat suffered during the Succession Wars as, with the decline in knowledge brought about by the conflicts, many had their advanced fusion engines removed for use elsewhere. The technological renaissance brought about by the Helm Memory Core recovery also proved to be a turning point for the Packrat, as manufacturers in the Lyran Commonwealth were able to put fusion-powered Packrats back into production and help spread them across the Inner Sphere.
Weapons and Equipment
The Packrat is respectably armed but normally uses its high speed to evade combat, as its role is not to fight head-on battles but conduct long-range reconnaissance and raiding missions. Mounted in front is a Harvester 20K SRM-6, supplied by a two-ton ammo bin. Covering the rear is an HS Flamer System, useful for anti-infantry work and laying down concealment to effect an escape. The Packrat does carry an impressive amount of armoring for its size, with four tons helping the vehicle hold its own in limited confrontations.
The six-ton Doorman 120 fusion engine not only gives the Packrat almost exceptional speed and maneuverability but untethers it from needing refueling during it's sometimes months-long missions. Each of its eight solid rubber tires, impossible to deflate, have their own suspension and drive system. Supplies and repair equipment are stored efficiently, allowing the one-ton Infantry Bay to carry up to ten troopers, with fold-down cots providing sleeping arrangements for eight. Equally important is the Packrat's O/P COMTES communications system, the most powerful one of its size. While not as capable of those used during the Star League era, the O/P is notable for its ability to transmit over great distances and provide local ECM coverage.
- This 2824 variant was introduced in the Capellan Confederation and expands the infantry bay to three tons, allowing for an entire platoon to be carried. The six-tube missile launcher was replaced with a Hovertec SRM-2 to make room for this alteration, although it still carried two tons of ammunition. BV (2.0) = 263
- Pack Rat Gespenst
- Developed by Loki, the Pack Rat Gespenst is protected by Vehicular Stealth Armor, a Bloodhound Active Probe, and an Angel ECM Suite. Equipped with an XXL Fusion Engine increases ground speed to 96km/h. Limited Amphibious Equipment and Environmental Sealing protect the crew from hostile environments, and a four ton battle armor compartment prohibits the use of any weapons.
- MUL online date for the Packrat
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 132-133
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 22-23
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 36
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 37
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 38
- Experimental Technical Readout: Phantoms, p. 8
- Combat Operations, p. 120