Romanov's Crusaders was formed by Free Worlds League Captain-General Thomas Marik, becoming operational in 3055. It was formed for the foreign born MechWarriors who had traveled from all parts of the Inner Sphere to join his Knights of the Inner Sphere regiment. Since politically Captain-General felt it was unwise to incorporate 40 foreign-born warriors into the League standard military, he formed an independent command to take in these Warriors. The unit was set up as a mercenary unit that would be on exclusive contract with the League.
Captain-General Marik tapped Galahad Battalion commander, Sir Krispin Romanov, to take command of the new regiment. The unit's formation was widely accepted by outside factions. However, political factions within the League didn't view the unit in such a favorable light. Prince Kirc Cameron-Jones of the Principality of Regulus accused the Captain-General of using double standards in forming this unit. He was concerned that the Crusaders would receive favored status, which would alienate other mercenary units employed by the League. Also, it would be available to other nations, in their own efforts to spread the return of chivalry.
Every member of the "mercenaries" has sworn a personal oath of fealty to Thomas Marik. The unit's potential candidates have to undertake a "quest" before formally joining the unit. Recruits must not return unless they successfully complete this quest. Due to the unusual and disparate nature of these quests, the insignia of the Crusaders can be seen throughout the Inner Sphere. They have been welcomed especially in the Periphery, where they have enhanced the Crusaders' reputation of chivalrous conduct.
Operations in the Inner Sphere
The unit was stationed on Connaught when in 27 October 3068 it deserted its garrison assignment and left the system on 4 November. It was ruled to be in breach of contract on the same day.
The Crusaders were redeployed on the orders of the "false Marik" to Oriente. There they were assigned to the defense forces on the planet. Rumors suggest that the unit received major upgrades.
In 3076, the Crusaders dropped onto Atreus to rescue Thomas Marik's wife and children. They sustained serious damage on their approach, and later took more damage from their fight with the Fifteenth Division. Though they were able to recover some survivors of the Knights of the Inner Sphere, the Crusaders were destroyed by the Fifteenth Division.
|Commanding Officers of Romanov's Crusaders|
|Sir Colonel||Kripsin Romanov||3055 - 3067|
- The Executive Officer of the unit was Major Rynn Johannsson between 3055 and 3067.
At its formation, the unit was a mix of elite and green pilots. Sir Romanov worked hard at integration, but the unit had no coherent tactics.
As of 3067, the unit has never fought well as a regiment and tries to avoid doing so if possible. Its members excel as individual duelists and in small formations.
Romanov’s Crusaders (Regiment/Regular/Fanatical) 
- CO (CO: Colonel Sir Kripsin Romanov) 
- 1st Battalion - CO: Sir Colonel Krispin Romanov
- 2nd Battalion - CO: Major Miaka Tanahome
- 3rd Battalion - CO: Major Antoinette Thurlow
- Note: At this point in time the unit was stationed on Connaught. The unit had a mixed complement of BattleMechs. From wrecked 'Mechs for dispossessed pilots who joined to pair Clan OmniMechs. Generally 'Mechs were purchased from Free Worlds League producers, while purchasing some 'Mech equipped with Swords, such as the No-Dachi.
- Romanov's Crusaders (Reinforced BattleMech Regiment)
- 1st Battalion - CO: Sir. Colonel Krispin Romanov
- 2nd Battalion - CO: Major Miaka Tanahome
- 3rd Battalion - CO: Major Miranda McPherson
- 4th Battalion - Co: Major Hiro Watanabi
When formed, the unit had no supporting combat regiments or transportation units. By 3067, the unit possessed only half the DropShips needed to move the entire unit. A Star Lord-class JumpShip from the Periphery volunteered its services to the Crusaders.
Force Specific Rules from Field Manual: Mercenaries Revised
When using the Crusaders, rolling up skills based on the Veteran table for pilots. Due to their specialization in dueling, the Crusaders suffer from a -2 initiative if they field more than more one 'Mech. This penalty increases with more units on the field, -3 for lances, -4 for companies, -5 for battalions or larger. These penalties can be offset by Crusader's battalions leaders. Most battalion leaders in 3067 gains their formation with +1 initiative. This adds up as more are present, with exception of Major Hiro Watanabi has bonus of +2 initiative. These individuals must be active on the field to gain these bonuses.
- ↑ Field Manual: Mercenaries, p. 80 - "Main article for Romanov's Crusaders".
- ↑ Field Manual: Mercenaries Revised, p. 97 - "Potential Knights questing have enhanced the Crusader's reputation".
- ↑ Blake Ascending: A Jihad Compilation, p. 182, 192 - "Crusaders desert their duty during the Jihad".
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Atreus, p. 12 "Aftermath"
- ↑ Field Manual: Mercenaries, p. 97 - "Tactics" - Excellent Duelist, tries to operate in small groups.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Field Manual: Mercenaries, p. 108
- ↑ Field Manual: Mercenaries, p. 80 - "Regimental information. Only 35% of the unit equipment was up to that current high stands of technology".
- ↑ Field Manual: Mercenaries Revised, p. 97 - "Support".
- ↑ Field Manual: Merceneries Revised, p. 134 - "Force Specific Rules - Romanov's Crusaders penalties and bonuses".