- Community Outreach - The Cauldron's Bear_cl4w and Krasnopesky Talk MechWarrior Online
- MechWarrior Online's Renaissance Is All Thanks To The Developers Putting Players In Charge
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2021
- Why You Should Actually Trust BattleTech’s Mysteriously Short-Ranged Autocannons
- Read more →
- 1 Archive
- 2 Current
Remove of missing copyright tag
Hello Cache, can you tell me how I can remove the missing copyright information tag by pictures how had them. Or is that an job for the admin's? For example the Battle of Luthien (44).jpg. With best regards
- Just fill in the information in the image summary template. Luthien(44).jpg needs a summary. But please leave the "artist" blank if you don't know their name. It helps other editors locate files that need info.--Cache (talk) 23:52, 5 February 2020 (EST)
German novel cover artists
Hey Chache, you changed the artist info on german covers of Black Dragon (novel), Test of Vengeance and Binding Force. Thank you for correcting it! Could you please tell, from where these images originate? I am completing this list on German novels and are desperately looking for the original source of some of the German novel covers. Thanks for your hints, best regards Phasis (talk) 05:31, 2 May 2020 (EDT)
- Hi Phasis. Black Dragon is a copy of File:Hot_Spots_Cover.jpg, Test of Vengeance is a flipped copy of File:Warrior_-_Riposte_(anniversary).jpg, and Binding Force is from File:Heir_to_the_Dragon_(reprint).jpg. Also, the German cover for Blood of Heroes is from the Color Reference Section of The BattleTech Compendium, and Star Lord (novel) is from the color plates of BattleTech Compendium: The Rules of Warfare. I don't know the artist for either of those at the moment.
- I noticed that you are adding original covers to the gallery in these articles while that cover image is already present in the infobox. Is there a reason for this duplication? It's not a violation of any policy that I am aware of, but I do feel it is unnecessary to show the same image twice. I do enjoy the work you have done so far in adding German translations to articles. Thank you. Regards,--Cache (talk) 10:23, 2 May 2020 (EDT)
- Hey Cache, thanks for your hints and your appreciation. I added all covers to the section, because it felt more complete this way. Some novels were re-issued with new cover plus the covers in other languages. So far I just have added the german covers, I know of at least some french novels. I think its nicer to have a complete gallery with all covers, instead of having to scroll up. It felt like it outweighs the redundancy. best regards Phasis (talk) 07:59, 3 May 2020 (EDT)
Deleting Role Categories
Respectfully, can this be reconsidered? It seems MUL supports looking up units by role. For brawlers it lists:
- BattleMech 482
- Combat Vehicle 85
- IndustrialMech 11
- Protomech 18
- Support Vehicle 64
- Role is a very arbitrary description, and thus iffy for wiki purposes. If you're defining it by "the MUL says so" then it boils down to copying the MUL. Sarna shouldn't try to out-MUL the MUL. My 2c on the matter. I don't feel strong about it either way. Frabby (talk) 10:46, 16 May 2020 (EDT)
The 3025 problem
I was unhappy with the "Emblematic Mechs" sections of the state military articles because to me they instantly suffered a rather dogmatic problem that blights the BT fan base, I was actually considering removing them. Unfortunately to me your revision of the FWL just makes the issue even more pronounced by the fact that it only includes TRO:3025 designs. We really need to get away from this grognard attitude in my opinion.--Dmon (talk) 17:57, 29 June 2020 (EDT)
- Re-read this and I don't want you to think it is directed at you personally, I am just frustrated with what I see as a very narrow view of this specific topic.--Dmon (talk) 19:27, 29 June 2020 (EDT)
- I have no problem with you removing it, I was just trying to add a fix with some sort of canon information and citation. FWL was easy, as production was spelled out. FedSuns... not so much. I gave up at that point.--Cache (talk) 16:25, 30 June 2020 (EDT)
- For what it's worth, I don't think a narrow view is necessarily a bad thing, as long as it is spelled out as such and the data supplied is canon (with citations). --Cache (talk) 16:29, 30 June 2020 (EDT)
"Image" vs. "Logo"
- Once in a while things work out as well in reality as they do in my head.--Cache (talk) 20:07, 25 May 2021 (EDT)
- I think uploading and/or improving images in articles is number one on my list. I do enjoy a (fairly) mindless grind once in a while, hence some of my "projects" that involve minor changes over a large number of articles. Writing articles or sections thereof is dead last. --Cache (talk) 17:54, 26 May 2021 (EDT)
- I'm not surprised by your answer. I can't tell you very much right now, but I've gotten permission from Nic to develop a proposal, for which I think you'd be a good candidate. Would you mind answering the following:
- Would you say you know Sarna image policy and procedures well?
- Have you been involved in shaping (or discussing) image policy here?
- Have you ever defended your (or someone else's) image actions (to an admin or editor), using policy (or a modification to then-existing policy)?
- Who (other editor/admin) would you say is as involved (or more so) in images as yourself?
- Would you be comfortable being the go-to person that others directed issues to, whether for guidance, feedback, or issue resolution?
- Sorry for the delay.
1) I don't have the policy memorized by any means, but I am familiar with it.
2) I have discussed the image policy in the past and made suggestions for improvement of "image source" policy. Those two stand out at the moment.
3) I don't know about "defended", but I have explained my reasoning a time or two.
4) Possibly dmon, Neuling, Phasis, and Pserratv.
5) I wouldn't mind. I cannot promise increased availability, but I'm on/learning discord now.
--Cache (talk) 16:36, 28 May 2021 (EDT)
- Sorry for the delay.
I think what you just stated in the summary field should be included in a cite (for that article passage). A note like that—from a primary source—would be a nearly-unassailable fact.--Revanche (talk|contribs) 11:10, 31 May 2021 (EDT)
- When I get a chance, I will write an essay on that topic, and my other project with IWM around the same time. They'll be easier to reference that way.--Cache (talk) 14:12, 31 May 2021 (EDT)
BattleTech Style Guide
I've been (recently) meaning to develop a policy for how words and names are handled in-universe. so that we editors can point to it to help other editors develop internally-consistent articles. I just stumbled across Mbear's own such project, stalled since 2014. Instead of re-inventing the wheel...The incomplete policy is here, if you'd like to jump in and take part in its development.--Revanche (talk|contribs) 08:27, 3 June 2021 (EDT)
Addition of Brunel Dump Truck (LMR) image
Hi Cache. The image was a gift from Sippy the Mead Monk of the Black Pants Legion. We both agreed that the Brunel LRM needed some love and so this artwork was born. --foxy-of-many-lives (talk) 08:45, 14 June 2021 (GMT)
Images as Sources
Cache, pre-SE employment request for you here. In the last few days, we've experienced the opportunity to identify information as canon based upon that proclamation (in this case, Ray Arrastia). I wanted to capture the "proof" in a more permanent fashion, so grabbed and uploaded 2 screencaps:
- File:Unreleased coordinates 2021-06-21 (CGL permission).png
- File:Tamar Rising coordinates 2021-06-16 (CGL).png
Would you please generate up a properly-filled out Image tag for these two, to serve as Policy-level examples for future such images serving as citable sources? If you need details, please see this discussion post (or ask me). Thank you.--Revanche (talk|contribs) 22:12, 20 June 2021 (EDT)