I have been enjoying the BattleTech universe since the around 1990. I own the sorely outdated Brian's Cache website and am an administrator over at Lords of the Battlefield. This wiki has been incredibly useful for me for years now and it is about time that I contribute. Though I'm not much on writing articles, I will be focused mainly on cleaning up what is here (grammar and format) and uploading new or higher resolution picture replacements. My BattleTech library is extensive so if you have any requests, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
"As at (year)..."
- Noticed while correcting "The Wars of Reaving", there are hundreds of instances of "as at" being used instead of "as of". This is going to be more difficult to correct because of how the search function works.
- Search for "as at" [Last inspected: Hean]
- Technical Readout: 3025/Revised (ASFs in work)
- Technical Readout: 3026
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050/Revised
- Technical Readout: 3055/Revised/Upgrade (ASFs INW)
- Technical Readout: 3057/Revised (Jumpships C/W; DropShips, WarShips INW)
- Technical Readout: 3075 (Inner Sphere & Clan BA C/W)
- Technical Readout: Prototypes (Aerospace units C/W)
- Battle Armor Equipment (images from various sources)
- Classic BattleTech Companion
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers (Personalities, logos, flags)
Technical Readout: 2750(complete) Technical Readout: 3058/Upgrade(complete) Technical Readout: 3060(complete) Technical Readout: 3067, including cover art and info on CGL reprint(complete) Technical Readout: Project Phoenix(complete) Era Digest: Golden Century(complete) Experimental Technical Readout: ComStar,'Mechs only(complete) Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 3,'Mechs only(complete) Historical: Brush Wars (Personalities)(complete) Mercenaries Supplemental (color plate unit logos)(complete) Mercenaries Supplemental II (color plate unit logos)(complete) Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents(complete)
- I will be trying to add consistency to the way unit logos are presented. Issues I have seen are:
- A new style logo has been uploaded in place of the old. I don't think this is right. Units with different styles of logos throughout the years should have a gallery showcasing the history of them. This includes faction logos. The Clans, for example, have plain, jeweled, and marbeled logos, not to mention the battle-damaged logos of the Jihad era.
- Duplicate unit logos have been uploaded, and added to different articles. Updating one obviously does not update the duplicate. These need to be found and corrected. Example: File:32ndgaledon.jpg and File:Galedonregulars32.png
- I believe units with no logo image of their own should display the logo of their parent unit, when available, rather than the faction logo. For example: The 59th Cobra Guards (perma-link, possibly outdated) should display the Gamma Galaxy logo, not the Clan Cobra Logo. (Currently there are over 20 CCC sub-units displaying the CCC logo. That seems like a lot when at most it should be Galaxies and Keshiks.)
- Is it "unit logo", "unit crest", or "unit insignia"? I'll probably never get to the bottom of this one, but I'm putting it out there.
- Start at the top—Category:Military Organizations (Alliance Military Corps)
- Review Field Manuals, scenario books, etc. for original appearances of 'Mechs.
Fill out image summary info for Mercenary's Handbook Gallery
- Galleries (category) in general.
- Revise formatting of ToC's as encountered to more closely match their respective sources. (Bullets are horribly overused, especially considering there is only one type.)
- Change variant names of units to match official record sheets/MUL (as encountered)
- Verify family trees of original House books and add citations where needed:
Reference Errors (complete)
- I took this one on because it looked relatively simple. It would be time consuming but could be completed one page at a time, or, preferably, in chunks. There were over 500 pages with reference errors when I began. Now there are only a handful of user pages, which I'm not going to touch. What kind of reference errors did I fix? I would guess over 90% were copy/paste errors . A new map comes out and someone adds ownership data for the year that map represents. It would be crazy for them to type the reference every time, as that data would cover hundreds of planets, thus, hundreds of pages. So they copy and paste the reference. Problem is, there's a typo in the reference. Now this typo is repeated for the hundreds of pages that were edited. This is where the "Show preview" button is your friend. At the beginning of a mass edit, preview and scroll down to the references section. Make sure no big, ugly, red errors pop up. Correct them if they do. Then copy/paste the correct references.
- Another, now terribly familiar, mass reference error is due to overuse of the <ref name=X> </ref> tags. This happens when the same page is cited multiple times, using the same RefName but a different description each time. If you're going to cite multiple sections on a page, only once each, just use the <ref> </ref> tags. Again, the "Show preview" button is your friend.
- A third error that I saw pretty often was careless deletion. Editors delete portions of content that contain the initial <ref name="RefName"> </ref> tags and do not add them back to the remaining content. This leaves orphaned <ref name="RefName"/> tags that don't know where they belong. Again, please use the "Show preview" button when editing.
- Don't know what I'm going on about with those last two? Please read the Help page, Detailed References section.
"The" Wars of Reaving (complete)
- Wars of Reaving is an event. The Wars of Reaving and The Wars of Reaving Supplemental are products. I inspected all links to "Wars of Reaving" to ensure proper usage, adding "The" where necessary, and corrected dozens of bibliography and reference issues along the way.
- Policy:Manual of Style
- Gallery of New Files
- Images Missing Copyright Information
- Sources Under Moratorium
- Sources Needing Updates
- Deletion Candidates
- Not used often but still useful templates:
- References for books with new cover artwork/branding with a reprint TRO3055U, TRO3060, TRO3067
- "Comment out" rather than delete empty sections:
- <!--Commented out due to lack of information