- 1 Profile
- 2 Personal Projects
- 3 Often-Used Resources
I have been enjoying the BattleTech universe since the around 1990. I own the sorely outdated Brian's Cache website and am an administrator over at Lords of the Battlefield. This wiki has been incredibly useful for me for years now and it is about time that I contribute. Though I'm not much on writing articles, I will be focused mainly on cleaning up what is here (grammar and format) and uploading new or higher resolution picture replacements. My BattleTech library is extensive so if you have any requests, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
"As at (year)..."
- Noticed while correcting "The Wars of Reaving", there are hundreds of instances of "as at" being used instead of "as of" (i.e. American English). This is going to be more difficult to correct because of how the search function works.
- Search for "as at"
- Battle Armor Equipment (images from various sources)
- Classic BattleTech Companion
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers (Personalities, logos, flags)
- Technical Readout: 3025/Revised (ASFs in work)
- Technical Readout: 3026
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050/Revised/Upgrade (Upgrade SL ASFs C/W)
- Technical Readout: 3055/Revised/Upgrade (ASFs INW)
- Technical Readout: 3075 (Inner Sphere & Clan BA INW)
- Technical Readout: Prototypes (Aerospace units C/W)
Era Digest: Golden Century(complete) Experimental Technical Readout: ComStar,'Mechs only(complete) Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 3,'Mechs only(complete) Experimental Technical Readout: Steiner,'Mechs only(complete) Historical: Brush Wars (Personalities)(complete) Historical: Operation Klondike (Personalities)(complete) House Davion (The Federated Suns)(complete) Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents(complete) Mercenaries Supplemental (color plate unit logos)(complete) Mercenaries Supplemental II (color plate unit logos)(complete) Technical Readout: 2750(complete) Technical Readout: 3057/Revised(complete) Technical Readout: 3058/Upgrade(complete) Technical Readout: 3060(complete) Technical Readout: 3067, including cover art and info on CGL reprint(complete) Technical Readout: Project Phoenix(complete)
This is a work in progress. I am trying to keep consistency with the names of all image files. In addition to following the image policy, this is partly for my own sanity and partly for organizing display in the various categories. I don't like seeing Morgan Kell.jpg, Morgan Kell.png, MorganKell.jpg, Morgan Kell1.jpg, Morgan Kell (1).jpg, etc, all in one gallery. Of course, unless I write this down, I won't remember it in order to keep the consistency I desire. (Planetary/flag and unit logo formats are described in subsequent sections.)
- Use JPG format for any file where a transparent background is not necessary.
- Do not use special characters with the exception of a hypen -, underscore _, or parenthesis ()
- Other special characters work initially but have caused display errors when the wiki software was upgraded.
- These errors are only discovered by inspecting individual articles.
- There are a lot of articles to inspect.
- ("Name" should mirror the person's article name.)
Instance Rule Example(s) Single image used from source Firstname Lastname_AbbrSource.jpg Yorinaga Kurita_BTLegends.jpg
Lefar (Clan Jade Falcon)_TBfTwycross.jpg
Bishop (328th Assault)_WCSB.jpg
Multiple images used from source Firstname Lastname_AbbrSource pXX.jpg Hanse Davion HDTFS p6.jpg
Hanse Davion HDTFS p177.jpg
Instance Rule Example(s) Single generic BVAE image used from source BVAEName_AbbrSource.jpg Axman_RGilClan v12.jpg
Multiple generic BVAE images used from source BVAEName_AbbrSource pXX.jpg Rifleman_HDTFS p38.jpg
Individual (named) BVAE BVAEName (Name)_AbbrSource.jpg Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang)_BTLegends.jpg
Panther (Katana Kat)_BTLegends.jpg
BVAE of specific pilot BVAEName (Pilot Name)_AbbrSource.jpg Archer (Jaime Wolf)_BTLegends.jpg
Valkyrie (Justin Allard)_BTLegends.jpg
BVAE painted in specific unit colors BVAEName (UnitName)_AbbrSource.jpg Timber Wolf (Black Widow Company)_BoTukayyid.jpg
Orion (5th Regulan Hussars) FMFWL.jpg
- Mine the Turning Points and Touring the Stars (series) for planetary maps, flags, and orbital views. (Plus unit logos and other images, where appropriate.)
- Consistent file name formats allow for alphabetization when viewed in image categories:
- Planet Name Planetary Map.png
- Planet Name Flag.png
- Planet Name Orbital View.jpg
- Review all logos to eliminate duplicates and upload better versions if possible.
- I will be trying to add consistency to the way unit logos are presented.
- User:Cache/Unit Logos
Review and improve regional maps, being sure they are taken from canon sources and have proper attribution.
See: BattleTechWiki:Project Planets/Planet Overhaul/Faction Map Gallery
(Calderon Protectorate complete. Use as example for image size and naming.)
There's a lot to add. Tracking progress by section here:
The Star League Era The Succession Wars Era The Clan Invasion Era
- The Civil War Era
- The Jihad Era
- The Dark Age Era
- The ilClan Era
- Review Field Manuals, scenario books, etc. for original appearances of 'Mechs.
Fill out image summary info for Mercenary's Handbook Gallery(Complete)
- Galleries (category) in general.
- Revise formatting of ToC's as encountered to more closely match their respective sources. (Bullets are horribly overused, especially considering there is only one type.)
- Change variant names of units to match official record sheets/MUL (as encountered)
- TCI Model Sets article needs images.
- Review Esparza's image uploads for duplicates with existing images and complete image summary info.
Capitalize "Pilots" in the titles of all sub-categories of Category:Notable MechWarriors and Pilots and update all corresponding pilot articles.(Complete)
- Add current articles to Notables categories. Found in TRO:3025, TRO:3039, TRO:3050U, TRO:3055U, TRO:3058U, TRO:3075, TRO:SW, TRO:Jihad, and the Rec Guides (A through R complete with "Capitalize" task. New 'Mechs/Pilots need research.)
Reference Errors (complete)
- I took this one on because it looked relatively simple. It would be time consuming but could be completed one page at a time, or, preferably, in chunks. There were over 500 pages with reference errors when I began. Now there are only a handful of user pages, which I'm not going to touch. What kind of reference errors did I fix? I would guess over 90% were copy/paste errors . A new map comes out and someone adds ownership data for the year that map represents. It would be crazy for them to type the reference every time, as that data would cover hundreds of planets, thus, hundreds of pages. So they copy and paste the reference. Problem is, there's a typo in the reference. Now this typo is repeated for the hundreds of pages that were edited. This is where the "Show preview" button is your friend. At the beginning of a mass edit, preview and scroll down to the references section. Make sure no big, ugly, red errors pop up. Correct them if they do. Then copy/paste the correct references.
- Another, now terribly familiar, mass reference error is due to overuse of the <ref name=X> </ref> tags. This happens when the same page is cited multiple times, using the same RefName but a different description each time. If you're going to cite multiple sections on a page, only once each, just use the <ref> </ref> tags. Again, the "Show preview" button is your friend.
- A third error that I saw pretty often was careless deletion. Editors delete portions of content that contain the initial <ref name="RefName"> </ref> tags and do not add them back to the remaining content. This leaves orphaned <ref name="RefName"/> tags that don't know where they belong. Again, please use the "Show preview" button when editing.
- Don't know what I'm going on about with those last two? Please read the Help page, Detailed References section.
"The" Wars of Reaving (complete)
- Wars of Reaving is an event. The Wars of Reaving and The Wars of Reaving Supplemental are products. I inspected all links to "Wars of Reaving" to ensure proper usage, adding "The" where necessary, and corrected dozens of bibliography and reference issues along the way.
- Policy:Manual of Style
- Gallery of New Files
- Wanted Files/Redlinks
- Images Missing Copyright Information
- Sources Needing Updates
- Deletion Candidates
- BattleTechWiki:Project GameRules
- Not used often but still useful templates:
- Template:Deletion (Move files rather than deleting old when uploading new file types.)
- References for books with new cover artwork/branding with a reprint TRO3055U, TRO3060, TRO3067
- "Comment out" rather than delete empty sections:
- <!--Commented out due to lack of information
Persistent List of Sources and their Moratorium Dates
|Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 25||20221228|
|Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 26||20230111|
|Alpha Strike Boxed Set||20230125|
|Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 27||20230125|
|The Fox Hunt||20230125|
|Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 28||20230209|
|The Damocles Sanction||20230228|
|Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 29||20230306|
|Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 30||20230320|
|Fight for what you Love||20230327|
|Hansen’s Roughriders Battle Lance||20230402|
|Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 31||20230403|
|Eridani Light Horse Hunter Lance||20230404|
|Innocent, and Defenseless||20230410|
|Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 32||20230417|
|Escape from Jardine||20230423|
|Perception of Victory||20230510|