17th Donegal Guards
- Original BattleTech Pods In Grand Rapids Michigan Moving To New Dedicated Site
- New BattleTech Box Sets Delayed
- Community Outreach - Interview with Jennifer Brozek, Author Of “The Nellus Academy Incident”
- BattleTech Releases Teaser Video For New Expansion: Flashpoint
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games, "MechWarrior 3050"
- Read more →
|Seventeenth Donegal Guards RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Parent Formation||Donegal Guards|
Star League Era
Third Succession War
The Seventeenth was one of the most effective units available to the LCAF, but after the Third Succession War things turned sour. In 3002 the Seventeenth guarded Loric, fighting off Free Worlds League units. The extensive combat cost the unit nearly half its troops and took many years to rebuild.
Fourth Succession War
For Archon Katrina Steiner destroying DCMS 'Mech forces during the Fourth Succession War was as significant a goal as capturing territory; as a result, the Seventeenth was deployed to destroy the Twenty-second Dieron Regulars on Dyev as a part of Operation HOLDUR in June 3029. The Regulars were a well-led, seasoned unit, and when the Guards landed they discovered that the Regulars held the two mountain passes that controlled the water supply to the Epsi River Basin, a prosperous region of Dyev. Colonel Tommy Gaherty made numerous attempts to dislodge the Regulars from their position, but the Guards were unable to pry them out of the mountain passes, and the battle for Dyev became a siege that only ended when the Gray Death Legion arrived to reinforce the guards in November. Although the Regulars' position remained highly defensible, defending both approaches would have spread the Kuritan forces too thinly, something the Twenty-second's commander knew. The Twenty-second staged a breakout, racing past the Guards to meet with their DropShips in the Basin before abandoning Dyev.
Ten years later the Seventeenth spent the War of 3039 garrisoning Lyons instead of attacking the Combine. In 3044 the Seventeenth and the Fifth Lyran Guards were assigned to Skondia. There they took heavy losses (including the death of their command staff by Draconian special forces troops), but were able to withdraw in good order. The AFFC High Command then shifted the Seventeenth to the Draconis March; The Seventeenth took up station on McComb. During the Clan Invasion the Seventeenth returned to Lyran space, taking station on Jabuka. In 3051 Clan Steel Viper's Alpha Galaxy landed on the world and shattered the unit, forcing the survivors to withdraw. The unit wouldn't reach full strength until 3057, when it was assigned to support the Sixth Lyran Guards on Rasalgethi.
FedCom Civil War
The FedCom Civil War saw the Seventeenth on Rasalgethi, where they cleverly eluded a trap set for them set by the Sixth Lyran Guards. Once free of the world the Seventeenth was reassigned to Fort Loudon, where it faced Clan Jade Falcon forces. The fighting was bloody, but the Seventeenth kept the system.
During the Jihad the Seventeenth landed on the Free Worlds League world of Shiloh and faced several FWLM units there. After a month of fighting the unit was effectively destroyed. Half the Seventeenth's troops were repatriated back to the Lyran Alliance after Operation Broken Fist finished, but the other half of the troops were still missing. As of 3079 the Seventeenth hadn't been rebuilt.
The Dark Age
The Seventeenth supported Duke Vedet Brewer in his coup against Archon Melissa Steiner. However, they did not invade Tharkad with other forces loyal to Brewer. They remained on Donegal. This proved fortunate, as they were in position to harass Clan Wolf forces when they invaded Donegal. The Seventeenth engaged in so many strike and fade operations against the Wolves that eventually the Wolves had to leave the world. They remained as the Donegal garrison, surrounded by discreet LIC officers and the Third Royal Guards.
|Commanding Officers of the 17th Donegal Guards|
|Tommy 'Too Young' Gahertty.||3025|
|Quitman Brown||3062 to 3067|
The combination of well set traps and coordinated movements make the fight against this unit difficult.
17th Donegal Guard (Regular/Fanatical)
17th Donegal Guards RCT (Regular/Questionable)
17th Donegal Guards (1 Regiment/Regular/Questionable)
CO: Leutnant General Quitman Brown
Aide: Colonel Ling Glayzer
- The unit is upgraded to 90 percent but only field refits with a few newly-produced machines.
17th Donegal Guards Aerospace Brigade (2 Wings)
CO: Syntax Error Brenden Coffey
- 651st Independent Air Wing
- 2112th Independent Air Wing
17th Donegal Guards Armor Brigade (3 Regiments/Regular/Questionable)
CO: Colonel Oberon Bradbury
Aide: Leutnant Colonel
- 143rd Donegal Heavy Armor Regiment: Colonel Greg Eeles
- 93rd Rasalgethi Panzer Regiment: Colonel Syd Chandler
- 302nd Donegal Light Tank: Colonel Ozdemir Lennox
17th Donegal Guards Infantry Brigade (4 Regiments/Regular/Questionable)
CO: Colonel John Gray
Aide: Leutnant Colonel Detlef Fordham
- 688th Donegal Light Infantry: Colonel Cedar Rhodes
- 67th Donegal Mounted Rifles: Colonel Aaron Landthaller
- 79th Donegal Mechanized Rifles: Colonel Patti Langford
- 1st Rasalgethi Force Recon: Colonel Erick Reichmann
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 11, "Donegal Guards" - Regimental Status
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 73, "Ryde Theater"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 75, "Dyev"
- 20 Year Update, p. 19
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 169
- Field Manual: Update, p. 177, "Lyran Alliance Deployment table "
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 11
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 127
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 120 (pdf version), "Unit Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 73, "17th Donegal Guards Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 133, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces - Donegal Province"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 137
- 20 Year Update p. 19