1st Canopian Cuirassiers
|First Canopian Cuirassiers|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Nickname||Defenders of Canopus|
|Parent Formation||Magistracy Royal Guards|
Formation from Ashes of Destroyed Units
The 1st Canopians originated from one of the nameless ad-hoc BattleMech battalions that were put together after opening rounds of the Reunification War destroyed original MAF units in 2577. Its sister unit ad-hoc battalion had resounding success against the Star League invaders. MAF named their unit the Magistracy Guards, and so like them, the unit was originally given the unit name Canopian Cuirassiers. It was in hopes it being named would bring them success. The unit didn't experience same success as then Magistracy Guards and experience number of defeats up to its decommissioned with other MAF units at end of the war.
Recommissioning & Succession Wars
After Magestrix Janine Centrella declared the Magistracy of Canopus's independence of the Star League in 2786, the Canopian Cuirassiers were recommissioned into the MAF. However the unit did not see any action until 2817, when the unit fought renegade mercenaries on the world of Luxen. It participated in five other major engagements during the war, however, its sixth was a notable event.
In 3012 the Red Chasseurs of Taurian I Corps had raided New Abilene, overwhelming the local militia forces there. One system away, was the Cuirassiers whose JumpShip's helium seal had blown were stranded, unable to arrive. The unit managed to make repairs and dropped into the Red Chasseurs' fortified defenses. What has been described as the Cuirassiers' finest moment, the unit drove into the Taurians and forced them from the world.
Late in 3059 the 1st Canopian Cuirassiers were chosen by House Liao Chancellor Liao to participate with four other Capellan regiments in the new Star League's Operation Bulldog. During Operation Bulldog the Cuirassiers joined with the 8th Dieron Regulars, St. Ives Cheveau Legers, and 11th Alshain Avengers to defend Meinacos from the Smoke Jaguar's 267th Battle Cluster. The Eighth Dieron drove into the 267th Cluster's flank, while the 11th Alshain distracted them and the Canopian Cuirassiers cut off the Clan unit's retreat. After the Avengers refused to disengage, the Cuirassiers advanced to support them against the Clan unit.
The Cuirassiers later traveled with Victor Steiner-Davion to Strana Mechty for Trial of Refusal. The unit commander and heir-apparent to the throne of Magistracy died in one of the battles that led to Inner Sphere victory. The Cuirassiers' involvement in Operation Bulldog, made it the only regiment to have salvaged Clan equipment.
In the late 3060s, the unit had not seen much of way of combat except for pirate raids on Capellan, Fronc Reaches, and Concordat borders. The unit's Infantry and Armor assets were station on Fanardir with half of its 'Mech assets as of 3067, while the remaining forces were found on Canopus IV.
During the Jihad the First Cuirassiers were stationed on Canopus. There they faced the Word of Blake directly. Unlike Raventhir's Iron Hand the First was able to escape total destruction. Under the strategic command of Hadji Doru the First Cuirassiers resisted the Blakists for years until eventually driving them off Canopus. The First became one of the most highly decorated units in the MAF, receiving the Ribbon of the Magestrix.
Elements of the First Canopian Cuirassiers were used as a recruiting tool for the MAF during the Dark Age. After the world of Thurrock chose to rejoin the Magistracy - Thurrock having been a Magistracy world prior to the Reunification War but which was claimed by the Free Worlds League as a part of the enforced peace - it was deemed a significant enough asset that the First were assigned to protect the world. Thurrock had benefitted from three hundred years of investment from the League, and while it was unlikely to be raided by the Duchy of Andurien given the cordial relations between the Duchy and the Magistracy, other former League worlds attacked Thurrock frequently enough to keep the First busy.
As of 3064 to 3079 the commanding officer of the unit was Colonel Lane Meisel. Colonel Meisel became the most highly decorated veteran of the Jihad, receiving both the Fist of Raventhir and the Ruby Canopus Cluster, but without having to pay the "donation" that normally accompanies that award.
The unit specialized in combat drops and displayed excellent salvage abilities.
First Canopian Cuirassiers (Veteran/Fanatical)
Canopian Cuirassiers (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Major Alexandra Vakirrov
- CO: Major Margaret Zachara
- CO: Colonel Lane Meisel
- XO/1st Battalion: Force Major Shou Priest
- 2nd Battalion: Major Mart Gemmel
- 3rd Battalion: Major Candace Clifford
- Wing Commander: Commander Tel Armani
- Armor Commander: Colonel Carla Marx
- Infantry Commander: Major Juliet Tompson
- Supported by Battle Armor
First Canopian Cuirassiers (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Colonel Candace Clifford
- CO: Commander Wil Cary
First Cuirassiers Armor Guard (Regular/Fanatical)
- CO: Colonel Lothaire Gomulka
First Cuirassiers Infantry Guard (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Colonel Chet Denholm
First Canopian Cuirassiers (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Chet Davids
First Cuirassiers Air Guard (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Major Jolie Bassett
First Cuirassiers Armor Guard (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Kimberly Kunkel
First Cuirassiers Infantry Guard (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Vinnie Parham
- - At this point no element of the First could muster more than seventy percent of full strength.
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 13
- Field Manual: Periphery, p. 31, "1st Canopian Cuirassiers Unit Profile"
- The Dragon Roars, p. 41
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 190, "Magistracy Royal Guards"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 201, "MAF Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 138
- Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation, p. 24
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 191, "Magistracy Royal Guards Brigade"
- The Periphery (1988), p. 99, "Unit Deployment Table - 3025"
- 20 Year Update, p. 78, "MAF Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 47, "MAF Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 149, "MAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 200, "Magistracy Royal Guards"
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 13, "Magistracy Royal Guards - Regimental Status"
- Field Report: Periphery, p. 10