- Harmony Gold Resurrects Itself Once More And Regains Rights To Robotech License
- State Of Play: How MechWarrior And BattleTech Are Doing Post E3
- Catalyst Announces New Kickstarter To Bring Clan Invasion To New Box Sets
- Let’s Talk About The MechWarrior 2 Soundtrack
- Leak Suggests Microsoft Might Resurrect MechAssault At This Year’s E3
- Read more →
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Astrokaszy neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-290.407 : -315.356[e]|
|Recharge time||185 hours|
- 1 Astrokaszy
- 2 Astrokaszy III
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||62°C (Desert)|
|Highest native life||Mammals|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3067|
|Ruler|| Caliph Shervanis (3001)|
Various from region to region (3025)
|Population|| 200,000-500,000 estimated (3025)|
|HPG (Representative)||B (ComStar Representative: Precentor Girindas Blaine)|
Astrokaszy III - more commonly referred to simply as Astrokaszy - is the third planet in the Astrokaszy and is a hot, arid planet with a single moon named Ghada.
Astrokaszy is a small Periphery colony world located anti-spinward and rimward of the Free Worlds League. Astrokaszy is hot, dry and windswept despite having a large amount of water. With a single large landmass, the planet’s oceans are located at the poles. Inland seas are located too far apart to help the native agriculture. Although the ecosystem does support a thriving native animal life and there are deposits of precious gems, there is little else to offer any colonists. Treasure hunters are still drawn to the planet by rumors of a Star League Defense Force cache of precious military assets, hidden during the Reunification War.
Astrokaszy was left uninhabited until the Crimson Reapers, routed by the Capellan Confederation, broke their contract with the Free Worlds League, raided for supplies, and sought refuge there in 2892. The shattered mercenary command brought with them a heavy influence of predominantly Muslim beliefs and customs. Soon after landing, various commanders began to feud amongst themselves about how to use their limited resources to colonize the planet. Fragmenting into smaller and smaller groups, the commands were scattered across the northern deserts, eventually becoming the ancestors of the nomadic tribes and city-states that existed for centuries.
These city-states became home to interstellar trade, and by 2905, the surface of Astrokaszy was dotted with successful urban centers. The Caliphate of Omar Shervanis, a fifth-generation descendant of the leader of the Crimson Reapers, became the most prominent and most powerful of the urban centers on Astrokaszy. Shervanis's Caliphate was guaranteed by the remnants of the Crimson Reapers BattleMechs, two Clints and a Warhammer. However, Shervanis' aspirations were greater than Astrokaszy, and the Caliph had devoted his efforts to the acquisition of more war materiel, power, sphere of influence and even legitimacy. By 3001, Astrokaszy, led by Caliph Shervanis, had formed a federated government, stable and affluent enough to be recognized by Inner Sphere powers and Comstar, who connected the colony to the Inner Sphere-spanning HPG network.
The success of Astrokaszy was short-lived. In 3035, the Marian Hegemony invaded and took control of the planet - Marius O'Reilly believed Astrokaszy harbored a Marik assassin that had failed to kill the Imperator. Quickly, the Magistracy of Canopus, the Illyrian Palatinate and the Circinus Federation, as well as the Free Worlds League, landed forces on-planet to prevent violence from erupting. However, before these neighbors had arrived, the damage had been done - the Marian Hegemony removed its troops from Astrokaszy, but Astrokaszy's federation had dissolved, and individual city-states had formed alliances and begun a civil war.
Worse still, the Federated Suns, the Draconis Combine and (unnamed) Periphery powers decided to use the planet as a testing ground for experimental weapons, tactics, and special operations forces. Some even speculate the planet may be a proving ground for experiment BattleMechs. Though violence on Astrokaszy was low-grade, warfare continued between 3025 and 3038, despite the efforts of Marik peacekeepers on world between 3025 and 3032. The Free Worlds League was able to broker a peace after 3038, but bloodshed resumed weeks after the FWLM left the system.
The Smoke Jaguars
In the 3060s, disparate groups of warriors from Clan Smoke Jaguar were allegedly drawn to Astrokaszy after the destruction of their Clan by the Second Star League. It was believed by ComStar that the rumored connection between the original Star League and Astrokaszy offered the Smoke Jaguars the opportunity for redemption. The clashes between former Smoke Jaguar clansmen and other dezgra Clan units was touted as a possible explanation for the persistent rumors of secret field-testing of equipment by the Great Houses on the planet.
The 3060s were marked by a series of wars fought across Astrokaszy followed by a brief period of peace, although the world continued to be a hub where anything and everything could be - and often was - bought; by 3067 various intelligence agencies had tracked shipments of military materiel moving through Astrokaszy destined for the Marian Hegemony, the Magistracy of Canopus and even the Capellan Confederation.
Before the system-wide HPG blackout, Blakist forces were in control of the planet’s ten largest settlements, including the Shervanis Caliphate. Mercenary business has been completely stopped.
On the 6th of April 3076 a raiding force from the Magistracy of Canopus raided Astrokaszy, striking at what they believed were bases established on the planet by the Word of Blake. The Canopians had material support from the Capellan Confederation and fought against the Blakist-sponsored group known as the Order of the Faithful.
The original inhabitants of Astrokaszy were semi-barbaric nomadic tribes under the rule of "caliphate" and local suzerains. The people of Astrokaszy were fearless fighters with an interest in bloodsports. However, the planet remained mostly fractious as the population blossomed. As the population spread, Astrokaszy's surface became dotted with rich oases and caravans. However, Astrokaszy always possessed a certain sinister character.
The Marian invasion forced the darker parts of Astrokaszy society to the surface. Soon, Astrokaszy was populated mainly by criminals, renegade MechWarriors, and unscrupulous traders. Nomadic bands of MechWarriors scoured the deserts, while urban combat ceaselessly continued within the city-states. The urban destruction of the civil war was always visible - no faction had been stable enough to be able to rebuild, and city-scapes were literally clogged with rubble piles. The lack of central authority made Astrokaszy a preferred destination for traders looking to sell off contraband or dump an unwanted mercenary.
With their military gears slowly ground down as they fought against each other and invading pirate groups, factions on Astrokaszy endure in small-arms manufacturing centers and mining cities that often attach the Caliphate city-states to nearby scattered oases. The distinctly Arabic Muslim overtones of the planet’s male-dominated culture reside in these city-states. Still clinging to long-forgotten philosophies and traditions of their ancestors, the citizens are mostly horsemen and fighters and retain their love of bloodsports; indeed bloodsport is still common as a means of keeping inhabitants pacified.
There are no hiring halls and no neutral meeting centers. There are no DropPorts or even open employers. The attempt to find an employer could be an adventure on its own.
The closest there is to planetary civilization lies in the Shervanis Caliphate and its capital city of Shervanis City. With the planetary HPG and small spaceport, this is the one city that provides links offworld. The city has been held by three different groups, with the latest one being Avanti’s Angels. When the previous ruler’s son returned to reclaim his birthright, bringing the strongest fighting group found on the world.
While finding mercenaries on this planet may be almost impossible, finding fighters is easy. Between the society and harsh world, the planet creates an almost limitless amount of fighters, most of who would jump at an opportunity for freedom and financial security.
- 2271 - No record 
- 2571 - No record 
- 2596 - No record 
- 2750 - No record 
- 2764 - No record 
- 2765 - No record 
- 2822 - No record 
- 2864 - Independent world 
- 3025 - Independent world 
- 3030 - Independent world 
- 3040 - Independent world 
- 3050 - Independent world 
- 3052 - Independent world 
- 3057 - Independent world 
- 3058 - Independent world 
- 3059 - Independent world 
- 3063 - Independent world 
- 3067 - Independent world 
- 3075 - Independent world 
- 3079 - Independent world 
- 3081 - Independent world 
- 3085 - Independent world 
- 3135 - Rim Commonality 
- 3139 - Rim Commonality 
- 3145 - Free Worlds League 
- Caliph Shervanis
- Shervanis City: the planetary capital city.
- Shaharazad Desert: five thousand kilometer wide desert south of Shervanis City.
Currently the electronic copy of Mercenaries Supplemental II describes Astrokaszy as having three moons named Delsia, Ralston and Vannora - which is an identical set of moons to the planet Westerhand in the Capellan Confederation. It was confirmed on the Catalyst Game Labs official forum that the electronic copy of Mercenaries Supplemental II is in error, and that hard copies of the publication are correct and list Astrokaszy as having a single moon named Ghada.
|“||The PDF of MercsSup2 is in error. The print version was corrected to show that Astrokaszy has one moon called Ghada.||”|
|— Roosterboy, 07:11:51 07 Aug 2015|
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
- Mercenaries Supplemental II, p. 15, "Planet Fact Sheet"
- The Periphery (sourcebook), pp. 125-126, "Astrokaszy"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 34, "Free Worlds League after First Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 38, "Free Worlds League after Second Succession War -  Map"
- Mercenaries Supplemental II, p. 15, "Astrokaszy (hard copy only)"
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 88, "Astrokaszy"
- Shattered Sphere, p. 123, "Bandit Activity"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 198, "Lesser Periphery States"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 21, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 55, "The Jihad In Review"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League at their Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 24, "Free Worlds League after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 36, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 36, "Magistracy Armed Forces Deployment Map - "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p. vii, "Maps of the Periphery - "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 42, "Free Worlds League after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 51, "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 54, "Free Worlds League after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 111, "Magistracy of Canopus & New Colony Region Map - "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 56, "Free Worlds League after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- ' Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere -  Map
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 17, "Free Worlds League Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Field Report: Periphery, p. 20, "Magistracy of Canopus Region Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 62, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Rim Commonality included with Free Worlds League map as of 
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 116, "Free Worlds League Military"
- Double-Blind (Novel)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: FWLM
- Field Report: Periphery
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: War of 3039
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Rim Commonality included with Free Worlds League map as of 3139
- Mercenaries Supplemental II
- Shattered Sphere
- The Periphery
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition