20th Arcturan Guards
- The Art of War – An Interview with Matthew Plog, BattleTech Artist
- Original BattleTech Pods In Grand Rapids Michigan Moving To New Dedicated Site
- New BattleTech Box Sets Delayed
- Community Outreach - Interview with Jennifer Brozek, Author Of “The Nellus Academy Incident”
- BattleTech Releases Teaser Video For New Expansion: Flashpoint
- Read more →
|Twentieth Arcturan Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
Peter's Pride (formerly The White Bears of Uther)
|Parent Formation||Arcturan Guards|
The Twentieth Arcturan Guards was originally a BattleMech Regiment in service of the Lyran Commonwealth. When the early formation of the Federated Commonwealth in the mid-31st Century, it was formatted as a Regimental Combat Team formation.
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 Rules
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
The Twentieth Arcturan Guards was founded after the initial founding of the Arcturan Guards brigade, and in common with the later-founded regiments, did not bear a name based upon a Muse from mythology.
Star League Era
Like the other regiments of the Arcturan Guard, the Twentieth struggled with boredom and ennui during the closing years of the Star League era; the Star League Defense Force acted as an effective deterrent in the main, making large-scale military deployments for the Twentieth a rarity, and leaving the regiment to occupy itself with training exercises and garrison duty.
By 2765 the commanding officer of the Twentieth, Colonel Jonas Hvalspiser, had requested a permanent Star League Defense Force deployment to take over the responsibility of garrisoning Ford, to which the Twentieth had recently been posted. The Twentieth was responsible for protecting the Ford Military Limited facilities on the planet, but had found it difficult to adjust to living on the planet; Ford had a day-cycle that was forty hours long, and many of the personnel from the Twentieth were reluctant to go outside during night hours, prefering the artificial lighting found indoors, which was artificially controlled to simulate a shorter day cycle.
Fourth Succession War
After its victory on Camalann, the unit was orders from General Nondi Steiner to reinforce Third Royal Guards on Buckminster. The unit arrived on December 2nd to assist Lieutenant-Colonel Roman Steiner with the Sixth Arkab Legion, whom his Third Royals had been keeping at bay. The Twentieth Arcturan in conjunction with the Third Royals, trap the Combine unit between their heavier 'Mech forces and Third Royal's artillery armed DropShips. Resulting in the Sixth Arkab's were devastated and its survivor managed to retreat from city of Elvidner area.
The Combine's commanding general of the planet, General Goshi Tengwan withdrew his Second Sword of Light and other forces to capital city. There at Buckminister City, the General Tengwan evacuated important documents and personnel from the planet, using Sword's fighter cover as escorts. Lt. General Steiner launch sorties against the city, taking advantage of lack of Aerospace fighter cover. These action begun the four month siege of Buckminister City. By the 11th of December, the 3rd Royal's 1st Provisional Water Navy had help completed the blockading of the capital.
During this time, the Twentieth Arcturans had been in pursuit of elements of the Sixth Arkab which were operating in northern regions. General Steiner then recalled them in May 3029, only leaving attached conventional infantry and combat vehicles keep eye on Legion.
General Steiner directed the Twentieth Arcturans and his 3rd Royals in offensive against Buckminister City on June 1st. The Royals begun entering the city where ambushed by hidden elements of the Second Sword. This allowed for the Sixth Arkab broke through Twentieth's screening force and plunged into rear lines of the Arcturans. Steiner pulled some of his city forces try wheel around to assist in the sudden attack on the Arcturans' rear lines. This is when Second Sword committed to assault on Lyran forces.
This routed Royals from the city, leaving both the Twentieth Arcturans and the 3rd Royals on high ground trying defending themselves. Within three days, the Twentieth and remaining Lyran forces withdrew from the planet.
Clan Invasion Era
Battle for Aubisson
In early 3050, the Twentieth Arcturans were stationed on Aubisson during the Clan Invasion. The world came under attacked by DCMS forces in what became one last border invasion between Federated Commonwealth and Combine for decades to come.
The Combines forces consisted of the Second Legion of Vega and Fifth Amphigean LAG. As Twentieth Arcturans fought a vicious fight with Kurita forces, casualties on Clan warfront grew for both Great Houses. Order to withdraw arrived for the Twentieth Arcturans, to take station else where. Few days later, DCMS units received recall order as well.
The Arcturans took station on Morges, the unit set number of successful raids into Clan Jade Falcon Occupation Zone. However, the raids were costly, where they fought Falcons and newly arrived Clan Steel Viper forces which had taken some of Falcon's worlds. These heavy raids weaken to unit, losing half of its troops and materials in them. Lyran border were also reduced of its fighting strength in results of the Arcturans activities.
By 3062, the unit had been rebuilt to its full RCT strength, however it being assigned within the Arc-Royal Defense Cordon kept the unit from receiving steady amount of supplies.
Participated in the liberation of Tharkad in January 3072. In fact, they ran an end run around the Blakists to secure Peter Steiner-Davion, escorted him out of the combat zone, and then engaged the invading Blakists. They arrived on world via a combat drop in the Sassafras Valley and engaged the Word of Blake's Thirty-seventh Division. Two weeks later they pursued the retreating Thirty-seventh Division to Tharkad's main spaceport. Only a third of the Word of Blake unit was able to escape.
Seriously damaged during the fighting for Tharkad, the Twentieth was rebuilt from the handful of survivors of the original unit, bolstered by a battalion of troops from the Twenty-fifth Arcturan Guards. They retain their name of "Peter's Pride." At the end of the Jihad they were stationed on Ford.
|Commanding Officers of the 20th Arcturan Guards|
promoted to the rank of
|3054 to 3067|
They specialize in winter warfare.
20th Arcturan Guards (Green/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the Twentieth were stationed on Ford.
20th Arcturan Guards (Veteran/Reliable)
20th Arcturan Guards RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
20th Arcturan Guards RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
20th Arcturan Guards Armor Brigade (2 Regiments/Veteran/Reliable)
CO: Leutnant General Nurudeen Amzel
Aide: Leutnant Colonel Bill Jeffson
- 230th Arcturan Armor Regiment: Colonel Nurudeen Amzel
- 102nd Alliance Panzer Regiment: Colonel Josep Hellekson
Note: The 102nd includes an artillery Battalion
20th Arcturan Guards Infantry Brigade (5 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
CO: Kommandant General Payne D'Aquisto
Aide: Leutnant Colonel Eliza Lepak-Dorr
- 180th Arcturan Commando Regiment: Colonel Calven Jih
- 470th Alliance Force Recon Regiment: Colonel Beth Varisco
- 23rd Arcturan Mounted Rifles Regiment: Colonel Pongming An
- 9st Colmar Mechanized Regiment: Colonel Neal Maerder
- 163rd Arcturan Jump Infantry Regiment: Colonel Raul Eichmann
As of 3062, the unit receives B Rated Equipment.
The 20th Arcturans receive -2 modifier to their piloting rolls if their members are part of a scenario which includes weather condition rules; Ice & Heavy Snow Fall.
- Field Report: Lyran Commonwealth 2765, p. 8-9, "Arcturan Guards"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 51, "Other Early Action"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 44-45, "Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 55, "Buckminister" - 20th Arcturan Guards involvement in the battle for the planet.
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, pp. 72-73, "Buckminister" - 20th Arcturans and 3rd Royal Guards loose battle for the planet.
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 59, "20th Arcturan Guards Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Mercenaries, Revised, p. 114
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, p. 7, "Combatants"
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, p. 10
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, p. 11
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 98
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 107, "LAAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Technical Readout: 3145 The Clans, p. 16
- 20 Year Update, p. 26, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 23, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 178, "LAAF Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Report: Lyran Commonwealth 2765, p. 9, "Regimental Status"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 119, "Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 137
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 130, "Force Specific Rules" - 20th Arcturans get better piloting due to their all-weather training.
- 20 Year Update
- Endgame (novel)
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance
- Field Manual: Mercenaries, Revised
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: Lyran Commonwealth 2765
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Objective Raids
- Technical Readout: 3145 The Clans