49th Shadow Division
|49th Shadow Division Dantalion's Dirge|
|Unit Profile (as of 3075)|
|Parent Formation||Shadow Divisions|
The 49th Shadow Division was an one of the "hidden" Word of Blake military forces that was revealed in the early 3070s. This was an elite Manei Domini controlled Blakist unit, which was used principally in the Free Worlds League Theater of the Jihad.
The 49th Shadow Division first appeared in combat on Wallis in May 3071, disguised in Marik Commonwealth colors. They successfully setup the Commonwealth to take the blame for the destruction of the 2nd Regulan Hussars, leaving no survivors.  Sometime later, Naamah's Nightwalker's true name was made known. 
Night of Fire
The Division struck Regulus in June of 3072 when unit was identified for the first time. The Forty-ninth razed the capital city after clashing with the 1st Regulan Hussars. On Naamah's orders, they set fire to the city, as a personal retribution to Kirc Cameron-Jones, the Prince of Regulus. This event would later be described as the "Night of Fire".  The fires the 49th Division set ultimately altered the atmosphere of the planet. 
Regulan attack on Gibson
After returning to Gibson, Naamah stood down as the 49th's CO and named her executive officer, Dantalion, as new the division's new commander. 
In August, 3073 a Regulan task force assaulted Gibson in retaliation for the attacks on Regulus. The 49th Division fought General Tomaso Kinchuhara's Fourth Regulan Hussars & his mercenary task force in the Gibson Federated BattleMech factory complex. The Division conducted a combat drop on top of the smaller mercenary commands that made up a third of the Task Force. They, along with the 52nd Shadow Division, mauled the Regulus task force, taking life of General Kinchuhara. Precentor Apollyon ordered the Regulans to surrender. Some of the smaller mercenary units did, forcing the remaining Regulan forces to flee Gibson.
Following the victory, the troops of the 49th honored their new commander by formally renaming themselves Dantalion's Dirge. 
The 49th briefly deployed to Wendigo, Atreus' moon, in 3075. There they destroyed the SAFE 'Mech unit, the Dark Shadows. On the 17th of March 3076, a detachment from the 49th struck at the world of Harmony, nuking a Regulan facility of an unknown nature on the world during the attack.
Late Jihad Era
Elements of the 49th were active on an abandoned colony world on the border of the Circinus Federation in April 3081. Known only by the designation 129A-14H, the system was one of a number of systems scouted in force by elements from the Principality of Regulus as they closed on Circinus. A scout detachment located the forces from the 49th, prompting the Regulans to immediately begin bombarding the planet, heedless of friendly fire casualties. The Regulans proceeded to bathe the planet in nuclear fire before leaving the system, bound for Circinus.
During the destruction of Circinus the main strength of the 49th was attacking Andiron. They redeployed to fight the Regulan troops who were attacking the world, but arrived too late. On the 16th of September 3081 elements of the retreating 49th were engaged by forces from the Republic of the Sphere - forces which included a Blake's Wrath special forces team - in the City of the Sacredot on the world of Bryant. The Republican forces were acting on intelligence indicating that the notorious Blakist Precentor Berith was with the forces from the 49th, intelligence with proved to be false, although an informant with useful information was able to escape from the Blakist forces during the combat.
This was followed on the 31st of October with an attempted ambush by Republic-affiliated forces at the location known as the Gates of Hades on Devil's Rock. Acting on information provided by the intelligence operative known only as Damocles, the Republican forces believed they were ambushing Berith and the remains of the 49th; the ambush was actually the result of intelligence planted by Berith, who was determined to kill Damocles. In this, Berith succeeded; having goaded Damocles into a berserk, suicidal rage, three Opacus Venatori BattleMechs combined their fire on the charging Com Guard agent when he charged, killing him. The Blakist forces then retreated in good order, leaving the remaining Republican forces alive. Since that time the 49th hasn't been seen again, and they are listed as Missing in Action.
- As of 3070, the commanding officer was Precentor Naamah and the executive officer was Dantalion.
- As of 3075, the commanding officer was Precentor Dantalion.
The Forty-Ninth is known to use fire tactics (such as using inferno rounds) in their weaponry. Since Precentor Dantalion became commanding officer the Forty-Ninth's numerous Battle Armor units mixed themselves into every Level II formation. 
- The 49th Shadow Division is resistant to external heat. Each 'Mech unit suffers from half-heat inflicted by it, while vehicle & battle armor suffer from no heat effects. Conventional Infantry will only be destroyed on a roll of 10 or greated when suffering heat effects.
- While Dantalion's in Command: Since Dantalion becoming commanding officer of the unit in 3073. Anytime the player controling includes four which includes Battle Armor squad. The player receives following bonuses. They receive +1 to their inititive and all battle armor receives -1 to their gunnery and anti-Mech skills rolls. 
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 106 - "The 49th disguised as Marik Commonwealth troops, destroyed the 2nd Hussars".
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 16 - "Timeline of the Jihad" - 22nd May - 2nd Regulan Hussars wiped out with no survivors. The 49th Shadow Division later named responsible.
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3072, p. 85 - "Fallen Idols" - Sophie Amora aka Naamah orders firebombing of Regulus City.
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 79 - "Regulus" - Blakist's fires possibly changed the atmosphere.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 106 - "49th Shadow Division profile" - Command is handed over to Dantalion.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 51 - "Bloodless Coup - Details of the Regulan invasion revealed".
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 32 "Tengu Heavy Battle Armor"
- Jihad Turning Points: Atreus, p. 11
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 21, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 55, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 74-75, "Chaos Undaunted: Wild Weasel"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 61, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 77-78, "Chaos Undaunted: Storm Shadow"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 78-79, "Chaos Undaunted: Scrap Iron"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 125-126, "Shadow Divisions"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 143 - "Rules Annex" - Special rules reflect 49th's Specialty in tactics.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 143 - "Rules Annex" - 49th Shadow Division bonus for having field Battle Armor with their other units.