9th Dieron Regulars
- Harmony Gold Resurrects Itself Once More And Regains Rights To Robotech License
- State Of Play: How MechWarrior And BattleTech Are Doing Post E3
- Catalyst Announces New Kickstarter To Bring Clan Invasion To New Box Sets
- Let’s Talk About The MechWarrior 2 Soundtrack
- Leak Suggests Microsoft Might Resurrect MechAssault At This Year’s E3
- Read more →
|Ninth Dieron Regulars|
|Unit Profile (as of 3052)|
|Nickname||Will of the Dieron|
|Parent Formation||Dieron Regulars|
Star League Era
The Ninth Dieron Regulars were one of thirty-one regiments of Dieron Regulars to be created by the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery after 2765. The Dieron Regulars expanded by ten regiments during the Amaris Civil War, and a further twenty-one regiments were raised between the end of the Civil War and the end of the First Succession War. The Ninth was one of the ten regiments created between 2765 and the end of the Civil War in 2779.
First Succession War
In May 2787 the Draconis Combine launched a massive invasion of the Federated Suns. The invasion was so swift and targeted communications and JumpShips so effectively that many border systems didn't have a chance to transmit warnings or alerts, leading to widespread confusion on the part of the AFFS. Three days after the initial attacks another large wave of attacks was launched by the DCMS, based around two salients; one, under the overall command of Coordinator Minoru Kurita, struck into the Clovis Combat Region, beginning with invasions of Cartago, Clovis and Olancha. Leading the assault on Clovis was the Coordinator himself at the head of the Third Sword of Light.
Clovis was the location of the headquarters of the Clovis Combat Region within the Draconis March, and the Commanding Officer of the Region, Field Marshal Grover Simons, was on Clovis when the Combine invasion forces arrived in-system. In addition to the Third Sword of Light Minoru had brought two other BattleMech regiments - the Third Pesht Regulars and Ninth Dieron Regulars - eighteen assorted regiments of armor and infantry and enough aerospace fighters to ensure aerospace superiority, along with a substantial WarShip flotilla from the Third Fleet. Although the WarShips took no part in the ground campaign, the WarShip flotilla - consisting of two Samarkands, and Aegis and four Narukamis - battled the Federated Suns naval picket in the system, destroying the New Syrtis-class carrier FSS Midale and the Davion-class destroyer FSS Reynard Davion.
On the ground, Field Marshal Simons used the time bought by the naval picket to have the First Clovis Guards and the three conventional regiments available to him dig into defensive positions around Gorst City, the planetary capital; the DCMS believed that Simons had three 'Mech regiments available to him, not one, and the ferocious defense put up by the defenders stymied the Third Sword of Light and other DCMS forces for the first week, while Simons called for reinforcements. Due to the pace of the invasion every unit that could have answered had either been destroyed or was desperately fighting to survive, but a small part of reinforcements from Xhosa VII did manage to make it to Clovis aboard the Robinson-class carrier FSS New Ivaarsen, arriving five days into the second week of battles. This was too late to save Clovis, but Field Marshal Simons attempted to have his surviving forces form an orderly retreat from Clovis, to save what he could. Unfortunately for Simons, his Leopard-class DropShip, the last to leave the surface of Clovis, was destroyed ten kilometers above the surface when it attempted to fight rather than surrender; with Simons' death, defense in the Clovis Combat Region collapsed, and by the end of May the DCMS had conquered most of the Clovis Combat Region, half of each of the Dahar and Robinson Combat Regions and a chunk of the Fairfax Combat Region.
Third Succession War
In early 3014 Hanse Davion lead the Thirty-fourth Avalon Hussars, Tenth Deneb Light Cavalry and the Davion Heavy Guards in an attack against the toxic world Halstead Station attempting to destroy the large Draconis Combine supply depot being built there. The defending Ninth Dieron Regulars' and Second Proserpina Hussars regiments failing to stop the destruction of the supply depot still managed to keep all three AFFS regiments tied up until Takashi Kurita could arrive with the fresh Second Sword of Light.
Fourth Succession War
During the Fourth Succession War the Ninth Dieron and Brion's Legion attacked David, facing the Twelfth Deneb Light Cavalry. They were unable to bring the DLC unit into a stand-up fight. Instead the 12th DLC struck repeatedly at the Ninth's flanks. After a brief lull in the fighting, the Ninth and Brion's Legion were able to constantly maintain contact with the DLC, forcing the AFFS unit into a static fight. Though the Ninth fought well, Brion's Legion broke and ran when their commander was killed. Though the Ninth might have been able to overcome this setback, the arrival of the 41st Avalon Hussars completely altered the Ninth's perspective, and withdrew from the world shortly after the Avalon Hussars arrived.
War of 3039
During the War of 3039 the Ninth quietly moved off of Cylene and fought their way onto Sadachbia. There they faced off against the 8th Deneb Light Cavalry and Redfield's Renegades. The Ninth performed many hit-and-run attacks on the AFFS units, refusing to engage in a stand up fight. Eventually the Ninth overextended itself and one battalion of the regiment found itself pinned in the planet's spaceport. The DLC and mercenary forces were able to prevent the other two battalions of the Ninth from linking up, and Tai-sa Montgommery chose to preserve her other units. Eventually the isolated battalion was destroyed by the AFFS.
The Ninth continued to perform its signature hit and run style attacks against the Federated Suns commands until they received orders to leave. The Ninth then hit the Deneb Light Cavalry, inflicting serious losses as the unit withdrew from the world.
The Ninth Dieron Regulars were destroyed by Clan Nova Cat forces during the Clan Invasion. The Ninth was defending the planet Mualang when the Nova Cat Lancers - a Cluster from the Nova Cat Beta Galaxy declared their intent to conquer the planet in January 3052. Tai-sa Sheng-jo attempted to play the Nova Cats at their own game, but suffered from a flawed understanding of the Clan and their concepts of practising warfare; wishing them luck in their attempt to conquer the planet, Sheng-jo issued a badly worded challenge - and received exactly what he'd brazenly asked for. While Elementals and a striker Trinary flanked the Ninth, the battle Trinaries engaged the Ninth head on, leaving the Ninth trapped in an effective pincer.
The Ninth attempted to fall back from the battlefield at Longstein, with Shong-jo leading them into the streets of the planetary capital, Mualang City, on the presumption that the Clan philosophy of minimizing collateral damage would restrict them from attacking ferociously within the confines of the city. Instead, the Lancers charged straight through the city in hot pursuit of the assault elements of the Ninth. The Lancers' charge pushed the Ninth into full retreat for their DropShips, only to discover too late that the Nova Cats had already captured the Drop Port and the Regulars' DropShips.
|Commanding Officers of the 9th Dieron Regulars|
|General||Lisa Montgomery||3025 - 3039|
|Tai-sa||Mao Sheng-Jo||3039 - 3052|
- General Lisa Montgomery committed seppuku for losing one of her battalions in the War of 3039.
- Tai-sa Mao Sheng-Jo led the Ninth until it was destroyed by the Nova Cats.
The unit as of 3025 has no specializations.
- Ninth Dieron Regulars (Regiment/Green/Questionable)
- - At this point in time the Ninth was a medium-weight regiment operating at full strength and was stationed on Ashio.
- Ninth Dieron Regulars (Regiment/Green/Questionable)
- - At this point in time the Ninth was a medium-weight regiment and had been reduced to less than a third of full strength. The Ninth was stationed on Skat.
9th Dieron Regulars (Regiment/Green/Questionable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Skat with an operational readiness of 56 percent. 
9th Dieron Regulars (Regiment/Regular/Questionable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Towne with an operational readiness of 36 percent. 
- CO: General Lisa Montgomery
- The command contains mostly heavy 'Mechs. 
- CO: Tai-sa Mao Sheng-jo
- Note: At this point in time the unit was stationed on Sadachbia.
- First Succession War, p. 32, "Those Left Behind"
- First Succession War, p. 119, "House Kurita"
- Invading Clans, p. 120, "Fifth Wave"
- First Succession War, p. 137, "Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery (DCMS)"
- First Succession War, p. 38-39, "The Battle For Clovis"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p.133
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 80
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 28
- Historical: War of 3039, pp. 38, 86
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 86
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine) - Mech Unit Deployment Table, Dieron District.
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 97
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine),p. 135, "Deployment Table"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p.144
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 138
- 20 Year Update, p.40