|Manufacturer||Robinson Standard BattleWorks, |
|Chassis||Foundation 12X Endo Steel|
|Armor||Starshield Special Heavy with CASE II|
|Communications System||Rander Comm-Marshal with Angel ECM Suite|
|Targeting Tracking System||Dalban HiRez V|
|Heat Sinks||12 Double Heat Sinks|
A product of Robinson Standard BattleWorks on Robinson, the Atlas III is an Assault Class BattleMech produced during the middle of the thirty-second century. The AS7-D3 version of this generation of the Atlas was constructed with a mixture of Advanced Clan and Inner Sphere technologies. When it was first produced, the D3 was rare among the ranks of the AFFS and its ally, the Republic of the Sphere, where it was used by Battalion and Regimental leaders as a Command 'Mech. It is unclear if the D3 model of the 'Mech remained in production after the Draconis Combine's capture of Robinson in 3144.
Weapons and Equipment
The D3's construction reflects its intended role as (almost) a custom design for Commanders. The 'Mech is designed for dealing punishing attacks, while retaining the survivability and speed of the original Atlas. Engineers used 19.5 ton of Standard Armor fitted to an Endo Steel skeleton, and for the MechWarrior’s protection the Atlas III employs an Armored Cockpit and a pair of Small Shields, with the latter split between both arms. An advanced Angel ECM Suite has also been installed, giving the 'Mech greater capability to manage electronic warfare threats. Powering the Atlas III is the tried-and-true 300-rated Vlar Fusion Engine, which provides modest speeds and adequate protection on the battlefield. Along with the 'Mech's 12 Double Heat Sinks, a Radical Heat Sink System has been fitted in order to help manage the 'Mech's heat.
The Atlas III´s weaponry is geared toward long and short range engagements. Its primary weaponry consists of a right side torso-mounted Clan-built StarTek 20-Tube Streak Long Range Missile Launcher, fed by two tons of ammunition. Backing the Launcher is a Mydron Model RD Rotary Class 2 Autocannon, found in the right arm actuator, with two tons of ammunition carried in the right side torso. For intermediate and short range engagements the 'Mech can rely on four Martell-X Medium X-Pulse Lasers and a single Type VI 6-tubed Streak SRM Launcher with a single ton of ammunition. The Streak SRM Launcher and two X-Pulse Lasers have been allocated to the Atlas III's left side torso, while the remaining two X-Pulse Lasers are mounted in the left arm. Each of the 'Mech's side torsos have CASE II equipment fitted into them, thus preventing the torso ammunition bays from crippling the 'Mech in the event of an ammunition explosion.
- The D2 variant is intended for front line use instead of the rare D3's command role. This model retains the D3's Streak LRM-20, Streak SRM-6, and two of the Medium X-Pulse Lasers found in the left arm. The D2 drops the Rotary Autocannon for a more powerful Clan Class 30 Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle. To make room for the mammoth weapon, both Small Shields are dropped. Its four tons of ammunition and the missile launchers' ammunition continue to be protected by the CASE II found in both side torsos. A Targeting Computer is fitted to the D2 to enhance targeting of enemy units. BV(2.0)=2,890
- AS7-D Atlas - The first generation of the Atlas produced at the pinnacle of the Star League era, designed according to specifications by General Aleksandr Kerensky to look "...as ugly and foreboding as conceivable, so that fear itself will be our ally." The design was used mostly by the SLDF's regular army, but would ultimately be used by the Great Houses after the SLDF Exodus.
- AS7-D-H Atlas II - The next evolution designed shortly after the original Atlas. This model was used almost exclusively by the SLDF Royal Regiments.
Created simply as the "Atlas", the Atlas III was first created by Wizkids' MechWarrior Dark Age Collectible Miniatures game as a part of its Wolf Strike expansion set as second version of Atlas they produced. It was later adapted by Catalyst Game Labs and redefined once the company advanced the franchise's timeline to 3145.
The Atlas III is subject to the following Design Quirks:
- MUL online date for the Atlas III
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns, p. 48-49 Atlas III - "BV2"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 218
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns, p. 48 Atlas III - "Background"
- Era Report: 3145, p.50 Fed Suns Map 3145 - Robinson falls to Draconis Combine in 3144.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns, p. 48-49, 103 Atlas III - "Stats"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns, p. 48 & 102 - Atlas III "Variant Info"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 217