Black Python (Viper)
- Lead Developer Brent Evans Answers Big Questions On The Future Of BattleTech
- Was the Early Portrayal of the Capellan Confederation an Example of Yellow Peril?
- Mechwarrior Online World Championship Semi-Finals Seeding Games
- New Campaign Begins on MegaMekNET
- BATTLETECH Multiplayer Review - A Battle Of Titans
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||New Kent Armor Works|
|Chassis||Viper Endo Steel BP 2|
|Armor||Armorweave NK 62 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||New Kent Model VII 375 XL|
|Targeting Tracking System||Unknown|
|Heat Sinks||13 Double Heat Sinks|
The Black Python, which was designated the Viper by Inner Sphere forces, is similar in many ways to the Warhammer and Marauder BattleMechs. Though it is faster than those heavies, it has a similar weapons load-out with comparable damage, albeit with much more accurate damage potential. In order to achieve this, this expensive second-line 'Mech avails itself of all weight saving technologies that were at the disposal of the Clans, including an XL Engine, Endo Steel frame, and eleven tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor. In addition to its speed, the Black Python mounts five jump jets that propel it up to 150 meters at a time.
Weapons and Equipment
The paired Large and Lambda Medium Pulse Lasers provide highly accurate firepower at ranges that are possible to close in on thanks to the 'Mech's speed. Four Chi Series Small Pulse Lasers and two Series XIb Machine Guns provide more firepower at close range while also able to annihilate unarmored infantry that stray too close. All of the lasers are made even more accurate by the inclusion of a Targeting Computer. Thirteen double heat sinks keep heat levels in check.
- Black Python 2
- This variant removes the large and medium lasers and replaces them with an Ultra Autocannon/2, two ER Large Lasers, an additional Small Pulse Laser, and an ECM Suite. This configuration allows the Black Python to provide effective direct-fire support. BV (1.0) = 2,131, BV (2.0)=2,520
- Black Python 3
- A substantial redesign by Clan Steel Viper that changed the outward appearance of the Black Python. This models removes the large lasers of the original and replaces them with a pair of Omega Heavy Large Lasers. One jump jet is removed, lowering the 'Mech's jumping capacity to 120 meters. The added heat of the heavy lasers necessitated the inclusion of four additional double heat sinks. Even with that, enough tonnage was freed up to add another ton of armor. BV (1.0) = 2,201, BV (2.0)= 2,421
- MUL online date for the Black Python (Viper)
- Combat Operations, p. 109
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 199
- Technical Readout: 3055, pp. 126-127, "Viper OmniMech Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3055 Revised, pp. 110-111, "Viper OmniMech Profile"
- Combat Operations, p. 119
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 199
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 200
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 119, "Viper 3 Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 201
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 202