- Original BattleTech Pods In Grand Rapids Michigan Moving To New Dedicated Site
- New BattleTech Box Sets Delayed
- Community Outreach - Interview with Jennifer Brozek, Author Of “The Nellus Academy Incident”
- BattleTech Releases Teaser Video For New Expansion: Flashpoint
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games, "MechWarrior 3050"
- Read more →
|Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth|
|Parents||Marco Steiner (father)|
|Children|| Alessandro Steiner|
He was rushed into ruling at 20 years of age after the early retirement of his gravely-ill father, Marco Steiner. Having just graduated from Tharkad University with degrees in economics and political science, Giovanni's total lack of military training initially worried his Armed Forces generals. However, he turned out to be a competent strategist willing to listen to his advisers, and in the early years of his reign the LCAF successfully defended Alexandria from a Kuritan attack which escalated into the largest Third Succession War battle in Steiner territory.
A quiet and unassuming leader, Giovanni's biggest contribution as Archon was based on his economic skills. He reorganized the military bureaucracy and reduced wasteful spending, freeing up funds to stockpile extra supplies and hire more mercenaries. When in 2957 the 9th Battle for Hesperus II crippled the Commonwealth's 'Mech and weapons production for the following two decades, Giovanni's reforms kept the LCAF operational. In 2971, the key mercenary forces of the Eridani Light Horse and 12th Star Guards defeated a large-scale Marik invasion of Loric, a critical stronghold on the anti-spinward Lyran border. Giovanni also showed strictness when necessary, using the 26th Lyran Guards to suppress a violent uprising on Summit in 2977, further contributing to the regiment's nickname "Steiner's Boots".
A passionate equestrian in his spare time, Giovanni Steiner died in 2980, only 48 years old, from a fall during a showjumping performance. He would be succeeded by his much more militaristic son, Alessandro. 
|“||I'm perfectly willing to go into the history books as 'ol' what's his name' if it means I can quietly look after the citizens of the Commonwealth and occasionally ride my horses.||”|
|— Archon Giovanni Steiner, reacting to satirical holo portraying him as a blond fool, in A Look at the Steiner Family, by Cevin Stenman, Commonwealth Press, 2978|
|“||Loric? Where's Loric?||”|
|— Archon Giovanni Steiner quoted in A Look at the Steiner Family, by Cevin Stenman, Commonwealth Press, 2978|
Title and Position
|Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth
| Succeeded by|
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 98, "Lyran Leadership Profile"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 74-77, "The Reign of Giovanni Steiner"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 56, "Regimental Nicknames"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 72, "The Reign Of Giovanni Steiner"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 74, "The Battle For Loric"