|Chassis||Corean Model KL-77 Endo Steel|
|Armor||StarGuard CIV Ferro-Fibrous|
|Communications System||Tri-Word Duplex 4880|
|Jump Jets||Pitban LFT-50|
The Hornet debuted in 2760 as an urban recon 'Mech, but little interest forced the design to be shelved two years later. In 2990, Kallon Industries rediscovered the blueprints and resumed production. The upgraded HNT-171 started production in 3051. The production line was destroyed by Capellans in 3069. The 'Mech is designed around the concept of being able to swiftly move through an urban environment with relatively heavy armor. Overall, because of its eclectic mix of weapons and relatively slow speed, the Hornet is only somewhat effective when inside of a city. When caught outside an urban environment the 'Mech is hard pressed to defend itself.
Kallon industries had a hard time selling the Hornet for AFFS, so most of these mechs initially went to the mercenary market. One of the major users was the Wolf's Dragoons, who demonstrated its effectiveness on Misery. This caused the Federated Suns to take renewed interest in this mech.
Nowadays this mech is mostly deployed by Federated Suns March Militia as a replacement for Wasps and Stingers, and also by Ceti Hussars and Deneb Light Cavalry. The Hornet is also popular among mercenaries.
The Hornet carries as its primary long-range weapon a Holly LRM-5 launcher. This allows the Hornet to strike at an enemy at a distance of over six hundred meters. In an urban environment the LRM launcher becomes more of a liability than an asset. As a secondary weapon the Hornet carries a Martell Medium Laser, and finally the 'Mech is armed with a MainFire Point Defense Anti-Missile System to defend against missile attacks.
- HNT-151 - The version of the Hornet that debuted in 2990, the 151 has standard armor and a standard internal structure. It also lacks the advanced Anti-Missile System, CASE, and a ton of LRM ammunition, though the jumping capacity is one hundred fifty meters and the weapons also include a small laser. BV (1.0) = 429, BV (2.0) = 488
- HNT-152 - A fairly common field modification of the 151, the 152 replaces the LRM with a Holly SRM-4. BV (2.0) = 475
- HNT-161 - Wolf's Dragoons fields this variant, which eschews the anti-missile system in favor of a full one-hundred fifty meters of jumping and the Small Laser. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 511
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Technical Readout: 3039, pp. 244-245, "Hornet 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 10-11, "HNT-171 Hornet 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 11
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 60
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 61
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 10