|Pilum Heavy Tank|
|Mission||Fire Support Vehicle|
|Armor||Valiant Scutum Ferro-Fibrous|
|Speed||65 k/ph km/h|
|Communications System||Wunderland XXV-2|
|Targeting Tracking System||Wunderland XXV-2 w/Artemis FCS|
The Pilum Heavy Tank is a product of Valiant Vehicles of Johnsondale, as a new combat vehicle for the Federated Commonwealth's Armed Forces. Valiant Vehicles created the vehicle based on the success of its Striker Missile Vehicle. Initially introduced in 3058, the vehicle received criticism for its chassis, which is based on a wheeled configuration instead of the more traditional tracked option. The company had experienced production problems in its first production run.
The tank saw deployment to the AFFC's and later AFFS's frontline units. Many among those who received the tank liked its speed and maneuverability. These qualities proved their effectiveness when the tank was deployed against the Clans and during the FedCom Civil War. Notable use of the Pilum was with the 8th Crucis Lancers during their last stand on Proserpina in March 3066. Pilums were used to great effect in combination with other tank assets of the 8th Crucis in their fight with Draconis Combines forces.
Weapons and Equipment
The Pilum is principally armed with pair of turret-mounted Artemis IV controlled 15-Tubed Valiant Arbalest Long Range Missile launchers. For close in defense, the vehicle has been given pair of turret-mounted Streak SRM 2 launchers. Rounding out the armament are two Valiant Ruby Dart Medium Pulse Lasers found in the front of the vehicle. The Arbalest launcher has 3 tons of ammunition for sustained fire, while the Streaks share a single ton.
The vehicle is protected with 10 tons of Ferro-Fibrous Armor. It has however been criticized for being somewhat thin-skinned in comparison to other similar vehicles.
- Arrow IV
- This is the artillery variant of the vehicle, which was introduced shortly after the original vehicle premiered in 3059 during the Clan Invasion era. The LRM-15s and their fire control systems were removed in favor of a single Arrow IV Missile Launcher. The vehicle was given 20 missiles split between two ammunition bays to allow for specialized ammunition. BV (2.0)= 1,102
As of this writing, there is no record sheet or Master Unit List profile for the Pilum.
- MUL online date for the Pilum
- Technical Readout: 3058 p. 105 - BV1 listed in vehicle tech profile.
- Record Sheets: 3058 (Inner Sphere) p. 158 - BV2 listing for Pilum Heavy Tank.
- Technical Readout: 3058 p. 80 - Original Pilum Heavy Tank fluff.
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade p. 108
- Record Sheets: 3058 (Inner Sphere) p. 159 - Pilum Heavy Tank (Arrow IV) - Variant stats with BV2.
- Technical Readout: 3150, p. 222