Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Vermezzo neighbouring systems
- 2341 - No record 
- 2571 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2596 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2764 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3063 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3075 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3079 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3081 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3085 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3130 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3135 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3145 - Lyran Commonwealth 
During the Jihad, the Democracy Now separatist movement agitated for a new democratic state to be formed based around areas of the Alarion Province of the Lyran Alliance. The Democracy Now movement gained momentum in 3071, and in August that year Vermezzo experienced pro-Democracy Now demonstrations. Five years later, Lindon Ashley had become the leader of Democracy Now, and the military wing of the movement - the Democratic People's Army - had been re-established, based around the nearby world of Virtue. In mid-February 3075 the DPA raided Vermezzo and captured or killed not just the bulk of the three ruling families but also much of their supporting government staff. Against a backdrop of rising protests and increasing public outcry against the methods used by Democracy Now, the Kaumberg Archonette launched an assault against Vermezzo on the 11th of April. The operation on Vermezzo was led by Baron Trent Hasseldof, the Kaumberg Archonette's military chief, while Baron Erich Sheridan made the rare decision to command Kaumberg forces directly during the attack on Akfata.
Although the campaign for the nearby world of Akfata was launched on the same day as the assault on Vermezzo, the Akfata campaign would be over by the 1st of May, and far less bloodily than the battle for Vermezzo. The Democracy Now forces on Vermezzo resorted to taking hostages and fighting a scorched earth campaign against the Kaumberg Planetary Guard, and by the time the inevitable defeat arrived and Vermezzo had been reclaimed by the Kaumberg Archonette, thousands had been left homeless, injured or dead.
An action widely reported through local media was the battle in and around the city of Cidade de Óleo in late April/early May 3075. The Democracy Now forces on Vermezzo had been subject to heavy attacks from various armor and infantry detachments from the Kaumberg Archonette and had retreated towards Cidade de Óleo, a settlement of some fifty thousand people associated with the oil industry engaged in exploiting the nearby Óleo Reserve. The Reserve was one of the richest petroleum deposits in the Archonette, and while it was assumed that the Democracy Now forces were retreating towards and ultimately into Cidade de Óleo with the intention of gaining time and distance, the Democracy Now forces had a more nefarious plan in mind.
By retreating over the oil field and into the city, both important resources to the Archonette, the Democracy Now forces gambled correctly that the Kaumberg forces wouldn't risk firing. When the Archonette troops were in the center of the oil field, Democracy Now fired the field by setting off charges placed at various pumping stations dotted around the Reserve. The resulting firestorm killed the Archonette forces immediately; the Democracy Now forces then retreated ahead of the wall of fire burning it's way across the Reserve. The Democracy Now troops moved through Cidade de Óleo, but made no effort to try and evacuate any of the thousands of people in the city as they did so; once they had moved through, they destroyed the bridges and roads behind them, leaving the population of the city trapped with no means of escape from the approaching flames. Tens of thousands were killed as Cidade de Óleo burned.
- Cidade de Óleo: A notable settlement located near the Óleo Reserve.
- The Óleo Reserve: a very rich deposit of petroleum, notable for being the largest in the local region of space.
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 25, "Rim Worlds Republic At the Fall of the Star League "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 36, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Field Manual: SLDF, Inner Sphere - 2764 Map
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere - 2822"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 39 "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 132, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion "
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere "
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 21, "Lyran Alliance Armed Forces Deployment Map - August 3079"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3135"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 17, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 50, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 52, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 53, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 14, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 15, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 23-24, "Akfata Reclaimed"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 16, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 54, "The Jihad In Review"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130