|Manufacturer||Drennan Industriplex |
Manufacturing Plant SFF-TU1
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Coyotl Endo Steel|
|Engine||Pitban 280 XL|
|Communications System||CI-Com 2|
|Targeting Tracking System||CI-X 2|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
The Coyotl has the honor of being the first OmniMech. Developed by Clan Coyote with some help from Clan Sea Fox, the Coyotl was first fielded in 2854. Taking the modular nature of the earlier Mercury to its logical conclusion, the Coyotl was originally developed along the same lines. When the Coyote scientists saw that they could create the OmniMech, they jumped at the chance. The result was a 'Mech that could have its weapons load tailored for a particular mission, though the Coyotes did not fully capitalize on Omni technology until 2859, when the Coyotes equipped all of their Alpha Galaxy with OmniMechs and expanded rapidly with the Kerensky Cluster.
By using an XL Engine and Endo Steel chassis, the scientists were able to create a medium 'Mech that could carry a great deal of equipment. In addition, the high ground speed of the Coyotl allowed it to rush from one area of a battlefield to another, providing support for its teammates.
Though a useful 'Mech that demonstrated how effective an OmniMech could be, the Coyotl couldn't compete with later designs from other Clans. Further, the Coyotl production became ever more stifled as the fortunes of Clan Coyote waned and territory was lost. With the amount of spare parts dwindling, the Coyotes shut down their production lines in 2943. Sensing a sales opportunity, the Coyotl was one of a number of Golden Century designs Clan Sea Fox would revive to sell during the Dark Age era.
Weapons and Equipment
The primary version of the Coyotl used an ER PPC and LRM-10 as the primary long range weapons, while a Medium Pulse Laser and Streak SRM-4 provided short range firepower. Originally the engineers thought they would build each variant around the PPC, but this proved to be too limiting, particularly with the high heat it caused. The missile systems were added to provide firepower at a lower heat cost.
- Alt. Config. A
- This variation was introduced during a conflict against Clan Cloud Cobra. Mounting seven Jump Jets gave the Coyotl A much greater maneuverability, while the long range weapons were traded for a Large Pulse Laser, Small Pulse Laser, and additional Streak SRM-4 launcher. This version also dropped the Medium Pulse Laser of the original. BV (2.0) = 1,753
- Alt. Config. C
- This configuration carries an ATM-6 in the left arm, an ER Large Laser in the right arm, and a Plasma Cannon in the right torso. The missile launcher and plasma cannon each have two tons of ammo. Additional protection is provided by an ECM Suite to jam enemy networks. BV (2.0) = 1,851
- Alt. Config. D
- The final Sea Fox-created configuration features an Improved Heavy Large Laser and AP Gauss Rifle tied into a Targeting Computer. This is supplemented by a Streak LRM-10, while a TAG system allows the Coyotl to call in artillery strikes. To rapidly engage and disengage threats, a Supercharger on the engine allows the 'Mech to sprint at speeds of up to 150km/h. BV (2.0) = 1,180
- Mercury - Though the Coyotl has earned the history of being called the first OmniMech ever created, it owes its existence to the Mercury BattleMech, which used modular systems to make the respected OmniMech.
- Mercury II - While its progenitor would provide the modular systems, the Clan Wolverine produced Mercury II would help inspire the frame and visual look of the first OmniMech.
- Era Digest: Golden Century, p. 22
- Technical Readout: Golden Century, pp. 14-15 "Coyotl"
- MUL online entry for Coyotl
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 41
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 59
- Era Digest: Golden Century, p. 29