- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
|Chassis||Coyotl Endo Steel|
|Engine||Pitban 280 XL|
|Communications System||CI-Com 2|
|Targeting Tracking System||CI-X 2|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
The Coyotl has the honor of being the first OmniMech. Developed by Clan Coyote with some help from Clan Sea Fox, the Coyotl was first fielded in 2854. Taking the modular nature of the earlier Mercury to its logical conclusion, the Coyotl was originally developed along the same lines. When the Coyote scientists saw that they could create the OmniMech, they jumped at the chance. The result was a 'Mech that could have its weapons load tailored for a particular mission, though the Coyotes did not fully capitalize on Omni technology until 2859, when the Coyotes equipped all of their Alpha Galaxy with OmniMechs and expanded rapidly with the Kerensky Cluster.
By using an XL Engine and Endo Steel chassis, the scientists were able to create a medium 'Mech that could carry a great deal of equipment. In addition, the high ground speed of the Coyotl allowed it to rush from one area of a battlefield to another, providing support for its teammates.
Though a useful 'Mech that demonstrated how effective an OmniMech could be, the Coyotl couldn't compete with later designs from other Clans. Further, the Coyotl production became ever more stifled as the fortunes of Clan Coyote waned and territory was lost. With the amount of spare parts dwindling, the Coyotes shut down their production lines in 2943.
Weapons and Equipment
The primary version of the Coyotl used an ER PPC and LRM-10 as the primary long range weapons, while a Medium Pulse Laser and Streak SRM-4 provided short range firepower. Originally the engineers thought they would build each variant around the PPC, but this proved to be too limiting, particularly with the high heat it caused. The missile systems were added to provide firepower at a lower heat cost.
- Alt. Config. A
- This variation was introduced during a conflict against Clan Cloud Cobra. Mounting seven Jump Jets gave the Coyotl A much greater maneuverability, while the long range weapons were traded for a Large Pulse Laser, Small Pulse Laser, and additional Streak SRM-4 launcher. This version also dropped the Medium Pulse Laser of the original. BV (2.0) = 1,753
Mercury - Though the Coyotl has earned the history of being called the first Omnimech ever created, it owes its existence to the Mercury BattleMech, which used modular systems to make the respected Omnimech.
- Era Digest: Golden Century, p. 22
- MUL online entry for Coyotl
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 41
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 59
- Era Digest: Golden Century, p. 29