|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Mitchell Heavy HEP|
|Armor||Armorscale with CASE|
|Communications System||Exeter Longscan 100|
|Targeting Tracking System||Tacticon Tracer 150b|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
First unleashed by the Terran Hegemony in 2460, the Helepolis is a ponderous BattleMech designed to deliver artillery fire. The 'Mech was proven ineffective on multiple occasions and, following the destruction of the production facilities in 2775, the design was lost during the Succession Wars. The HEP-2H dates to 2567, replacing the 2X.
The Helepolis is a slow heavy 'Mech with a maximum speed of 54 km/h. It has a respectable thirteen tons of armor, however.
When rebels within the Hegemony military launched the September Revolt, the new Director-General, Ian Cameron deployed batteries of Helepolis 'Mechs to keep them pinned down within the capital city of Geneva on Terra.
Weapons and Equipment
The Helepolis is built around an Armstrong Industries Sniper Artillery Piece. The accurate, long-range fire makes it effective against static defenses. The 'Mech does carry some backup weapons to augment its screening forces. It can defend itself with a Coventry Starfire LRM-10 and Nova Large Laser. If an enemy gets close, the MechWarrior can call upon a Thunderstroke SRM-6 and a Starflash Medium Laser.
- The earliest version, designed by Gregory Kean, used standard heat sinks and its Primitive Engine could only manage 30 km/h. This proved to be a challenge as the early Helepolis needed to completely stop to fire the Sniper artillery and then start moving again before counterbattery fire could destroy the unit. Twenty and a half tons of Primitive Armor protected the Helepolis from enemy fire. The weight and bulk of the primitive systems prevented the designers from installing the long range missiles used on later models. BV (2.0) = 1055
- the original model of the HEP-2H, which debuted in 2488, identical to the later model in all respects except having 10 single heat sinks instead of 10 double heat sinks (See entry for Helepolis on the BattleTech Master Unit List, as only current source).
- This variant was introduced much more recently by Vining Engineering and Salvage Team. VEST rebuilt a factory on Solaris VII after the Word of Blake had left that world. There, they began to produce an upgraded version of the Helepolis. This upgrade of the 3H is built on an Endo Steel frame. It is powered by a 300-rated Light Fusion Engine that gives it a top speed of 64 km/h, though this necessitated splitting the missile launcher into two LRM-5s. BV (2.0) = 1,366
- Technical Readout: 3075, pp. 182-183, "Helepolis Profile"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 1, p. 7
- Era Digest: Age of War, p. 11
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 174
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 64
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 182, "Deployment", 2nd paragraph
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 176
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 65
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 177
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 66
- BattleMech Manual, p. 92 - Design Quirk Table - Helepolis Entry.