Vining Engineering and Salvage Team
|Vining Engineering and Salvage Team|
|Primary Site(s)||Solaris VII|
|Primary Products||Aerospace fighters|
VEST began as a five-person BattleMech salvage operation in the Solaris VII led by engineering genius and ex-NAIS graduate Dr. David Courtney Vining, producing refitted Solaris designs for the Games. During the initial Clan Invasion, Vining took the unusual step of leading his design team to the front lines to see firsthand the amazing technology of the invaders. While rumor holds they brought back captured Clan-tech, the only thing certain is that VEST designs showed vast improvements when they returned, slowly gaining the firm a reputation as one of innovative design groups for battlefield technology in the Inner Sphere.
While continuing to hand build 'Mechs for the arenas, unlike many of the other niche cottage industry Solaris manufacturers, VEST have had great success in selling their designs to larger manufacturing firms, most notable the Jackal and Grand Titan produced by Earthwerks Incorporated.
The Jihad was particularly brutal on Solaris VII, and VEST was heavily damaged, suffering heavy capital and personnel losses of 92%, and the operating capacity of the factory is down to only 4% of their full production volume in 3072. By 3079 they lost 95% of their staff and production plants, and in 3079 they were only able to operate at 15% of their pre-Jihad production. This still put them ahead of every other Solaris based manufacturer, all of whom lost the ability to produce BattleMechs. To rebuild and recruit new staff members, they issued an IPO in 3079 to raise 600,000,000 kroner. In 3079 they had shut down every production line except those for the Heliopolis and Valiant.
This low point did not last. Post-Jihad, the Republic of the Sphere supported the revival and recovery of VEST. The successful sale of the AQS-5 MAM Aquagladius to the Republic Armed Forces in 3090 led VEST to aim development towards the RAF contract market.
|“||"If we don't have it, you don't need it!"||”|
|— Marketing slogan used in 3132|
VEST has a manufacturing center on the following planet:
- Solaris: The Reaches, p. 24: "'Mech Tech" - VEST fluff
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 148: "VEST Profile"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 26: "Solaris VII Corporate Profiles"
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 4
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 29
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 34
- Experimental Technical Readout: Caveat Emptor, p. 2
- Experimental Technical Readout: Caveat Emptor, p. 14
- Dark Age: 3132-3134 INN, p. 282: "3132 Solaris VII Championships Season Review (Part 1)"
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 150: "Produced Hyena Components"
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 146: "Produced Volkh Components"
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 148: "Produced Aquagladius Components"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Most Wanted, p. 5
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 174: "Produced Great Turtle Components"
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 168: "Produced Sasquatch Components"
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 20: "Note of produced variant and components"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Boondocks, p. 13: "Produced Thrush Fighter variant"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Caveat Emptor, p. 13
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 182: "Variants Note"
- Dark Age: 3132-3134 INN
- Experimental Technical Readout: Boondocks
- Experimental Technical Readout: Caveat Emptor
- Experimental Technical Readout: Most Wanted
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance
- Solaris: The Reaches
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3075