- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Novy Minsk Armaments Plant|
|Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Viper NK12 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Compound V9 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||New Kent Type 50 400 XL|
|Communications System||Mercer 973|
|Targeting Tracking System||GEG Pattern 492/1|
|Heat Sinks||17 Double heat sinks|
|Jump Jets||Pryzhok WM15|
Following their ejection from the Inner Sphere, Clan Steel Viper used its invading Clan strength to expand its holdings within the Kerensky Cluster. Khan Perigard Zalman's controversial decision to allow freebirths into the Clan's touman bore fruit as the trueborn warriors could focus on expanding the Clan's territory. The problem the Vipers ran into was equipping these troops. Beginning in 3062, Clan Steel Viper replaced the electronics and weaponry of the Golden Century Storm Giant and rechristened it as the "new" Scylla assault BattleMech, named after a sea monster from Greek mythology. This "upgraded" version kept the old engine that enabled it to move quickly for a 'Mech of its size, adding enough jump jets to leap up to one hundred twenty meters. Fifteen and a half tons of armor protect the design from enemy fire.
Weapons and Equipment
The amazing maneuverability of this one hundred ton BattleMech has cost it in firepower. A pair of Type XX "Great Bow" LRM-20s provide the main bite. They are supplemented by a Series 7k ER Large Laser that is mounted in the head. A Type KOV LB-X Autocannon/10 does not have quite the same range, though it is still effective at a longer range than most other weapons. A pair of Series 2c ER Medium Lasers provides support at medium range. Seventeen double heat sinks keep this design relatively cool.
- Storm Giant - The Storm Giant was used as a basis for the Scylla, with the latter replacing weaponry, electronics and adding jump jets. Other difference were not discussed.
Original Scylla from TRO:3067
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 134-135
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 233
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 234
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 235