Second Soviet Civil War
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
The Second Soviet Civil War (November 2011 - March 2014) heralded the collapse of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR), following the assassination of Premier Oleg Tikonov, and was stopped by NATO forces.
On January 14, 2011, just hours after Soviet Premier Oleg Tikonov had signed the Tikonov Accords (a document pledging liberal reforms and free elections within the Warsaw Pact), Tikonov was assassinated by Islamic militant Mustafa Khemar Rhasori. In the wake of Tikonov's death, power struggles within the Soviet Union started a chain of events that led to the Second Soviet Civil War.
Member nations of the Warsaw Pact saw their opportunity to rebel against the Soviet Union while USSR leaders were distracted by the power vacuum. Kiev was the starting point when it was seized by a coalition of ethnic and nationalist groups that then formed the Ukraine Peoples Republic. Two weeks later, Czechoslovakia and East Germany left the Warsaw Pact. Director of the KGB, Admiral Sergei Tarantoff, instituted martial law and assumed command of the Soviet military.
The Second Soviet Civil War began with one side loyal to Tikonov's liberal policies and the other to conservative Communism.
Shortly after the declaration of martial law, the Soviet Army collapsed, resulting in escalated bloodshed. In the resulting confusion, some Soviet military commanders launched nuclear warheads (ICBM's) at western targets, including both East and West Germany. This caused NATO to intervene militarily to prevent massive casualties on both sides of the conflict. The Crippen Station, part of the Western Orbital Defense Network (WODeN), played a pivotal role in destroying the ICBMs, as part of the western nations satellite defenses.
As a sign of political revolution, the Poles adopted the upraised clenched fist as their symbol. Troops wore this on arm patches and painted it across armored vehicles of the Polish Revolutionary Army.
NATO first liberated Czechoslovakia and Poland, then invaded the Soviet Union through the newly independent Latvian port of Riga. Riga was ultimately destroyed by a Conservative Soviet Army division using chemical weapons. Fanaticism like this led the liberal Soviet faction to become allies with NATO forces.
Western forces continued their intervention until the war ended with the surrender of the last Old Guard-controlled ICBM site to Loyalist forces in March 2014.
Among NATO's West German contingent were five members of the Steiner family, who took the Poles' symbol to heart, using it for business symbols, painted emblems on the sides of recreational racing vehicles, or as designer jewelry. This eventually lead to the Lyran Commonwealth's fist of today.
The Second Soviet Civil War resulted in the deaths of more than 15,000,000 civilians and military personnel in the Soviet Union alone.
Meeting in Kiev, leaders of various Soviet political and ethnic groups dissolved the USSR. Seven independent Russian States were created in a loose confederation.
Meeting in newly reunited Berlin, leaders of the various Western powers, led by the British Prime Minister, merged NATO and the European Common Market into the Western Alliance.
- 2011, Start of Second Soviet Civil War.
- 2014, End of Second Soviet Civil War.
- 2014, Formation of the Democratic Republic of European Russia.
- 2014, Formation of the People's Union of Kazakh.
- 2014, Formation of the Islamic Republic of Turkmen.
- 2014, Formation of the Soviet Socialist Republic.
- 2014, Formation of the Democracy of Yakut.
- 2014, Formation of the Magadan Socialist Republic.
- 2014, Formation of the Confederation of Free Orient Peoples.
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 15, "The Western Alliance To The Fall Of The Star League"
- Start Date - November, 2011
- End Date - March, 2014