- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Has Arrived - Here's What You Can Expect
- The 'Mech That Looks Most Like A Turkey
- Community Outreach - How Michael Todd Met Robert N. Charrette
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Blue Nose Clipperships|
|Tech Base||Star League/Clan|
|Safe Thrust||1 g|
|Top Thrust||1.5 g|
|KF Drive Integrity||17|
|Armament|| 12 x NAC/20s |
6 x NL45s
8 x Medium NPPCs
2 x Killer Whale Missile Launchers
4 x Barracuda Missile Launchers
|Armor||Improved Ferro-Aluminum Armor|
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||0|
|Heat Sinks||1,075 (2,150)|
The Sovetskii Soyuz was originally classed as a heavy cruiser developed as part of an overhaul of the Star League Defense Forces naval fleet following years of neglect due to large amounts of money being spent on the automated Space Defense Systems. While SDS construction had been going on, the Star League fleet had fallen behind in technology and capability when compared to newer WarShips emerging from member state shipyards. The Sovetskii Soyuz was one of a number of new designs to emerge following the New Arms Order of 2735 and was notable for its large use of computer control as well as its heavy armament. Four hundred ships of this class would be built before the Amaris Civil War brought about the downfall of the Star League. The vast majority were destroyed in the attempt to depose Amaris, but around 40 surviving vessels left with General Kerensky's Exodus fleet and a number continue to serve in the Clan toumans. It became public knowledge in the second half of the thirty-first century that ComStar maintained two Sovetskii Soyuzes in service as a part of their WarShip fleet, and during the course of the Jihad it became apparent that the Word of Blake had recovered two Sovetskii Soyuzes of their own and restored them to service.
The class carries such a large armament that some officers consider the Sovetskii Soyuz a mini-Battlecruiser. Its formidable weapons array consists of 12 Class-20 Naval Autocannons, 6 Class 45 Naval Lasers, 8 Medium Naval Particle Projection Cannons, 2 White Shark and 4 Barracuda Missile Launcher batteries. The size and number of these weapons however required a sacrifice in armor, with the ship mounting almost 50% less armor than the smaller Black Lion battlecruiser. Despite the light armor the Sovetskii Soyuz class were able to perform well in the war to liberate Terra, using its long range firepower to keep adversaries at a distance.
- Bay 1: 20 Fighters
- Bay 2: 8 Small Craft
- Bay 3: Cargo
As with all their WarShips, the Clans have performed periodic maintenance upgrades which have introduced new tech. The main differences between the ships used by the Clans and the Star League Navy are an increased fighter compliment from 18 to 20, upgrading the armor to Ferro-Aluminum armor and adding HarJel hull sealant units.
- Sovetskii Soyuz means "Soviet Union" in Russian.
A Sovetskii Soyuz in action as a part of Task Force Leonidas
- MUL online date for the Sovetskii Soyuz
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 303
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, pp. 150-151, "Sovetskii Soyuz Ship Profile"
- The Dragon Roars, p. 26-27, "Attack Flotilla"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 83, "ComStar Naval Assets"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 128, "Word of Blake Naval Assets"
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets
- Dawn of the Jihad
- The Dragon Roars
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans
- Field Manual: Warden Clans
- Field Report: Clans
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- The Dragon Roars
- The Star League
- Technical Readout: 2750
- Technical Readout: 3057
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised