- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Has Arrived - Here's What You Can Expect
- The 'Mech That Looks Most Like A Turkey
- Community Outreach - How Michael Todd Met Robert N. Charrette
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- Read more →
|ZEU-X4 Zeus X|
|Manufacturer||Defiance Manufacturing Annex|
|Chassis||Chariot III Ultralight Composite|
|Armor||Durallex Shockwave Reactive with CASE II.|
|Engine||Defiance 400 XXL|
|Communications System||TharHes Calliope ZE-5A2|
|Targeting Tracking System||TharHes Ares-X9-B|
|Heat Sinks||11 Double Heat Sinks|
Manufactured on Kwangjong-ni by Defiance, the Zeus X was both a poster child for excellence in production engineering and an innovative high-technology platform. The ZEU-X4 entered full production in 3110s as an evolution of several earlier designs, it combined the huge engine, light but brittle internal structure and multiple layers of advanced armor that characterized the Zeus X program with a carefully chosen selection of sensible and effective equipment.
The Zeus X was powered by a massive Defiance 400 extra-extra-light fusion engine that enabled the eighty-ton 'Mech to reach speeds in excess of eighty kilometers an hour, giving the Zeus X the speed of a 'Mech many tons lighter. Fourteen and a half tons of Reactive Armor protected the fragile composite skeleton of the Zeus X; the Cockpit Command Console installed in the head of each Zeus X allowed it to function as a command 'Mech.
Weapons and Equipment
The Zeus X mounted a Corean Light Gauss Rifle with a ton of ammunition in the left arm, and a Doombud LRM 20 Launcher in the right arm, fed by two tons of ammunition stored in the right torso. A Defiance Model 6 Extended Range Large Laser was mounted in the left torso and a Defiance X5M Medium X-Pulse Laser in the center torso.
- The first of what became commonly referred to as the Zeus X series, the ZEU-X was a variant of the venerable Zeus BattleMech developed during the Clan Invasion that used Experimental Technology to push the envelope of the original Zeus design. The 'Mech was built using a Composite chassis which weighed half as much as a regular chassis, but was only half as strong as a normal internal structure. The 'Mech was also armored with both normal armor and Reactive Armor on its limbs. The 'Mech was armed with an LB-X Autocannon/20 as its primary weapon, backed up by an MRM 30 launcher. The ZEU-X carried three tons of ammunition for the LB-X AC/20 and two tons for the MRM 30, stored in the right torso and protected by CASE II. For close combat, the Zeus had two Medium X-Pulse Lasers. Finally, for added speed, the 'Mech was built using an XXL engine which weighed only seventeen and a half tons, giving the 'Mech a maximum speed of 86 kph, and carried a dozen Double Heat Sinks. The ZEU-X was the most heavily armored of the Zeus X variants to enter service prior to the Blackout, mounting a full fifteen and a half tons of armor. BV (1.0) = 1,471, BV (2.0) = 2,149.
- Developed during the FedCom Civil War and built using the same engine and chassis as the ZEU-X, the -X2 took its weapons cues from the ZEU-9T model of Zeus; the -X2 carried an ER PPC as its main weapon, giving it a much greater range than the LB-X Autocannon/20 carried by the ZEU-X model, along with a smaller MRM 20 in place of the larger launcher on the -X, with just a single ton of ammunition. It was highly effective as a sniper 'Mech, with its high mobility giving it the ability to dictate the range of an engagement. Although it mounted a ton less armor, the -X2 carried eighteen double heat sinks, half again as many as the -X. BV (1.0) = 1,493, BV (2.0) = 1,945.
- The -X3 carried four ER Medium Lasers in the right arm and an ER PPC in the left arm, connected to a Targeting Computer. The true uniqueness of the design came in its use of Improved Jump Jets: the -X3 could jump up to 240 meters, which rivaled the jumping capability of any light 'Mech. This combination of heavy armor, speed and firepower made -the X3 the nightmare of any light or medium 'Mech and could outmaneuver any heavy or assault 'Mech. The -X3 mounted seventeen double heat sinks. BV (1.0) = 1,992, BV (2.0) = 2,210.
- ZEU-9WD Zeus-X
- Starting life as one of Zeus-X testbeds, ZEUX0003 was gifted by the Kell Hounds to Black Widow Company commander Stacy Church. When Church landed on Outreach in 3071 it mounted a Light Fusion Engine and eleven and half tons of Light Ferro-Fibrous armor, and was armed with a Defiance 2002 Heavy PPC in its right arm, supported by an LB-X AC/20 mounted in the left arm and torso, and a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers. Two heat sinks were dropped to carry three tons of autocannon reloads. BV (2.0) = 1,716 
- ZEU-9WD Zeus-X Stacy
- Upgraded with experimental systems after the Widow's return to Arc-Royal, when they faced off against the Opacus Venatori in 3071, Stacy's 'Mech featured improved defensive protection due to a Blue Shield Particle Field Damper and extra one and half tons of armor. This required modification of the weapons array, while the Heavy PPC was retained and even enhanced by a BL-AM-WC Actuator Enhancement System, the large-bore, torso-mounted LB-X Autocannon had to be swapped for -9S-style left-arm mounted LB-X AC/10, and the medium pulse lasers replaced with extended range models. Even with only two tons of reloads, a double heat sink had to be removed to save weight. BV (2.0) = 2,011 
The Zeus X is subject to the following Design Quirks:
- Stacy Church, Captain in the Wolf's Dragoons and commander of the Black Widow Company piloted an experimental ZEU-9WD Zeus-X during the Jihad.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, p. 42-43, "ZEU-X4 Zeus X"
- MUL online date for the Zeus X
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 317
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, p. 100, "Zeux X ZEU-X"
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I, p. 70
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 314
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, p. 101, "Zeux X ZEU-2X"
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I, p. 71
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 315
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, p. 102, "Zeux X ZEU-3X"
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I, p. 72
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 316
- Starterbook: Wolf and Blake, p. 119
- Starterbook: Wolf and Blake, pp. 20, 108
- Starterbook: Wolf and Blake