- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||McKenna Shipyards, Universal Air|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Sail Diameter||1,375 m|
|Safe Thrust||2 g|
|Top Thrust||3 g|
|KF Drive Integrity||16|
|Armament|| 6 x NL45s |
2 x NL55s
6 x NAC/20
3 x NAC/40
8 x Medium N-Gauss Cannons
14 x AR-10 Launchers
4 x LB 10-X ACs
12 x Large Lasers
16 x Medium Pulse Lasers
26 x LRM 15s with Artemis IV FCS
3 x Screen Launcher
21 x AMS
|Armor||1,801 tons of Lamellor Ferro-Carbide|
|Grav Decks||2 (145m)|
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||35/15|
|Heat Sinks||937 (Double)|
Although initial designs were laid out in the early 3050s, production on the Avalon class WarShip did not begin until much later due to the financial cost of recovering from the Clan Invasion. In the meantime the shipyards at Galax, Kathil, and New Syrtis were heavily upgraded in anticipation, resulting in some of the most modern shipyards in the Inner Sphere. Ultimately the honor of building the Avalon went to Kathil Shipworks and Universal Air operating jointly above Kathil in the massive McKenna Shipyards.
Weighing in at 770,000 tons, the Avalon is intended as a missile cruiser with fourteen AR-10 missile tubes, although it also carries enough direct fire weaponry to keep opponents from getting too close. The ship is quite heavily armored, carrying over 1,700 tons of Lamellor Ferro-Carbide armor, better protection then even the vaunted McKenna. Massive Goliath LV9 engines can propel the Avalon at speeds uncommon for a cruiser, giving the ship unparalleled maneuverability and the edge against ships of similar size.
The Avalon is also designed with fleet tactics and deployments in mind and carries a staggering amount of fuel and cargo to support its attending fleet. Six DropShips, twelve aerospace fighters, and a number of conventional weapons protect the Avalon from enemy fighter squadrons and DropShips and add to the vessel's already heavy firepower.
The Avalon's fourteen AR-10 missile tubes are capable of launching any capital missile available, though the ship typically carries Killer Whale and Barracuda missiles. Because of their concentrated punch and extended range these missiles can spell disaster for those on the receiving end, the shaped charge penetrating even the heaviest of armor. Screen Launchers on the bow and broadsides help prevent this tactic from being used against the Avalon as well. For support, the Avalon carries a variety of medium grade naval weaponry including NL45 and 55s, NAC/30 and 40s, and several Medium Naval Gauss cannons. Together, these weapons make the Avalon a dangerous foe.
- Bay 1: 6 Small Crafts, 2 Doors
- Bay 2: 6 Small Crafts, 2 Doors
- Bay 3: Cargo 13,860.5, 4 Doors
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 184
- online date for the Avalon
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 296
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 206, "Avalon (Cruiser)"