|Chassis||Earthwerk GRF Quad|
|Engine||Magna 350 XL|
|BV (1.0)|| 1,309|
Katherine Steiner-Davion decided during her reign over the Lyran Alliance that she wanted a four legged BattleMech that would evoke fear in its enemies in a similar vein to the classic Atlas and Banshee designs. To do this, the Barghest is built on an Earthwerk GRF Quad chassis that supports a Magna 350 XL engine that saves weight and allows the 'Mech to carry a heavy weapons payload. The Barghest is protected by thirteen tons of Durallex Heavy armor that protects it from all but the heaviest enemy fire. To handle the 'Mech's heat buildup from its weapons, the Barghest has ten double heat sinks.
The Barghest carries two BlazeFire Sweetshot ER Large Lasers that allow the 'Mech to hit a target at up to five hundred and seventy meters. For medium to close range combat, the Barghest carries a powerful Defiance Disintegrator LB-X Autocannon/20 that is capable of firing both standard ammunition and cluster rounds that act like 'Mech-sized shotgun shells. The 'Mech's simplicity is also a weakness, as the Barghest has only the two ER Large Lasers if the autocannon falls silent from a lack of ammunition or a jam.
- BGS-2T - The 2T removes the weapons of the 1T model and replaces them with a single ER PPC and an Ultra Autocannon/20. The ultra autocannon is capable of firing at twice the rate as a standard autocannon, giving the 2T an incredible amount of short range firepower. The Barghest has also gained an additional ton of armor protection, making the 'Mech even harder to take down on the battlefield. BV (1.0) = 1,340, (1,236), BV (2.0) = 1,794
- BGS-3T - The 3T variant of the Barghest utilizes the new Heavy Gauss Rifle as its primary weapon that is capable of striking at relatively long ranges with a great deal of firepower that increases as the 3T Barghest closes with its target. To back this up, the 3T has a single ER Large Laser and also has fourteen tons of armor. BV (1.0) = 1692, BV (2.0) = 1,900
- BGS-4T - The production version of the BGS-4X, this Barghest uses the Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle, CASE II, and Quad BattleMech Turret of that variant. The PPCs and PPC Capacitors of that version have been removed to make room for an ER Large Laser and ER Medium Laser. The Small Cockpit remains, as does the C3 Slave. BV (2.0) = 1,734
- BGS-7S - Developed during the Jihad, the 7S was improved over its predecessors with Advanced Technologies. This variant is geared to provide fire support to other lancemates rather the usual assault role of the design. In place of its original weaponry, the 'Mech now has a pair of Medium Variable Speed Pulse Lasers, a pair of Light PPCs, and a single Artemis IV enhanced 7-Tubed Multi-Missile Launcher with two tons of ammunition. For close up firepower, aside from the MML the 'Mech has a Extended Range Flamer mounted in the head and a rear-firing Medium Pulse Laser. BV (2.0) = 1,526
 Custom Variants
- BGS-4X - Using an Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle as its main armament, this version of the Barghest also uses experimental systems to maximize protection and combat effectiveness. The Endo Steel structure and Small Cockpit save enough room to allow the 'Mech to carry two Light PPCs with PPC Capacitors in a Quad BattleMech Turret. This device allows the Barghest pilot to put accurate fire in a 360 degree arc around the 'Mech. To protect it from an exploding Gauss Rifle, the 'Mech also carries a CASE II system. Finally the LCAF installed a C3 Slave unit in the head. BV(2.0)=1,667
 Related BattleMechs
- Bushwacker - TharHes Industries used the Bushwacker's chassis as the basis of the Barghest. TharHes repositioned the legs of the Bushwacker forward, becoming the front legs of the quad, and added a second pair of legs to the back of the torso. The mass of the chassis was subsequently increased to 70 tons.
 Design Quirks
 Mech Gallery
- ↑ MUL online date for the Barghest
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Combat Operations, p. 131
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060, p. 178
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 168
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Technical Readout: 3060, p. 114, "Barghest 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060, p. 179
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 169
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 170
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 127
- ↑ Record Sheets: Prototypes, p. 69
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 171, "Jihad variant of the Barghest".
- ↑ Experimental Technical Readout: Steiner, p. 7