- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||New Hessen WorkMechs|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Hessen Light Mk I|
|Engine||GM 245 XL Engine|
|Communications System||Neil 6000|
|Targeting Tracking System||Octagon Tartrac System C|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
|BV (1.0)||1,088 |
The Blade is a light-weight scouting and raiding 'Mech that employs its fearsome speed to strike at larger 'Mechs, then to escape before their opponents can track them. Well-suited for pack-hunter and swarming tactics, the Blade works well with other fast units such as the classic Locust and the Clan Dasher.
Originally commissioned by the Republic of the Sphere's first Commanding General Victor Steiner-Davion, the Blade was his attempt to standardize and simplify the hodgepodge military hardware as Stone's Coalition became the Republic Armed Forces. The Blade was manufactured from the mid 3080s til around 3096, becoming the signature 'Mechs for Principes Guards, Hastati Sentinels and elite Knights of the Sphere regiments.
Weapons and Equipment
An excellent close quarters 'Mech, the Blade is built around a Mydron Tornado Rotary Autocannon/5 supplied with three tons of reloads as its primary weapon, supported by a pair of Diverse Optics ER Medium Lasers, all three weapons located in the 'Mech's right arm. While critics pointed out the risk of locating all the 'Mechs weapon in a single location, the decision was based on the manufacturer's attempts to achieve an OmniMech level ease of maintenance on a standard BattleMech. Save for the shoulder actuator, ammo and energy feeds, the entire arm is a self contained system, allowing technicians to quickly and easily detach and replace a damaged arm with a undamaged replacement with relative ease.
- This Dark Age variant is a direct fire support model introduced by the Republic of the Sphere in 3125. It carries a Light PPC and Light AC/2 in each arm. A Small Cockpit was needed to fit this equipment in place. It is protected by seven and a half tons of Reactive Armor. BV (2.0) = 1,101
- An anti-aircraft model based on the XS, the XX mounts a Mydron Excel LB 10-X Autocannon in place of the standard model. While carrying two tons of ammunition, the designers were not able to adapt the ammo feed to switch between ammo types, forcing the XX to carry either standard or cluster ammunition in battle. BV (2.0) = 1,064
Dark Age Dossier Variants
The following designs were originally introduced in WizKids' collectable miniature game, which these units appeared solely in dossiers. At this time, there are no canon record sheets of these units.
- This Blade replaces the Rotary Autocannon/5 with an Mydron Excel LB 10-X AC, which allows it to fire both solid and cluster rounds-giving the 'Mech a range advantage over the standard model.
- This variant of the Blade incorporates a standard AC/10 in place of the Rotary Autocannon/5. The 'Mech also carries two ER Medium Lasers and removes the single ER Small Laser. This modification to the 'Mech allows it to use specialty ammunition with its autocannon, such as precision and armor piercing ammunition that the standard Blade cannot take advantage of. To make this modification work the 'Mech has had its top speed reduced to 97.2 km/h.
- Ezekiel Crow was once a Paladin of The Republic of the Sphere. Famous for piloting his Blade during his tenure as Paladin, Crow was actually Daniel Petersen, the Betrayer of Liao. Crow forged a new identity for himself, but his past was unearthed by agents in the employ of Jacob Bannson, who forced him to abandon the Northwind Highlanders while faking his death on Terra. He again fled, taking on the identity of Michael Ritter, but his past caught up with him and he perished attempting to defend the Republic on his homeworld.
- Technical Readout: 3085 Supplemental, pp. 24-25, "BLD-XL Blade"
- MUL online entry for the Blade
- Harsha Miskovitz dossier Liao Incursion no. 39 - Blade Production history listed in dossier.
- MUL online entry for the Blade BLD-XS variant
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 97
- MUL online entry for the Blade BLD-XR variant
- Experimental Technical Readout: Republic, Volume 2, p. 8, "BLD-XR Blade"
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 98
- MUL online entry for the Blade BLD-XX variant
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 93
- MUL online entry for the Blade BLD-7R variant
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90 Design Quirk Table - Blade Entry.
- By Temptations and By War, p. 282, "Crow dies as Daniel Peterson fighting Capellan forces trying taking Liao".
- BattleMech Manual
- By Temptations and By War (Novel)
- Experimental Technical Readout: Republic, Volume 2
- Master Unit List
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Republic of the Sphere - Ezekial Crow's Dossier
- Republic of the Sphere - Harsha Miskovitz's Dossier
- Swordworn - Jacob Senn's Dossier
- Spirit Cats - Sixo Nova Cat's Dossier
- Technical Readout: 3085 Supplemental