|Type||Ballistic (Direct Fire)|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Year Availability||2460 (TH)|
|Ammo Per Ton||10|
|Ammo Cost (per ton)||6,000|
|BV (2.0)|| 123|
The Autocannon is a direct-fire ballistic weapon, firing HEAP (High-Explosive Armor-Piercing) rounds at targets either singly or in bursts.
Different manufacturers and models of autocannons have different calibers (25mm-203mm) and rates of fire. Due to this, autocannons are grouped into generic "classes" of autocannons with common damage ratings, with Autocannon/10s causing more damage than lower-caliber autocannons while retaining a moderate range.
An example of the rating system: the Crusher Super Heavy Cannon is a 150mm weapon firing ten shells per "shot", while the Chemjet Gun is a 185mm weapon firing much slower, but causing higher damage. Despite their differences, both are classified as Autocannon/20s due to their damage output.
The Terran Hegemony introduced a prototype AC/10 in 2445. It cost five times as much as a standard Autocannon/10, would jam like an Ultra Autocannon, and only carry 8 reloads per ton of ammunition.
An Autocannon/10 can use special munitions to increase its effectiveness.
The Autocannon/10 is manufactured on the following planets:
- Tech Manual, p. 341, "Inner Sphere Heavy Weapons And Equipment Table"
- TechManual, p. 317, "Inner Sphere Weapons and Equipment BV Table"
- TechManual, p. 207, "Autocannons"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4, p. 16
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 211, "T-12 Tiger Medium Tank"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 207-208, "TLS-1B Talos"