|Manufacturer||Kali Yama Weapons Industries,|
|Communications System||Irian Orator-5K|
|Targeting Tracking System||Wasat Aggressor Type 5|
|“||A poor man's Atlas||”|
The Orion was first built in 2456 as the ultimate BattleMech. The Orion is a dependable workhorse design that can handle almost any combat role, thanks to its mix of long- and short-range weaponry and its respectable 14 tons of armor. As BattleMech technology has improved, the Orion has been surpassed by other 'Mechs, but still finds itself utilized extensively on the modern battlefield, especially within the FWLM. The Orion has a maximum ground speed of 64.8 km/h, which is average for 'Mechs in the heavy weight class. Technicians love the Orion, because its spacious interior makes performing repairs and maintenance far easier than many other 'Mechs.
 Weapons and Equipment
The Orion has a varied weapons mix. The 'Mech's primary long-range weapon is a KaliYama Death Bloom LRM-15 launcher. For intermediate ranges, the Orion carries a KaliYama Class 10 Autocannon/10. Finally, for close-range combat, the Orion has an Irian Weapons Works Class 4 SRM-4 launcher and two Irian Weapons Works Medium Lasers.
- The M variant is an upgrade using Star League technology. The LRM-15 has been replaced with an LRM-20 launcher and the Autocannon/10 has been upgraded to an LB-X Autocannon/10. The SRM-4 and the Medium Lasers have been retained. A Narc Missile Beacon was also added to the 'Mech. BV (1.0) = 1,192, BV (2.0) = 1,414
- This is one of the many minor variants of the ON1-M model. The Narc Missile Beacon is removed. This allows a larger SRM-6 to replace the four pack. Both missile racks have Artemis IV Fire Control System increasing accuracy. Finally, medium pulse lasers are mounted in place of original mediums. BV (2.0) = 1,501
- A third minor variant of the ON1-M. The designers first removed both missile racks and Narc Missile Beacon. The LRM-20 location is then filled with a MRM-20. A larger MRM-30 is crammed in the torso where the SRM-4 formerly sat. Enough room is left to add a head-mounted C3 Slave unit. BV (2.0) = 1,501
- The 2M is another upgrade of the Orion using Star League technology. The 'Mech is built using an Endo Steel chassis and utilizes 10 double heat sinks to save weight and for their greater heat-dissipation ability. For long-range combat, the ON2-M is armed with a Gauss Rifle as well as an LRM-15 linked to an Artemis IV Fire Control System for increased accuracy. For closer ranges, the 'Mech has three Medium Pulse Lasers. The ON2-M is armored with twelve and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor. BV (1.0) = 1,633 (1,624), BV (2.0) = 1,828
- This variant is equipped with an experimental Extended LRM-10 and Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle. Three tons of ammunition feeds the LRM launcher while the iHGR gets four tons of ammunition. For close in work, this Orion variant has an ER Medium Laser in each arm. To provide room for these weapons, the 'Mech has an XL Engine, standard armor, and standard internal structure. BV (2.0) = 1,849
- Dual Cockpit refits: The Orion is one of the Free Worlds League's preferred 'Mechs on which to install Dual Cockpits. Standard refits usually install the Dual Cockpit on a ON1-V or ON1-M, requiring the removal one ton of SRM ammunition.
 Custom Variants
- ON1-K Kerensky
- The personal BattleMech of Star League Defense Force commanding general Aleksandr Kerensky during the war against the Usurper. Designers removed the LRM-20 and LB-X Autocannon/10 to make room for other equipment. The other equipment is a snub-nose PPC in the left torso and an Artemis IV Fire Control System for SRMs. The right torso has a Gauss Rifle in the former location of the LB-X Autocannon/10. The medium lasers from the original model are retained. Finally, ferro-fibrous armor is used for added protection. BV (2.0) = 1,821 This 'Mech is also known as the "ON1-Protector" in MechWarrior Online.
 Notable Pilots
- The Orion has long been favored as a command 'Mech, and was notably the preferred 'Mech of Aleksandr Kerensky. Centuries later, this same 'Mech was found and piloted by Theodore Kurita until its destruction on Marfik during the Fourth Succession War. Sometime after this, the cockpit from this same 'Mech was put on display at a museum on Solaris.
- Paula "Lady Death" Trevaline, famed pirate of the Periphery, piloted an Orion for much of her career. 
 Related BattleMechs
- Orion IIC - As the chosen 'Mech of the Clans' revered "Great Father", the Orion bordered on being a Totem 'Mech for Clan Wolf, who produced a IIC version of it. Jealously guarded by the Wolves, this design sports one Gauss Rifle, packed with one LRM-20, two ER Large Lasers and one SRM-4.
- Perseus - With a long history of production and deployment of the Orion, plus the 'Mech's noted spacious design, the Free Worlds League used the design as the basis of their first homegrown OmniMech.
 Design Quirks
Though most of the artwork shows that the SRM-4 of the standard variant is mounted in the Orion's left arm, according to the official record sheets and TRO: 3039 it is installed in the left torso. It is unclear if this is intentional or an error that never was fixed.
An Orion under attack by Elementals
- ↑ Era Digest: Age of War, p. 11
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 107
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 160
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Technical Readout: 3039, pp. 152-153
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Technical Readout: 3025, pp. 100-101
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Combat Operations, p. 130
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 83
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p.199
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p.200
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p.201
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p.202
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 161
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 162
- ↑ Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 130
- ↑ Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 132
- ↑ Experimental Technical Readout: Marik, p. 5
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 133
- ↑ Record Sheets: Prototypes, p. 73
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p.204
- ↑ Heir to the Dragon
- ↑ Solaris VII: The Game World
- ↑ Field Manual: Periphery p. 193
- Combat Operations
- Experimental Technical Readout: Marik
- Field Manual: Periphery
- Heir to the Dragon (novel)
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: Prototypes
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Solaris VII: The Game World
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: Prototypes