- Lead Developer Brent Evans Answers Big Questions On The Future Of BattleTech
- Was the Early Portrayal of the Capellan Confederation an Example of Yellow Peril?
- Mechwarrior Online World Championship Semi-Finals Seeding Games
- New Campaign Begins on MegaMekNET
- BATTLETECH Multiplayer Review - A Battle Of Titans
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Kali Yama Weapons Industries|
|Engine||Hermes 300 XL|
|Communications System||Irian Orator-5K|
|Targeting Tracking System||Wasat Aggressor Type 5 w/OmniLink|
|Heat Sinks||12 Double heat sinks|
The Perseus is the product of a program begun by the LCCC to create an OmniMech completely indigenous to the Free Worlds League from concept to production. The Perseus shares much with the venerable Orion, a staple of Free Worlds League Military, both broadly resembling the older design visually and using a number of the same components. This similarity prompted more than a few FWLM technicians to nickname the new design the "Omni-Orion" and the deployment of Perseus has largely been to front-line units that fielded large concentrations of its progenitor, replacing older Orions on a one-for-one basis.
While on paper the Perseus is a capable 'Mech with forty-tons of available pod space, the design has earned something of a lackluster reputation when compared to other modern OmniMechs such as the Templar or Hauptmann. This is largely due to the small size of it's weapon bays which limit the type of weaponry of the Perseus can mount, only the arms can carry larger autocannons and the hand and lower-arm actuators must be remove to be able do so, with a number of configurations also forced to mount weaponry in the 'Mech's legs. More critically the small size of the bays hampers the volume of extra double heat sinks that can be carried, consequently most of the Perseus's configurations utilize ballistic and missile weaponry over more heat-intensive energy loadouts.
Weapons and Equipment
Built on a lightweight Endo Steel chassis, the Perseus is powered by a Hermes 300 XL engine helping save even more weight and giving the 'Mech a top speed of 64.8 km/h. The advanced structure and engine save a great deal of weight for weapons and equipment. The Perseus is protected by fourteen tons of Valiant Lamellor armor, giving it around average armor protection for a 'Mech of its size. It also has twelve double heat sinks that are fixed on the chassis.
The primary configuration of the Perseus shares a great deal with the Orion. For long range direct and indirect fire support, the Perseus carries an LRM-20 with Artemis IV for increased missile accuracy. For long range direct fire, the Perseus carries a powerful Ultra Autocannon/10 that is capable of firing at twice the rate as a standard autocannon. The Perseus has a devastating short range arsenal with a highly accurate Medium Pulse Laser, four ER Medium Lasers , an ER Small Laser, and finally an SRM-4 launcher that is linked to an Artemis IV FCS. The primary configuration mounts two tons each of both Ultra Autocannon and LRM munitions as well as single ton of SRM reloads in CASE protected ammunition bays in both its side torsos.
- Alt. Config. A
- Configured for long range fire support, the A configuration carries a pair of LRM-20 launchers in its arm, both of which are linked to an Artemis IV FCS for increased accuracy. For close range defense, the 'Mech carries two Medium Pulse Lasers and has an SRM-6 launcher linked to an Artemis IV FCS. The 'Mech also has a leg-mounted TAG laser designator, allowing it to call in Semi-Guided LRM and Arrow IV attacks from friendly units and has an ECM Suite to defend itself from enemy electronic warfare systems. BV (1.0) = 1409, BV (2.0) = 1,661
- Alt. Config. B
- Capable of fighting at close and long ranges, the B configuration has a Gauss Rifle and ER Large Laser for long range combat, though only a single ton of reloads relegates the Gauss to use as a secondary rather than primary weapon. The Perseus B is also capable of handling close combat with two Large Pulse Lasers and has an Anti-Missile System to protect itself from missile attacks.  BV (1.0) = 1431, BV (2.0) = 1,776
- Alt. Config. C
- An all around configuration, the C is built to be capable of engaging an enemy at both long and short ranges. To do this, the Perseus C carries a Light Gauss Rifle, giving the 'Mech an extremely long reach. This is backed up by an Ultra Autocannon/10 capable of engaging the enemy as they close. For close combat, the Perseus C has three ER Medium Lasers, a Medium Pulse Laser, and a Streak SRM-2 launcher. Two tons of gauss reloads, three tons of Ultra autocannon ammunition and a ton of missile reloads give the design adequate field endurance. BV (1.0) = 1487, BV (2.0) = 1,644
- Alt. Config. D
- Configured specifically for close combat, the D configuration has an LRM-20 launcher with an Artemis IV FCS for increased accuracy as well as an LB-X Autocannon/10 for long range combat. For close ranges, the 'Mech has an SRM-6 launcher linked to an Artemis IV FCS, three ER Medium Lasers, and a ER Small Laser. The D also has an ECM suite to protect itself from enemy electronic warfare systems and a Beagle Active Probe that allows it to find hidden units in close combat situation. BV (1.0) = 1358, BV (2.0) = 1,714
- Alt. Config. E
- Apparently designed as a command vehicle, the Perseus E has three tons of Communications Equipment in the right torso. A Beagle Active Probe is available to find hidden units. Offensively, the E configuration carries a Gauss Rifle, Large Variable Speed Pulse Laser, Medium Variable Speed Pulse Laser, and ER Small Laser. An ER Medium Laser covers the rear. For last ditch defense, the E variant carries an Improved One-Shot SRM-6 in the center torso, and a pair of Vehicular Grenade Launchers in the left torso provide some anti-infantry capability. BV (2.0) = 1,658
- Alt. Config. W
- Apparently intended for Word of Blake use, this configuration mounts an Improved C3 Computer. It also has a trio of ER Medium Lasers and the left and right arms carry a Gauss Rifle and LB 20-X autocannon, respectively. Interestingly neither side torso mounts CASE to protect from ammunition or weapon explosions. BV (2.0) = 1,864
- MUL online date for the Perseus
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 88-89 "Inner Sphere BattleMechs - P1 Perseus"
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 140
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, pp. 141-142 "Rules - P1 Perseus"
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 141
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 142
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 143
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 144
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 145
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 146
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 147