|Manufacturer||Victory Conditions Industries and Eris Enterprises Design Group|
|Chassis||Triumph Dynamic Endo Steel|
|Engine||Victory 240 XL|
|Communications System||Angst Clear Channel 5|
|Targeting Tracking System||O/P TA1240 with Light Active Probe|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
|Jump Jets||VC Dynamo|
Produced jointly by Victory Conditions Industries and Eris Enterprises, the Jackalope represented a leap forward in anti-missile and recon technology. Designed to serve in recon and pursuit lances, this compact and swift BattleMech was used to full effect in combat. It has also served as a training 'Mech and as an arena combat 'Mech. The 'Mech gets its name from a mythical animal which was said to have existed on Terra's North American continent.
The design's initial sales were not strong and it proved nearly as elusive as its namesake. However, since Gray Monday, the design became popular amongst Inner Sphere powers including the Republic of the Sphere, Mercenaries, Solaris VII and nations within Free Worlds League space. One of the 'Mech production facilities, Eris Enterprises of Capolla, would be lost to the Inner Sphere for a time after walls of the Republic's Fortress rose in 3135 blocking access. This left its entire output secretly funneled to rebuild the Republic's armies. Victory Conditions’ production site on Mizar would have its sales regulated by the Galatean Defense League, which continued to sell the 'Mech to various parties by 3145.
One of the design's noted uses was in 3144, piloted by Captain Gloria Hansen. Captain Hansen, a former Knight of the Sphere, led her unit against a Clan Wolf raiding party on Chertan. After leading her company to victory over the attacking Wolves for control of her unit's DropShips, she fought a Trial of Grievance against the commander of the Wolf Guards Binary. Using her Jackalope's speed to close the distance with her opponent, she used its superior short-range firepower to destroy the Star Captain's 'Mech.
The Jackalope was the subject of a "Tech Watch" report on LinkNet in February 3136, showcasing the 'Mech and providing quotes from the manufacturers. The Jackalope described by Tech Watch was designated the JLP-KA-L, but the described technical elements of the JLP-KA-L - a 240 XL Victory fusion engine, eight Dynamo jump jets, two Conquest Extended Range Medium Lasers, an ATM-6 missile system and a Clean Sweep anti-missile system backed up by an advanced probe system and 81% armour coverage - match the main JLP-BD variant. Tech Watch credited the Eris Enterprises design group with the design of the Jackalope's legs, stating that it was designed specifically with DropShip transport in mind, and that the design of the legs allows the Jackalope to fold itself into a compact bundle, allowing for additional supplies to be packed into the DropShip as a result. Tech Watch also described additional variants of the Jackalope in passing as sacrificing armour to gain even greater speed than the original variant, presumably referring to the JLP-KA model.
Weapons and Equipment
The Jackalope can be considered unique, which it owes to its compact and narrow chassis which allows for an absurd number of them to be loaded into DropShips for deployment. Its jump jets allow it to deploy rapidly and quickly get to wherever it needs to go on the battlefield. In addition, the eight jump jets allow the Jackalope to make 240 meter long jumps. A 240-rated XL engine provides ample power to this small 'Mech, propelling it at speeds of up to 129 kph, as well as powering its weaponry. This speed gives it an additional degree of protection beyond its 6.5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor and its Clean-Sweep Laser-based Anti-Missile System. Its key component is its Clan designed Light Active Probe, making it a valuable scout while leaving enough room for additional equipment.
The 'Mech's principal weaponry includes two Clan tech Conquest Extended Range Medium Lasers, which are located in its stubby but flexible short arms. Additionally a 6-tubed ATM launcher mounted in the right torso provides the Jackalope added punch at all ranges. However the design only has room for one ton of ammunition, cutting down its endurance in longer campaigns and reducing the pilot to reliance on the lasers.
- A Mixed tech version of the standard Jackalope, the C is designed to serve as lancemate for a C3 Lance. Fitted with an Inner Sphere produced C3 Slave Computer, this variant becomes an excellent spotter for its lance. The design drops the ATM-6 for a Clan produced 6-tubed Short-Ranged Missile Launcher with two tons of ammunition. BV(2.0)=1,253
- Faster than the original BD, a new engine powers it to 129 kph, making it faster than the standard version and other variants before it. However, half its Jump Jets are removed from the design. While retaining all the other features of the standard model, the KA's ATM ammunition is given added protection with CASE II. BV(2.0)=1,488
- This variant, also known as the "Wolpertinger" is a Mixed Tech version of the Jackalope's KA variant. Built with the mostly Clan technology, the Mech retains the KA's fragile but powerful XXL Fusion Engine and it also gains additional jump capacity with the inclusion of a Partial Wing and 5 Improved Jump Jets. While retaining the KA's Clan ER Medium Lasers in the arms, a standard 4-tubed SRM Launcher is added to the right torso, with its ammo in the left with CASE II protection. The only Inner Sphere technology found in the machine is its Extra-Light Gyro. BV(2.0)=1,334
- Gloria Hansen. A Captain in the forces of the Republic Remnant in 3145, her bravery and skills saved her company from elements of Clan Wolf. She was left distraught by the Republic's abandonment of the rest of the nation and she renounced her Knighthood but remained loyal to the citizens of the Republic Remnant. Her victory on Chertan would boost the morale of the tiny fragment of Republic of the Sphere.
The Jackalope was originally conceived by Wizkids for its MechWarrior Dark Age Collectable Miniatures game as a part of its Dominion expansion set. The figure would be used as both as a general and unique 'Mech in the CGC game. The Jackalope would later adapted by Catalyst Game Labs and redefined in the tabletop game once the company advanced the franchise's timeline to 3145.
The 'Mech would also be featured in the non-canon short-film/trailer Produced by DAVE's School's MechWarrior: Age of Destruction video. The film was never completed officially, but it showcases the 'Mech and its unique size/compactness, which would later be translated as a design quirk.
The Jackalope is subjected to the following Design Quirks:
- MUL online date for the Jackalope
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, pp.29 & 97 Jackalope - BV2
- Era Report: 3145, p. 19 Timeline - RoTS Exarch Levin announces and implements Fortress Republic in 3135.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, pp.28 Jackalope - Background.
- Dark Age: LinkNet Articles (3136), p. 13, "TECH WATCH: Victory Conditions Industries and Eris Enterprises Team Up"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, pp.28-29 & 97 Jackalope - Stats
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, pp. 28 & 98 Jackalope - Variant JLP-C information.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, pp. 28 & 100 Jackalope - Variant JLP-KA information.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, pp. 28 & 100 Jackalope - Variant JL-KW information.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, pp. 28 Jackalope - Notable pilots information.