New St. Andrews
(References to New St. Andrews)
|New St. Andrews|
New St. Andrews neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-512.631 : -107.952[e]|
|Recharge time||175 hours|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
|New St. Andrews|
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard Breathable|
|Equatorial temperature||25°C (Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Mammal|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3079|
|Ruler||Various Clan Chieftains|
|Population|| 212,000 (3025)|
- 2596 - No record 
- 2750 - No record 
- 2764 - No record 
- 2765 - No record 
- 2822 - No record 
- 3025 - Independent world 
- 3040 - Independent world 
- 3050 - Independent world 
- 3052 - Independent world 
- 3057 - Independent world 
- 3059 - Independent world 
- 3063 - Independent world 
- 3079 - Independent world 
- 3081 - Independent world 
- 3085 - Independent world 
- 3130 - Independent world 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3145 - Independent world 
In 2293, the Stewart Confederacy, a six-world state, was annexed by the Free Worlds League. Rather than pay fealty to the Free Worlds League, the Brannigan, MacGregor, Sterling and Stewart clans decided to leave League space in 2294, avoiding the destruction of Stewart. The clans resettled on the worlds of York and Lancaster. Shortly thereafter, these Scots and Scots-Irish clans were forced to move again, this time because of annexation by the Protectorate of Donegal. The clans moved to the remote world of Loxley, but again were displaced - this time because Archon Robert Marsden of the Lyran Commonwealth decided to annex the pastoral world. The clans made what they believed was their last exodus, settling Somerset within the Rim Worlds Republic. The clans resided on Somerset for nearly 400 years. At the outset of the Amaris Civil War, all four clans realized the Rim Worlds Republic would be destroyed by Aleksandr Kerensky and the SLDF, so the clans relocated to the remote world of New St. Andrews in the late 28th century.
As the clans were refugees forced to flee quickly from their homes, the settlers of New St. Andrews possessed precious little technology. The clans decided to establish an agrarian society on part of the northern continent, practicing subsistence farming, including equine and ovine husbandry. As each clan grew, border disputes between clans and quarrels over land and water became more common. Society appeared to be heading for "barbarism".
Before open warfare could begin on New St. Andrews, exploratory vessels from Periphery neighbors discovered the clan settlements on New St. Andrews. Pirate raids and the attention of Periphery neighbors convinced the Stewart and MacGregor clans to end the hostilities. The two clans then crossed the continental divide, traveling to the other side of the northern continent. Separated from the now-warring Sterling and Brannigan clans, the MacGregors and Stewarts established a single settlement and prepared for eventual raids by the other clans. As the MacGregor/Stewart settlement became stable and profited, the Sterling and Brannigan clans crossed the continental divide and began scorched-earth raiding. The MacGregor/Stewart alliance was able to fend off the raiders, and both clans have endeavored to "rehabilitate" their erstwhile friends ever since.
Clan Invasion Era & The Jihad
New St. Andrews was the target of occasional raiding expeditions mounted by its neighbours and by various groups of pirates, some of which were intended to determine whether there were readily accessible mineral resources on the planet worthy of exploitation. In 3058 one of those raids uncovered valuable rare minerals, and by 3059 a mining operation had been established to extract those minerals.
The construction and ongoing presence of this mining operation convinced the MacGreggor clan that it would be impossible to have peace on New St. Andrews unless the clans were able to defend themselves against hostile outside interests. This led to the various clans making efforts to both eject the illegal mining operation and to recruit the appropriate talented people from the Inner Sphere to help provide New St. Andrews with an organic defense industry. Both of these milestones were acheived in 3060 when the mining operation was shut down and the manufacturing company Meridian Manufacturing was officially founded.
Prior to the establishment of Meridian Manufacturing the defense industry on New St. Andrews had been limited to producing copies of the Scorpion light tank and Vedette medium tank, although it had proven impossible to replicate the modern weapons on the two designs, limiting those vehicles produced on New St. Andrews to ancient, pre-Age of War designs such as the Machine Gun and Heavy Rifle. With the founding of Meridian Manufacturing New St. Andrews began to take steps towards the manufacture of BattleMechs for the first time. The development programme was bedevilled with the same problem, however - Meridian couldn't replicate a basic autocannon, leading to the first 'Mech to be produced on New St. Andrews, the armed IndustrialMech known as the ARB-100 Arbiter, being armed with the same primitive weaponry. This factory wasn't affected by the Jihad.
Despite the limitations of the Arbiter it proved to be remarkably successful in generating off-world sales, in part because of its ferocious appearance, and New St. Andrews soon had orders pouring in from neighbouring worlds and the mercenary market due to its low price. Despite the unexpected success, a steady stream of hostile raids against New St. Andrews that specifically targeted the Meridian Manufacturing plant hampered efforts to enter full production, and as a consequence full production wasn't reached until 3074, fourteen years after the founding of the company.
The Dark Age
In 3081 it was reported that Meridian Manufacturing, the corporation located on New St. Andrews and which was responsible for the development of the Arbiter IndustrialMech, had begun to not only produce a new variant of the Arbiter but had also purchased the required licenses to manufacture Stinger and Wasp BattleMechs. Whether these 'Mechs will feature RetroTech technology or modern technology remains to be seen.
The destruction of the Circinus Federation caused severe problems for the residents of New St. Andrews. Raids by pirates increased in the 3090s until New St. Andrews was being raided twice a month - an uptick in violence that ultimately forced the four clans to begin working together, unifying them... to a certain extent. In 3102 the last of the four clans had elected representatives; Lester Macgregor was appointed as tiebreaker and awarded the title of Lord. MacGregor managed to maintain peace between the various clans by ensuring that the title of Lord passed through each clan, with each appointment lasting five years; he also insisted on having a member of Meridian Manufacturing serve as an advisor to the council meetings.
One of the changes made with the increased stability amongst the clans was the organization of a unified clan militia, one that helped to reinforce Nelson's Longbows, reducing both the success and frequency of the pirate raids plaguing the planet. The improved stability also attracted investment from outside nations; one such investor was the archaelogical exploration company Interstellar Expeditions, who opened a large warehouse facility to support their explorations into the anti-spinward regions of the Deep Periphery.
As New St. Andrews prospered, so did Meridian Manufacturing; the recipient of a growing number of concessions from the local government - including tax breaks - by the mid-thirty-second century Meridian was the largest single employer on New St. Andrews and had expanded it's manufacturing lines to support the local militia. Meridian also acted as the closest New St. Andrews could count to a military academy, running an Infantry Education Programme.
- - At this point in time the unit operating at 80% of full strength.
- The Cavern of the Skull, old SLDF base.
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p. 137, "New St. Andrews"
- Objectives: Periphery, p. 29, "New St. Andrews"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 35, "Magistracy Armed Forces Deployment Map - "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p. vii, "Maps of the Periphery - "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 110, "Rim Collection & Circinus Federation Region Map - "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: Periphery, p. 23, "Marian Hegemony Region Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p. 137, "New St. Andrews"
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, pp. 76-77, "New St. Andrews"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding "
- Technical Readout: Prototypes", p. 100, "ARB-001 Arbiter SecurityMech"
- Objectives: Periphery, p. 28
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 117, "Lesser Periphery States"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 187, "New St. Andrews"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 190, "New St. Andrews"
- Field Manual: Periphery, pa. 128, Nelson's Longbows
- Field Manual: Updates, pa. 204, Nelson's Longbows
- Field Report: Periphery, pa. 16, Nelson's Longbows
- Field Manual: 3085, pa. 152, New St. Andrews
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 203, "Lesser Periphery States"
- Star Lord, p .39
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: Periphery
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Objectives: Periphery
- Star Lord (novel)
- Technical Readout: Prototypes
- The Periphery (sourcebook)
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition