|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
The Night Stalkers were formed in 3020 by Tai-sa Lloyd McGavin after he was forced to retire from the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery. He went to private concerns and raised money to form two regiments, McGavin's Regiment and Johiro's Regiment. He filled the units with retired MechWarriors like himself and failed MechWarrior graduates.
The unit became known for its raiding tactics, utilizing Light BattleMechs. However, due to the colonel's affection for his men, he would not use risky tactics which he believed couldn't work. This upset a number of officers and the Coordinator, who split the brigade's two regiments from each other. Also, the Coordinator made sure only limited supplies would be sent to the two units as part of their punishment for disobeying orders.
Clan Invasion, Jihad, and Annihilation
Unlike his father, Theodore Kurita respected the Night Stalkers' philosophy of refusing to sacrifice itself blindly or stupidly and when confronted by the desperate need to rebuild the DCMS from the losses suffered during the initial Clan Invasion, Theodore authorized the creation of the new Third Night Stalkers.
The Word of Blake Jihad would prove to be the final deathknell of the Night Stalkers, with the Second and Third both shattered after taking heavy losses against the Blakists. While the Third's survivors would receive the honor of postings to the Otomo after spending years in Blakist re-education camps, the Second's survivors chose to join the Kokuryu-kai and were subsequently destroyed by the Ryuken-roku.
Units of the Night Stalkers
- 1st Night Stalkers - (Destroyed in the Fourth Succession War)
- 2nd Night Stalkers - (Destroyed in the Jihad)
- 3rd Night Stalkers - (Destroyed in the Jihad)
Color Scheme and Insignia
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 149 - "Night Stalker" brigade profile - Colonel won't risk his men doing stupid tactics and units are punished for it
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine, p. 106, "Third Night Stalkers"
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 18