- Did You Know? - Fan made TRO 3028 is better than the originals!
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Read more →
|Ontos Heavy Tank|
|Manufacturer||Grumman Amalgamated, Kallon Industries|
|Engine||285 HeavyLoad with PowerBoost ICE|
|Communications System||Easy Talk|
|Targeting Tracking System||GuideRite w/Laser Coordination Link|
The vehicle that would eventually be called the Ontos started out as the first of three prototypes created by Grumman Amalgamated designers. While all three performed adequately, the Ontos was chosen due to to the fact that its main armament never needed to be reloaded in a protracted engagement. It is rumored that the designer for the Ontos was inspired by an ancient and obscure Terran vehicle that shared the same name.
The Ontos has proven popular throughout the Inner Sphere, especially so in the Free Worlds League where it is a mainstay in House Marik heavy tank units. It is often used as an ambush unit due to its short range and slow speed.
Earlier versions of the Ontos had problems with overheating that could burn out the power amplifiers. This issue was later corrected by forcing the lasers to fire in sequence rather than all at once.
Weapons and Equipment
The Ontos is armed with an array of eight Martell Model 5 Medium Lasers. This requires the Ontos to carry over 24 tons of power amplifiers and heat sinks, however the primarily energy weapon based armament means it can continue to fight on when supplies run short. Two Longfire LRM-5 missile racks provide covering fire for use when the Ontos is required to assault or move to a new position.
- 3058 Upgrade
- The influx of rediscovered technology allowed Grumman to replace the ICE with a new 285 GM Cold-Start Fusion engine, which removed the need for power amplifiers and increased available space. While four of the original medium lasers were retained, the remainder were replaced with a trio of Intek Medium Pulse Lasers. The twin LRM-5 racks were replaced by a single Delta Dart LRM-15 which utilized an Artemis IV tracking system. An additional SRM-4 and SRM-6 missile rack, both mounting Artemis IV, were also added to further increase the Ontos' short range firepower. Protection was not ignored, with the new Ontos incorporating a CASE system, and mounting over nine tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 1,242
- Produced by Quickscell Company. The Ontos HEAT (Hostile Environment Assault Tank) uses a Combat Vehicle Escape Pod to protect the crew in the event of a catastrophic failure. To provide protection from hostile environments, the entire Ontos is enclosed with Environmental Sealing. Equipped with an ER Large Laser and Enhanced LRM-15 for long range fire, it also mounts three Medium Lasers to fight at close range. Ten tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor protects against weapon fire. BV (2.0) = 1,173
- Ontos X All-Aspect Assault Tank
- Equipped with several experimental systems the Ontos X AAAT was undergoing testing for the LAAF on the world of Despair when it was seized by Captain Theobald West and his crew. Sealed against vacuum conditions and equipped with a Combat Vehicle Escape Pod, West and his crew used the NLRM-10 and eight Medium Lasers of the Ontos X to destroy all the vacuum-capable vehicles held by the garrison. They then ransomed several high ranking scientists back to the LAAF and disappeared. BV (2.0) = 962
- MUL online date for the Ontos
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 151
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 191
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 53
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 54
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 63
- Experimental Technical Readout: Pirates, p. 11
- Master Unit List.pdf
- Technical Readout: 3026
- Technical Readout: 3026 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Experimental Technical Readout: Pirates
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Technical Readout: Prototypes