|SM1 Tank Destroyer|
|Manufacturer||Luthien Armor Works|
|Mission||Striker/ Close Range/ Urban Combat|
|Armor||Advanced Compound Beta|
|Communications System||Unit 2J2 "Basher"|
|Targeting Tracking System||Able-Seven Sensor Suite|
The SM1 Tank Destroyer was designed as a speedy infighter by scientists from Clan Nova Cat. The machine is a cheap and effective combat vehicle. The vehicle has unique "glass" dual cockpits on the front of the vehicle that are functionally identical while mounting a smaller anti-infantry turret just behind its left side cockpit. The vehicle's unique split cockpit design allows the cockpit modules to eject from the vehicle. Due to its appearance, the SM1 was dubbed the "Suicide Machine" by its first pilots because they felt over-exposed with the tank's all ferro-glass cockpit.
Following their integration with the Draconis Combine in 3060, Clan Nova Cat found its advanced manufacturing capacities lacking due to the harsh realities of living in the Inner Sphere. Thus the Clan decided to begin to embrace the Inner Sphere's combined-arms doctrine of combat.
Working with Luthien Armor Works, as it did with the Shoden project at LAW's defunct facilities on Irece, this facility began to produce the SM1 Tank Destroyer in 3065. Clan Nova Cat provided the advanced technology from their own factories after upgrading LAW's facilities on Irece. The deal with LAW gave the Clan shares in the manufacturing plant itself, and purchasing rights for the SM1's first five years of production.
The vehicle was accepted by Nova Cat Galaxies after the performance of volunteer crews. After the vehicles were first introduced, several appeared in the ranks of the Draconis Combine's local Ryuken regiment, which they have apparently won through trials.
Weapons and Equipment
The SM1 mounts a deadly Type 10 Ultra Autocannon/20 fixed in its nose. The gun has over six tons of ammunition. The tank also mounts four Series 2C Light Machine Guns in its small turret for anti-infantry work.
- This variant swaps out the Ultra AC for an LB-X Autocannon/20 with five tons of ammunition. The weight saved goes towards a Light Active Probe, and a Light Machine Gun Array to guide its 4 light machine guns. The vehicle became available during the FedCom Civil War. = BV (2.0) = 1,214, 1,239
- SM1 Telos
- Originally developed by Clan Nova Cat, the DCMS took over development of this model. All the weapons and armor have been removed, and replaced with Vehicular Stealth Armor. The main weaponry was replaced with a single Extended LRM-15 launcher and five tons of ammunition. A single Machine Gun and half ton of ammunition complete the weapons loadout. A Guardian ECM Suite is used to power the stealth armor. The ammo is stored in a CASE protected bay.
- A Clan Nova Cat SM1 engaged a Word of Blake Deva on 21 August 3072, in the Nagasaki community zone of the Crane district on Luthien, before being incapacitated and its crew executed by the MechWarrior.
- MUL online date for the SM1
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I, p. 24
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 131
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 248
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 130
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, p. 134-135
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 104
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 249
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 105
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 250
- Experimental Technical Readout: Phantoms, p. 9
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 1, "Manifest Destiny"
- A Bonfire of Worlds, p. 134
- A Bonfire of Worlds
- Experimental Technical Readout: Phantoms
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien
- Dossier of Mikel Nova Cat
- Record Sheets: 3075
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I
- Technical Readout: 3075