|Manufacturer||Ford Military Limited|
|Chassis||Chariot Type II Endo Steel|
|Communications System||Opus I Ultrabeam|
|Targeting Tracking System||Orion 80|
The Thorn is a light BattleMech that was designed for frontline use. When the 'Mech first debuted for the Hegemony Armed Forces in the 25th Century, it was with a great deal of hype that unfortunately the 'Mech could never truly live up to. Critics who look at the 'Mech generally see it in one of two ways. As a light 'Mech that is not fast enough for its own good or a light 'Mech that tries to do a job that only a heavier 'Mech should.
Looking at the Thorn with neither bias, it is easy to see where these two viewpoints come from. As far as being able to intercept or hunt down recon 'Mechs of its era it is far too slow, and as far as front line combat the Thorn does not have the armor or staying power of most front line machines. The only real unique and advanced aspect of the Thorn is that it was the first 'Mech to utilize an Endo Steel chassis and CASE, which paved the way for much heavier 'Mechs in later eras to utilize the technology and make themselves far deadlier with a greater degree of survivability.
The Thorn carries a weapons array that is not usually seen on light 'Mechs: the Zeus-5 LRM launcher, paired with two Hellion Spitfire Medium Lasers. The reason for this is that these weapons allow the Thorn some flexibility on the battlefield; flexibility it needs with its slow speed and its lackluster armor. Because of this, the Thorn is best suited for use as a light fire support unit for recon lances. On the plus side, the Zeus-5 can be easily replaced in a matter of hours. This is a fortunate feature for when it engages in hand-to-hand combat.
- The advanced model employed by the Star League Defense Force Royal Divisions changed the role of the 'Mech from a missile to an energy boat, replacing the LRM launcher with an ER Large Laser, retaining one Medium Laser and downgrading the other to a Small Laser. Dropping the no longer required CASE, the 'Mech also used a MASC system for temporary speed bursts and Double Heat Sinks to vent its increased waste heat output. The THE-Nb mounted an XL Engine to save the weight to mount this extra equipment, at the cost of reduced survivability.  BV (2.0) = 770
- Developed on the orders of Precentor Martial Anastasius Focht to try and close the gap between the Clans and Com Guards, the factory refit THE-N1 received its baptism of fire during the Battle of Tukayyid. Having reached a similar conclusion that resulted in the THE-Nb, the CASE was dropped and the standard engine was swapped for an XL Engine to allow the standard weaponry to be stripped for an all energy weapon array, a right arm mounted Kinslaughter H-class ER PPC and a head-mounted Intek Small Laser. This new weapons array, enhanced by Double Heat Sinks, added a level of lethality never seen before on the Thorn.  BV (1.0) = 595, BV (2.0) = 656
- A new production variant of the THE-N1 developed by the Word of Blake, the THE-N2 took its cues from both the THE-N and THE-T variants, swapping the ER-PPC with an MML 7 and the standard Small for a Diverse Optics ER Small Laser. A two-ton CASE protected ammo bay allowed the THE-N2 to carry both LRM and SRM munitions to make best use of the Multi-Missile Launcher.  BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 410
- Supplied by ComStar to the Draconis Combine as part of Operation Rosebud, the THE-S was a downgraded factory refit of the THE-N. Stripping out the advanced Endo Steel chassis and CASE, the use of a heavier standard chassis forced a reduction the Thorns already meager armor protection by half a ton. The communications system was changed to an Olmstead 30.  BV (1.0) = 445, BV (2.0) = 510
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3039, pp. 240-241
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 186-187 "Thorn 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 129
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 224
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 18-19, "Thorn 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 52-53, "Thorn 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ Historical: Operation Klondike, p. 159 "SLDF Royal Units - THE-Nb Thorn"
- ↑ Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 21
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 135
- ↑ Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 35
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 225
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 226
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Technical Readout: 3039, p. 240 "THE-S Thorn"
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 137
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 63
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 64