- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Meet the competitive leagues of MechWarrior Online
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Grumium Creations |
|Chassis||GC Type 2C Endo Steel|
|Armor||GC Hardened Slab with CASE II|
|Communications System||GC Wave 12B|
|Targeting Tracking System||GC MultiTrac System Type 6 w/Artemis V|
|Heat Sinks||11 Double Heat Sinks|
The Viking IIC is an advanced Clan tech Assault 'Mech originally produced by Grumium Creations within the Rasalhague Dominion. Based on the old ComStar & Free Rasalhague Republic design, the Viking IIC started as part of Grumium's last attempt to retool the design in an effort to avoid closure. The designed originally started as a refit of the existing Viking mechs available to the company, and later those in Clan Ghost Bear's touman. Using advanced Clan technology, Grumium Creations added new equipment and enhancements to better the 'Mech's chances of survival on the battlefield. However, it remained stuck in the Fire-Support role. As part of the effort to keep the design alive, Grumium licensed the Viking IIC to Arc-Royal MechWorks of Arc-Royal. The Viking IIC would prove to be good 'Mech, despite its low speed. However, it would have limited endurance on the battlefield due to its dependence on the roughly 8 tons of missile ammunition it carries.
Efforts to save the company from closure were for naught, with the Viking IIC being the last product. However, the Viking IIC continued be produced by Arc-Royal, entering service with the Lyran Commonwealth as well as in limited numbers with the Republic of the Sphere and Clan Wolf-in-Exile.
Weapons and Equipment
A much tougher BattleMech than its predecessor, the Viking IIC is protected by a massive 31 tons of GC Hardened Slab Armor. This is a dense and tough hardened armor, which while providing considerable protection in combat also slows the 'Mech down. Its lack of speed would make the Viking IIC unpopular with Clan warriors, who prefer swifter machines in combat. The foundation of toughness is also found in its GC Type 2C Endo Steel skeleton and a General Motors 270-Rated Fusion Engine.
The 'Mech's armaments remain similar to that of the original Viking, consisting principally of far-reaching clusters of Long-Ranged Missile launchers. However, unlike its predecessor, these weapons enjoy having no minimum range limitations, giving a rude shock to those unaware of this feature. The main launchers are a pair of LRM-20s mounted in the mech's arms. Its secondary 15-tubed missile launchers are split and mounted in each of the Mech's side torsos, along with a single ER Micro Laser. Like its originator, the Viking IIC mounts Machine Guns in each of its legs. All of its missile launchers are guided by advanced Artemis V Fire-Control systems which are mounted in each location where the launchers are found. The 'Mech's ammunition bins are all housed in the side torsos, with CASE II fitted to allow the design to survive ammunition explosions and retain the uses of its minimal sized arms.
- Viking - The original version of the Viking IIC, originally employed by ComStar and the Free Rasalhague Republic.
The Viking IIC is subject to the following Design Quirks:
- MUL online date for the Viking IIC
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, pp. 44-45, 104 Viking IIC - BV2
- Viking IIC's MUL Profile which includes BV2 & Introduction Year.
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 318
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, pp. 44-45, 104 Viking IIC - Background
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, pp. 44-45, 104 Viking IIC - Stats