- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Roche QuadPlex Alpha|
|Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Coriolis Class VI Endo Steel QuadFrame|
|Armor||Forging SA722 with CASE|
|Engine||Fusion 260 Standard|
|Communications System||JNE Integrated|
|Targeting Tracking System||TRTTS Mark II|
The Fire Scorpion is a quadrupedal BattleMech designed by Clan Goliath Scorpion scientists to be a totem 'Mech. An earlier model was created in 2834. It is visually similar to a scorpion, complete with a "tail" rising up from the rear of the BattleMech. Those same scientists apparently believed in a quantity over quality approach, as the Fire Scorpion is cheap and primarily fielded by second-line forces that defend cities. The limited flexibility of the design is due partly to its slow speed, partly its lack of maneuverability-enhancing jump jets, and partly because of its ammunition-dependent weaponry. To counter these flaws, the Fire Scorpion makes use of a staggering fourteen tons of armor and almost a tenth of its mass in ammunition. Ten single heat sinks keep costs low and heat down.
Weapons and Equipment
As a quad design, the Fire Scorpion lacks the amount of internal space that bipedal designs have, so its creators opted for two heavy guns; a Type KOV LB 10-X Autocannon and an Irrlicht Gamma Series Ultra Autocannon/10. Each of these is fed by three tons of ammunition, giving the quad 'Mech enough shots to finish most Trials. To defend against unarmored infantry, the Fire Scorpion carries an Anti-Personnel Pod in each leg.
- Fire Scorpion 2
- The Fire Scorpion 2, which was introduced 3060, removes the weaponry of the base chassis and replaces it with a massive Ultra Autocannon/20, two LRM-10s, and five Machine Guns. This variants continues to excel in urban combat, especially against conventional infantry thanks to its anti-personnel Machine Guns. The inclusion of an Active Probe helps the MechWarrior locate hidden enemies. As with the base variant, ample ammunition ensures that the Fire Scorpion 2 rarely has to withdraw from a battlefield because of reduced ammo stores. BV (1.0) = 1,341, (1,340), BV (2.0) = 1,749
- Fire Scorpion 3
- This Jihad variant of the Fire Scorpion, introduced 3071, has dropped equipment in favor of adding Jump Jets to the 'Mech. Designed for the role of close-quarters fighting and urban combat, this variant drops its LRM Launchers & A-Pods. In its place the 'Mech has been fitted with four torso mounted AP Gauss Rifles with 2 tons of ammunition. A single Jump Jet has been added in each of the 'Mech's leg actuators. BV (2.0) = 1,904
In German products the unit's proper name was perfectly translated to Feuerskorpion.
Original Fire Scorpion from TRO:3060
- MUL online date for the Fire Scorpion
- Combat Operations, p. 114
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 170
- Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 168-169, "Fire Scorpion 'Mech Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 252
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 171
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 253
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged p. 254 - Jihad era variant of the Fire Scorpion.