|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Communications System||Dalban Micronics|
|Targeting Tracking System||Matabushi Sentinel|
|Heat Sinks||12 double|
|Jump Jets||Anderson 398|
The designers at Kallon Industries used the Black Hawk Clan OmniMech as the basis for the Penetrator. The Penetrator has an all energy weapons arsenal and uses twelve double heat sinks to handle the massive heat load from its weapons. The 'Mech is lacking in speed though when compared to the Black Hawk. This is because the 'Mechs designers used a Vlar 300 fusion engine for its combat durability, giving the 'Mech a top speed of 64.8 km/h. To help offset the 'Mech's lack of mobility, the Penetrator has four Anderson 398 jump jets giving it added mobility with a jumping distance of one hundred and twenty meters. The Penetrator also carries a respectable thirteen tons of armor. The 'Mech's heavy armor protection, combined with its standard engine and unlimited amounts of ammunition, make for a 'Mech that is very rugged and hard to kill. The first Penetrators started coming off the production line in 3053.
Weapons and Equipment
The Penetrator carries a blistering laser array. The primary weapons are a pair of arm mounted Diverse Optics Sunbeam ER Large Lasers for long range firepower. For close range combat, the 'Mech carries six Sutel Precision Line Medium Pulse Lasers which are mounted in its right and left torsos. Finally, the 'Mech carries its only ammunition-based weapon, a Yori Flyswatter anti-missile system, for added defense against missile attacks.
- Intended to act as a fire support 'Mech, The PTR-4F Penetrator sacrifices two of its Medium Pulse Lasers and the ER Large Lasers, freeing enough tonnage to add two LRM-10 missile launchers. The LRM-10s were then mated to Artemis IV fire control systems for added accuracy. BV (1.0) = 1,384, (1,401), BV (2.0) = 1,564
- The 6T variant of the Penetrator is a field modification that replaces the six Medium Pulse Lasers with six ER Medium Lasers. The 'Mech then adds an advanced Targeting Computer, making its ER Large Lasers more accurate and making the ER Medium Lasers similar in accuracy to the Medium Pulse Lasers at longer ranges. The 'Mech has also had two additional double heat sinks added to help with the increased heat output. BV (1.0) = 1,643, BV (2.0) = 1,994
- A version that started as a refit of the original models but became a mass-produced unit to restock the depleted AFFS, the 8D tries to fix some of the issues the original model has with more modern technology, like reflective armor. First and foremost, the 8D replaces the arm-cannons with a pair of Large Re-Engineered Laser to capitalize on fighting modern armor types. Each side torso mounts 3 standard medium lasers to complement the firepower from the arm weapons. To protect the machine, a Laser AMS in the center torso covers the 'mech from missile attacks. BV (1.0) = ???? BV (2.0) = 2130 
- The Penetrator became the trademark 'Mech of AFFC officer Archer Christifori, who piloted one through the FedCom Civil War and Operation BULLDOG. Originally a stock example, Christifori's 'Mech was eventually upgraded with salvaged Clan-tech ER Large Lasers.
- During the Jade Falcon Incursion of 3058, Hauptmann Caradoc Trevena commandeered the Penetrator of his superior, who had retreated into alcoholism in the face of the Jade Falcon onslaught on Coventry. He was declared Acting Kommandant of the unit and made good use of his commandeered 'Mech during his campaign of hit-and-fade skirmishes against the Falcons.
- Marcus Coralie Pieters, deputy commander of the Fifth Syrtis Fusiliers LCT's 'Mech battalion piloted a Penetrator. The exact spec is unknown.
- Author Blaine Lee Pardoe stated in a blog entry that, according to his memory which he admitted could be wrong, the Penetrator was among the BattleMechs which he designed and for which he wrote the original background as initially published in TRO:3055.
- In German products, the unit's proper name was changed to Lichtbringer, which translates to Light-Bringer. The model code was accordingly changed to LTB-4D. First german name was Zermalmer, which translates to crusher. (first print from 1994)
Original Penetrator from TRO:3055
Penetrator from TRO:3055 Upgrade
Penetrator from RG:ilClan vol. 27
PTR-4D Penetrator in motion from CCG
Penetrator miniature from Hansen's Roughriders Battle Lance
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, pp. 168–169: "PTR-4D Penetrator"
- MUL online date for the Penetrator
- Combat Operations, p. 127
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 97
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 193
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 98
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 194
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 99
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 195
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 100
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 101
- Technical Readout: 3150, p. 223
- Record Sheets: 3150
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 27, p.13
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, p. 168 "PTR-4D PENETRATOR"
- BattleMech Manual, p. 93 Design Quirk Table - Penetrator Entry.
- Measure of a Hero
- Assumption of Risk (novel)
- Combat Operations
- Impetus of War (novel)
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Measure of a Hero (novel)
- Record Sheets: 3055/3058
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrade
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Technical Readout: 3055
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3150
- Record Sheets: 3150