- This article is about the BattleMech. For the Battle Armor, see Wraith (Battle Armor).
|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Armor||Kallon FWL Special Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||LTV 385 XL|
|Communications System||CurtissComm Mk I|
|Targeting Tracking System||Dynatec 2780|
|Heat Sinks||10 double|
|Jump Jets||CurtissJet 55|
The Wraith marked Curtiss Militech's entry into BattleMech production. When the design was announced, many felt that the design would be little more than a walking water cooler. What the critics got was a shock. The Wraith is a 'Mech that, when properly employed, can wreak havoc on an enemy with its astounding speed and maneuverability. It is built around a massive LTV 385 XL engine that allows it to reach speeds of just under 119 km/h. The 'Mech is also fitted with seven CurtissJet 55 jump jets which allow it to jump up to two hundred and ten meters, giving it the ability to outmaneuver most BattleMechs in existence, and also allowing the Wraith to quickly traverse any rough terrain. The 'Mech's speed, firepower, and decent armor make the Wraith a considerable threat to many 'Mechs, some almost twice its weight. Following the destruction of its sole factory, Curtiss Hydroponics announced its withdrawal from the military market altogether and the sale of its Curtiss Militech assets. By 3085, Hellespont Industrials have expressed interest in the Wraith; and by 3145 production was ongoing at one of Hellespont Industrials locations in the Sian Commonality for Capellan use.
Weapons and Equipment
The Wraith has a simple, yet effective, weapons payload. The 'Mech is armed with a Tronel XIII large pulse laser that provides the majority of its firepower. Backing this up is a pair of Tronel XII medium pulse lasers that provide firepower for close-in work. This pulse laser weaponry allows the 'Mech to negate most of the side effects on accuracy that are introduced by the Wraith's heavy use of jump jets, making it incredibly accurate and powerful for such a lightly armed 'Mech.
- A modification of the Wraith made by the Word of Blake, the TR3 replaces the two medium pulse lasers with two ER medium lasers, while one of the jump jets is removed to make room for an improved C3 computer, making the Wraith an incredibly powerful point 'Mech for units equipped with C3i equipment. BV (1.0) = 1,111; BV (2.0) = 1,310
- The TR5 brings the Wraith into the modern era with a number of improvements. A large X-pulse laser is now the main gun in the right arm, increasing the range but keeping the accuracy of the TR1. Likewise the original medium pulse lasers have been replaced with medium X-pulse lasers. A smaller engine slows the 'Mech down slightly to 96 km/h, but a right torso–mounted supercharger allows the TR5 to surpass the speeds of earlier variants with short bursts of over 120 km/h. Improved jump jets give the TR5 the same jump distance as the TR1, but for less heat. Thirteen double heat sinks are used, but these struggle to keep heat from the lasers and jump jets in check, so care must be used by TR5 pilots. BV (2.0) = 1,581
- TR2-P Wraith Pocahontas
- Debuting in 3141 on the Tennessee Valley Arena and piloted by Ira Kuhn-Bedard, this variant takes the best features of this hundred-year-old machine and makes it even better. Clan ferro-lamellor armor improves its resistance to nearly all forms of damage and is combined with a Clan-spec XL engine model instead of the original Inner Sphere one to improve endurance, MASC to boost its land speed, and four Clan ER medium lasers that replace all of the original weaponry. A hatchet has been fitted to make it more appealing to the viewers of the Solaris Games. BV (2.0) = 2,051
- TR2-X Wraith Alexander
- Developed under the guidance of Angelique Claw for Zellbrigen Stables, the Wraith Alexander combines experimental technology from the Clans and Inner Sphere to create a unique 'Mech. The use of a Clan-made XL engine keeps the speed high, and allows for the installation of more equipment. The jump jets, endo steel structure, and snub-nose PPC are of Inner Sphere manufacture, but the two ER medium lasers, ferro-fibrous armor, and twin partial wings were built by the Clans. The partial wings increase the Wraith's jump range to 270 meters. BV (2.0) = 1,816
The Wraith has the following Design Quirks:
One notable Wraith pilot was Aris Sung from House Hiritsu, who used the agility of his machine to great effect during the Capellan-St. Ives War.
- In German products, the unit's proper name was translated to Spuk. The model code was accordingly changed to SP1.
Original Wraith from TRO:3055
Wraith from TRO:3055 Upgrade
Experimental TR2-X Wraith "Alexander" from XTRO:Gladiators
Wraith from RGilClan: vol. 25
TR1 Wraith from BTTCG
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, pp. 134–135: "TR1 Wraith"
- ↑ Field Manual: 3145, p. 29: "Sian Commonality"
- ↑ MUL online date for the Wraith
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, pp. 46–47: "Wraith 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Technical Readout: 3055, pp. 50–51: "Wraith 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ Field Manual: 3145, p. 29: "Sian Commonality"
- ↑ Field Manual: 3085, p. 22: "Sian Commonality"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 170
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 25, p. 13
- ↑ Experimental Technical Readout: Royal Fantasy, p. 18: "TR2-P Wraith Pocahontas"
- ↑ Experimental Technical Readout: Gladiators, p. 4
- ↑ BattleMech Manual, p. 95: Design Quirk Table - Wraith entry
- ↑ The Capellan Solution (series)
- BattleMech Manual
- The Capellan Solution (series)
- Experimental Technical Readout: Gladiators
- Experimental Technical Readout: Royal Fantasy
- Field Manual: 3145
- The Killing Fields (novel)
- Master Unit List
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrade
- Record Sheets: 3055/3058
- Technical Readout: 3055
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade
- Threads of Ambition (novel)