|Manufacturer||General Motors, Ceres Metals Industries|
|Communications System||Dalban Micronics|
|Targeting Tracking System||Dalban AQ|
|Jump Jets||Whitworth Jetlift|
The Blackjack was designed by General Motors in a bid for a fire support and counter-insurgency 'Mech. The prototype version of the Blackjack was designed to carry Flamers, but were replaced with two light autocannons in the production version of the 'Mech. In long range engagements, the Blackjack has lackluster performance. Where the 'Mech excels is in close quarters combat because its short ranged weapons, jumping distance of up to one hundred and twenty meters, and heavy armor make it a devastating street fighter.
 Weapons and Equipment
The Blackjack carries two Whirlwind-L Autocannon/2s for long range, direct fire support. These autocannons provide excellent reach at the cost of damage capability. For close combat, the Blackjack has four Intek Medium Lasers. These lasers, when combined with the Blackjacks maneuverability, make the 'Mech very dangerous in an urban setting.
- Early Blackjack prototype differed from the production model significantly. It was armed with twin GM Flashpoint flamers and additional heat sinks in place of each autocannon, it was powered by a VOX 225 power plant allowing it for greater speed than the later models, but lacked the jumpjets. 
- The BJ-2 upgrade of the Blackjack upgrades the 'Mech with two Diverse Optics Sunbeam ER Large Lasers and four Hovertec Streak SRM-2 launchers. This variant also upgrades the heat sinks to double strength versions. [note, the BJ-2 was errata'd to use double heat sinks by FASA Corporation after its release] BV (1.0) = 858, BV (2.0) = 1,148
- Built by the Capellan Confederation on St. Ives during the Fourth Succession War, this 'Mech was probably the first in decades if not centuries to feature Double Heat Sinks, a revolutionary re-discovered technology. It is implied that the heat sinks were actually stolen from the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth, but in any case the BJ-3 was the first regular variant to employ them again as part of its standard loadout (as opposed to field refits or ancient Star League era 'Mechs). The superior heat dissipation allowed the 'Mech to be equipped with two Ceres Arms Smasher PPCs and four Medium Lasers.
The majority of the BJ-3 models were turned over to the Federated Suns by the St. Ives Compact after the Fourth Succession War, following that state's secession from the Confederation during the war, but production continued domestically within the St. Ives Compact, predominantly but not exclusively for St. Ives Compact forces, afterwards. BV (1.0) = 1,099, BV (2.0) = 1,271
- Many Blackjacks in the Federated Suns were upgraded to this model during the FedCom Civil War. A half-ton of armor is removed, though it is upgraded to Light Ferro-Fibrous, resulting in almost the same amount of armor protection. All the weapons of the BJ-2 were stripped out and a Light Fusion Engine was included to free up additional mass. Each arm mounts a Light Autocannon/5 and an ER Medium Laser. CASE-protected magazines provide enough ammo bins to allow the BJ-4 to make use of special munitions. A Targeting Computer makes all the weapons more accurate. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 1,063
 Related OmniMechs
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, 2nd Ed., p. 48
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3039, p. 128 states, "The Blackjack's original role was to help suppress insurgent forces (mainly in the Periphery) that challenged Star League authority in the decades before its fall."
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Combat Operations, p. 126
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 110
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3039, p. 128
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 111
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 112
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 47
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 111
- ↑ Proprietary short story
- ↑ Battlepack: Fourth Succession War, p. 37 "New 'Mechs - BJ-3 Blackjack"
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 113
- ↑ Objective Raids, p.148
- ↑ Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 73
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3058, p. 88
- Combat Operations
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Battlepack Fourth Succession War
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades