- Did You Know? - Fan made TRO 3028 is better than the originals!
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Krupp Stellar Technologies, Inc.|
|Armor||PanzerFerro Type 7F|
|Engine||Nisson 280 XL|
|Communications System||Krupp-COMM 650 w/Guardian ECM|
|Targeting Tracking System||KBC Hypersight Model 5|
|Heat Sinks||11 (22)|
The brainchild of Stefan Amaris, the Dragoon BattleMech was envisioned as part of Amaris's ambitious plan to create a family of "modular" multi-mission combat units for his Amaris Empire Armed Forces. In the year following the Amaris Coup, now-Emperor Amaris would have a means to make his dream into reality, and he began swiftly issuing contracts which would lead to the creation of the Dragoon.
Built by Krupp Stellar Technologies Inc. as their second BattleMech design, the Dragoon was designed with a similar modular subsystem akin to the Mercury BattleMech. With this system, the 'Mech's maintenance loads would be eased. Its modular nature would allow repair depots and factories to be able to reconfigure the design's weapons systems and its power plant for any needed mission-specific specs.
Produced in limited numbers, only the elite of Amaris's regiments and a select few of Amaris's loyal chosen would receive the design and its variants. The design would see service in the Star League Civil War, often being salvaged by the Star League Defense Force. However, after the liberation of Terra, General Kerensky would order the purging of the design and the retooling of Krupp's two Dragoon production lines. The few remaining Dragoons in service elsewhere would become extinct before the 3rd Succession War.
Weapons and Equipment
Armed with only a few, but powerful weapons found only in the 'Mech's arms, the Dragoon makes use of a pair of Krupp 120 KgK 78 L/66 LB 10-X Autocannons. Backup is given in the form of a long-reaching Blankenburg Technologies 200 ER PPC.
Powered by one of Nissan's 280-rated XL Fusion Engines, the 'Mech is able to achieve a modest pace of 64 kph. Its defenses include a Guardian ECM Suite, while its armored hull is protected by 11.5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor.
- AEM-002 Dragoon
- Designed as a short-ranged fighter, the Dragoon 02 is armed with a single ER PPC, the remaining weapons space is filled by five Medium Lasers, a Small Pulse Laser, and an AC/20. At the price of dropping its jump jets, the 'Mech's engine has been upgraded to an XL 350 to allow the 'Mech to close in quicker than the original model.
- AEM-003 Dragoon
- Designed as a long-range fire support unit, the Dragoon 03 retains the same engine specifications of the Dragoon 01 model. Its principal weaponry includes 3 Artemis IV FCS-guided 15-tubed LRM Launchers with 2 tons of CASE-protected ammunition. Backup weapons include a single Medium Laser, with a duo of Medium and Small Pulse Lasers for close-in defense.
- Used by the rebuilt ComGuard First Division, this Dragoon variant carries an Angel ECM Suite, Improved C3 Computer, an LB-10X, Plasma Rifle, and a pair of Medium X-Pulse Lasers. It also has three jump jets for a maximum jump range of 90 meters, and is protected by fourteen and a half tons of Clan-built Ferro-Lamellor armor. Two tons of LB-X ammunition are protected by CASE II. BV (2.0) = 1,893
The design has the following Design Quirks:
- Lancelot - In many respects the Dragoon is the larger brother to Krupp's first BattleMech design, the Lancelot, with a similar body design and visual style.
As of this writing, there are no official record sheets for the early Dragoon's variants (AEM-002, -003, and -004).
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 144-145 & 157 "AEM-01 Dragoon"
- Turning Points: Epsilon Eridani, p. 25