|Engine||GM 375 XL|
|Communications System||Duoteck 195 (Faust/Calliope FM-4)|
|Targeting Tracking System||Faust/Shinji AT/TS|
|Heat Sinks||15 Double Heat Sinks|
The Flashman is a underrated heavy 'Mech, commonly called a "flashbulb" by MechWarrior for its heavy-energy configuration. The Flashman, which was first introduced in 2701, is a 'Mech that is capable of engaging an enemy for extended periods of time with little re-supply. This made it one of the most prized 'Mechs in a commander's arsenal during the Star League and saw heavy use by line regiments, typically in a "fire brigade" role for heavy and assault lances. During advances it would stay to the rear to protect against ambushes and provide fire support for its lancemates.
Towards the end of the Star League several divisions had battalions composed of nothing but Flashmen, and thanks to its popularity these 'Mechs saw frequent use on the front lines. When the League dissolved the design spread among the Successor States but fewer than 500 Flashmen were still operational at the start of the First Succession War. Their heavy use during this fighting saw many destroyed and production of new 'Mechs abruptly stopped in 2796 when Renault-Prime Industries on Wasat was destroyed. The Flashman was saved from extinction thanks to Defiance Industries which was able to acquire the schematics and produced a downgraded version at their Hesperus II plant.
Thanks to the fact that they owned the only remaining Flashman factory and could replace their combat losses, the Lyran Commonwealth remained the largest user of Flashman 'Mechs throughout the Succession Wars - at least until the unveiling of the Com Guards. ComStar also supplied examples of downgraded Flashmen to the Draconis Combine as part of Operation Rosebud. Following the recovery of the Helm Memory Core Defiance Industries was able to restart production of original-model Flashman 'Mechs in the 3050s and built new variants for ComStar. After the Word of Blake seized control of Defiance Industries they also produced new variants which were supplied to their Militia for the Jihad.
Weapons and Equipment
The primary weapons on the Flashman are three Selitex Radonic Large Lasers mounted in the right arm, left arm, and center torso. These are backed up by five Ichiba 3000 Medium Lasers, two mounted in either arm coaxial to the large lasers, in either side torso, and one of which is mounted in the rear of the 'Mech to ward off attackers. The Flashman also carries a Buzzsaw Anti-Missile System with one ton of ammo in the right torso to defend against missile attacks and a Zippo Mark X Anti-Personnel Flamer in the head deter infantry attacks.
The use of a Faust/Shinji AT/TS targeting-tracking system gives the Flashman a level of accuracy few can match, while fifteen double heat sinks give it an effective heat management system. The 'Mech is also notable for using an extralight engine which makes it fast for its size, though not at the expense of protection thanks to thirteen and a half tons of armor.
- A far cry from the fast and deadly 8K Flashman, the 7K model is a downgraded version that was produced by Defiance Industries in 2796 after the destruction of the Renault-Prime factories, using a blueprint that was acquired prior to the factory’s destruction. The advanced extralight engine was no longer being produced though, and with a standard Vlar 300 the design now has a top speed of only 64.8 km/h. In addition, the center torso laser and AMS was also removed and the double heat sinks replaced with standard versions. The design now carries two arm-mounted Thunderbolt A5M large lasers and five Defiance BM3 medium lasers. Surprisingly, the armor protection has not been sacrificed in any way, which has resulted in the 7K being more durable than the SLDF version due to its lack of an XL engine. The 7K used the Faust/Calliope FM-4 communications system and the TharHes Ares-7 targeting and tracking system. Following the reintroduction of the 8K production of this model ceased. BV (1.0) = 1,192, BV (2.0) = 1,480
- The first variant produced by Word of Blake in 3068 following their conquest of Hesperus II, the 9B utilizes a Light Fusion Engine, Compact Gyro, Endo Steel structure, Light Ferro-Fibrous armor, and a Small Cockpit. Twelve double heat sinks struggle to cool the all-laser configuration. Two ER Large Lasers enable the Flashman to strike from long distances. Two ER Medium Lasers, two Medium Pulse Lasers, and an ER Small Laser are powerful up close. A C3i Computer enables the 9B to share targeting telemetry with other, like-equipped units. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 1,600
- The 9C, a complete overhaul of the Flashman produced by Defiance Industries for ComStar in 3061, carries three ER large lasers, five medium lasers, and an improved C3 computer. In order to accomplish this, the armor on the design has been upgraded to Ferro-Fibrous and the 'Mech now has an Endo Steel chassis. BV (1.0) = 1,393, BV (2.0) = 1,779
- This second Word of Blake variant, introduced in 3070 and built for House Marik forces loyal to the Blakists, is less flashy than the 9B but still effective. Like that variant, the 9M utilizes an Endo Steel chassis and a Light Engine, although it is a smaller engine with a top speed of 64 km/h to enable this Flashman to mount paired Heavy PPCs. Unfortunately its heat dissipation system is strained to the limit just to keep up with the powerful cannons. Up close, four medium lasers and four medium pulse lasers deliver withering firepower, while the addition of a Small Laser seems an afterthought. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 1,895
- MUL online date for the Flashman
- Combat Operations, p. 129
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 215
- Technical Readout: 2750, p. 44-45
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 92-92
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 272-273
- Combat Operations, p. 131
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 159
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 96
- Combat Operations, p. 123
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 126
- Combat Operations
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 2750
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade