|Production Year||Clan Invasion era|
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Targeting Tracking System||unknown|
However, Randall Bills had issued a ruling as Catalyst Game Labs' incumbent BattleTech Line Developer to the effect that all Hero 'Mech background information from MWO is considered canonical for (CGL) BattleTech. Since there are two Sun Spider Hero 'Mechs, it follows that the Sun Spider as such must also be considered canon, irrespective of whether CGL themselves have any rights to the design. When this was later brought to the attention of Assistant Line Developer Ray "Adrian Gideon" Arrastia (with Brent Evans having succeeded Bills as Line Developer since), Arrastia did not give a clear answer but did not rescind Bills' ruling either.
Some doubts remain though, and as a precaution the Sun Spider is tagged as apocryphal although it may actually turn out to be fully canonical after all.
While only entering production proper in the wake of Operation REVIVAL, the Sun Spider originated centuries earlier, in the years following Clan Coyote's introduction of the OmniMech concept. Clan Goliath Scorpion recognized the game-changing nature of the technology, but repeatedly lost every Trial trying to acquire it as the Coyotes pressed their technological advantage. Shamed by their continued losses, the Scorpions' then-Scientist-General Patkirk took matters into his own hands, opening secret discussions with former Clan Widowmaker elements within Clan Wolf's Scientist Caste, playing on the shame they still felt for the actions of their former Clan and the Scorpion's honorable dealings in the Widowmaker Absorption to guilt them into sharing OmniMech data as an act of surkairede.
Recognizing his Warrior Caste would be incensed with how he acquired the data in an unClan-like fashion, but gambling that supplying the still desperately needed Omni technology would mitigate this dishonor, Patkirk secretly initiated development of what he would proudly name the Sun Spider. Unfortunately, without the full manufacturing and scientific might of Clan Goliath Scorpion, the prototype was heavily flawed, most notably requiring far longer than average to swap out its OmniPods. When the Scorpion warriors finally acquired salvageable OmniMechs during an honorable raid against Clan Fire Mandrill's Kindraa Payne, a humiliated Patkirk quietly buried the Sun Spider to focus on reverse-engineering new Scorpion machines.
Each successive Goliath Scorpion Scientist-General knew of this dark secret in their Clan's history, but all chose to keep that secret until the material losses of the REVIVAL era convinced the modern holder of the post to reveal the existence of the Sun Spider to his leaders. The shocked Khan eventually ordered that it enter limited production as a way to jumpstart manufacturing of a new OmniMech, with centuries of know-how to solve the original's design flaws.
Weapons and Equipment
Weighing in at seventy tons, the Sun Spider makes use of all weight-saving technology available to the Goliath Scorpions in the Revival era. Comparing favorably to other Clan staples such as the Summoner, the Sun Spider is built around a 350-rated Extralight fusion engine which propels it to 81.0 kph, while an Endo Steel frame saves weight for fourteen Double Heat Sinks and thirty-one tons of pod space. The design's defensive coverage suffers somewhat for that offensive payload, with the Sun Spider clad in just nine and half tons of Ferro-Fibrous plating.
The Sun Spider Prime is built for short-range combat and carries a pair of Streak SRM-6 launchers in each arm, supported at range by Ultra AC/10 and an ER Large Laser in the right and left torsos, respectively. Two tons of Ultra Autocannon reloads and three tons of Streak SRM missiles are more than adequate for Clan Trials.
- Alt. Config. B
- A mixed-range combatant, the Sun Spider B is built around a right-torso mounted Gauss Rifle, supported by a left-torso ER Large Laser and matched Streak SRM-6 and ER Medium Lasers in each arm. An Anti-Missile System and a Light Active Probe in the left torso prevent the B from being caught unaware, carrying two tons of Gauss and Streak reloads along with a single ton of AMS ammo and an extra double heat sink.
- Alt. Config. D
- An short-ranged brawler, the Sun Spider D carries a mammoth Ultra AC/20 in each arm, with just a pair of Heavy Machine Guns in the right torso as supporting weapons. Lacking in ranged weapons, an ECM Suite is fitted in the left torso to try and assist in closing with its foes so it can make full use of the four tons of Ultra ammunition and single ton HMG bin.
- SNS-ML Sun Spider 'Manul'
- The custom config of Star Colonel Tabok of the Fourth Scorpion Cuirassiers, the 'Manul' Hero 'Mech is a ranged energy boat with an ER PPC and ER Large Laser in each arm. Its only other weapon is an ER Small Laser in the left torso. 'Manul' is fitted with AMS and single ton of reloads, the remaining weight devoted to nine extra double heat sinks.
- SNS-VG Sun Spider 'Vanguard'
- Second of two Hero 'Mechs for the Sun Spider, the Vanguard mounts an LB 5-X AC in each side torso alongside a left-torso mounted ER PPC, for close range support a single Streak SRM-2 in the left and a pair of Streak SRM-4 in the right arm are carried. Three tons each of LBX and Streak ammunition provide good field endurance.