|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Chassis||Norse Medium SE5-3C|
|Armor||Valiant Lamellor Special Heavy Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Pitban 320 Light|
|Communications System||O/P AIR500|
|Targeting Tracking System||DLK Type Phased Array Sensor System|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
|Speed||129 km/h (172 km/h with MASC)|
|BV (2.0)||813 |
Named after the shield that was the primary means of defense for the Scottish Highlanders of Terra, the Targe is a lackluster recon and cavalry design born of compromise.
While having a long history of building solid, if unspectacular, designs such as the Crab and Black Watch, upon Northwind's entry into the Republic of the Sphere, Cosara Weaponries looked towards developing a new 'Mech for the new-born Republic's military to shake off this reputation and add to its profit margin. Researching what the equipment the fledgling RAF had access to, what it would need as it expanded and what Cosara could realistically produce, the end result was strict guidelines for a medium 'Mech capable of exceeding 160 kph for short periods, whose primary weapon was a missile system supported by lasers. Unwilling to compromise on these requirements, the end result was itself compromised, with purchases from the famed Northwind Highlanders far exceeding limited sales to the hesitant RAF. Cosara would continue to tinker to try and enhance the maligned design, producing a few hundred before its assembly lines were assigned to civilian production during the Republic era.
Unwilling to utilize an expensive and fragile XL Engine, Cosara hedged their bets with a slightly heaver Pitban 320 rated Light Fusion Engine, capable of reaching 172 kph in short bursts when the MASC is engaged, but taking up taking up nearly half the 'Mech's weight. The use of Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor maximized the five tons available for armor coverage, while ten Double Heat Sinks could easily cope with the design's heat output.
Weapons and Equipment
Caught between the need to devote weight to the 'Mech's large engine and provide adequate armor coverage, the Targes weapons array was exceedingly limited. While not their first choice, Cosara's experience with the Black Watch led them to select a Shigunga MRM-10 Launcher as the Targe's primary weapon, supported by a trio of Diverse Optics ER Small Lasers. A single ton of reloads, twenty-four shots, was carried in a CASE protected ammo bay.
- This variant introduced in 3084 mounts a smaller engine to free up the weight for a Multi-Missile Launcher, with Artemis IV aid, as originally intended. It also replaces two of the ER small lasers with ER Medium Lasers for greatly improved combat abilities. The 2N removes the CASE for extra armor, and any good will Cosara earned with the enhanced weapons bay was lost after they moved the missile ammunition into the heavily armored legs, raising concerns from MechWarriors that MASC overloads would cause the munitions to explode. BV (2.0) = 1,078
- Dark Age
- A variant of the Targe sighted during the Dark Age era was constructed on an Endo-Steel frame and powered by an XL Fusion Engine. Carrying a Guardian ECM Suite, the variant was armed with three Diverse Optics ER Medium Lasers and a single Shigunga LRM-10 in the center torso.
- Technical Readout: 3085, pp. 72-73, "TRG-1N Targe"
- MUL online date for the Targe
- Record Sheets: 3085 Print Edition, p. 53
- MUL online data for the Targe TRG-2N variant
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 109
- MUL online data for the Targe TRG-3M variant
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 110