Treaty of Cerberus
The Treaty of Cerberus, sometimes referred to as the "Peace of Cerberus" was the formal treaty between the Outworlds Alliance and the Star League that ended the Star League campaign against the Alliance and brought the Alliance into the Star League as an autonomous protectorate.
The treaty was signed on the 25th of July 2585 by President Grigori Avellar of the Outworlds Alliance and Major General Franklin Barnex, with Barnex representing First Lord Ian Cameron, and ended five years of active warfare between the Star League and the Alliance. The treaty came into effect on the 1st of August 2585, and was the result of two months of active negotiations between Outworlds Alliance and Star League officials, although it had been preceded by four months of brokering by a third party, First Prince Alexander Davion of the Federated Suns through his youngest son Lawrence.
The binding provisions within the final treaty were somewhat different to the original demands made by the Outworlds Alliance; the initial position of the Alliance and President Avellar consisted of two demands - that the Alliance be granted the same rights and freedoms as any other Star League member nation, and that General Amos Forlough, the original commander of the Star League invasion force, be tried along with his immediate subordinates on Alpheratz for genocide and war crimes. The final provisions of the treaty included the following:
- The Outworlds Alliance would retain its autonomy as a state.
- The Outworlds Alliance would fall under the direction of the Periphery Policy Council on Terra, reporting as a Star League Protectorate.
- The Outworlds Alliance would cede fourteen worlds to the Draconis Combine.
- The Outworlds Alliance would cede nine worlds to the Federated Suns.
- The Star League would provide economic and technological assistance to repair and rebuild the Outworlds Alliance.
The Treaty of Cerberus gave the Outworlds Alliance a unique position amongst the various Periphery states incorporated into the Star League as Protectorates; the Alliance had not surrendered unconditionally, and had retained the right to self-government under Star League direction, along with retaining more than half of the systems that had been members of the Alliance when the campaign against the Alliance began.
- Bad News
- Groveld III
- Nexus Ri
The Tancredi Accord signed in secret between the Federated Suns and Outworlds Alliance in 2581 had already agreed that the Alliance would cede a number of worlds to House Davion in exchange for covert military aid; the Treaty of Cerberus effectively ratified this decision, with the Federated Suns gaining the following worlds:
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 126, "Peace In Our Time"
- The Star League, p. 50, "Outworlds Alliance War"
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p. 39, "Strategy of Savagery"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 157, "The Terms Of Outworlds Freedom"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 106, "Reunification War: Outworlds Alliance Front Deployments (2581)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 110, "Preparations"
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p. 37, "War For The Outworlds Alliance"